Will the new Bold 9930/9900 have 4G data on CDMA phones, i.e Sprint? I understand that one or the other, 9930 or 9900, will have 4G data speed on GSM networks with HSPA+, like Verizon or AT&T. If I have Sprint, will this new phone leave me stuck with 3G speed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 02:01 AM
    No.

/Endpost.
    06-09-11 02:08 AM
    IF you got a Bold 9930 from Sprint, and used it in Europe (which you'd have to use the GSM band) then it'd be HSPA+ or 3.5 G lol...but NO unfortunatly the Sprint or Verizon Bold 9930 won't be 4G, but it'll have a 1.2ghz processor in it that'll make it fly, also switch it to wi-fi and if you have excellent broadband internet at home, then you'll get the best speeds from it. I can't wait to get my Bold 9930 sit on my backyard deck, switch to wi-fi and jet thru music and radio streams and use the browser.

06-09-11 07:09 AM
    Who gives a rats a$$ about 4G? It drains the battery faster than water from a faucet. Not to mention it isn't everywhere yet.....I'm not that impatient that I cannot wait about five more seconds for my data to arrive. It's not a HUGE deal.
    leftypepper716 and Jake2826 like this.
    06-09-11 08:02 AM
    Who gives a rats a$$ about 4G? It drains the battery faster than water from a faucet. Not to mention it isn't everywhere yet.....I'm not that impatient that I cannot wait about five more seconds for my data to arrive. It's not a HUGE deal.
    I'm in the metro-Detroit area, and 4G isn't here nor do I think it will be avaiable in metro-Detroit until NEXT year. The Sprint call center CSR made a great point in the fact that two factors go into getting 4G out to cities, one, the MOST economical, 2nd, the area(s) where there are MORE Sprint customers. So agreed, the whole 4G to me isn't that big of deal until next year or 2013.
    06-09-11 08:22 AM
    I agree. Give me decent internet speeds and good battery life any day.
    06-11-11 02:54 PM
    I thought 4g would be great, switched from BB to evo on Sprint. One thing 4g is good for - draining your battery to empty in 3 or 4 hours without even surfing or downloading. Oh yeah - and costing an extra $10 a month on Sprint. Looking forward to getting new 9930 and dropping the $10 / month and getting some decent battery life again, maybe I can get through a day without charging and worrying about where I'll be when battery goes dead. (yes I could get extended battery, but how much money do I have to invest in a phone to make it work properly?)
    In my experience Sprint 4g is about 10% faster surfing, but about 500% faster draining your battery. I've only had my 4g radio on about 5 or 6 times in the past year because of this. In St. Louis if that makes a difference.
    06-14-11 06:31 AM
    Don't expect a 4G BlackBerry until there is a reliable dual-mode 3G/4G chipset available in production. Current devices require 2 separate chipsets that make the units larger, eat batteries, and generally take on undesirable issues. Besides, Sprint will be abandoning the WiMax 4G and pushing forward with LTE, making a 4G BlackBerry moot, for now.

06-14-11 06:59 AM
    I thought 4g would be great, switched from BB to evo on Sprint. One thing 4g is good for - draining your battery to empty in 3 or 4 hours without even surfing or downloading. Oh yeah - and costing an extra $10 a month on Sprint. Looking forward to getting new 9930 and dropping the $10 / month and getting some decent battery life again, maybe I can get through a day without charging and worrying about where I'll be when battery goes dead.
    No you need to pay for "Premium data packages" now.

Lame but true.

And no it won't have 4G

06-14-11 07:05 AM
    RIM is better off sticking with 3G devices,at least for another year.This is especially true in Sprint's case if they do in fact switch from WiMax to LTE as their primary 4G technology.Phone processors and battery tech will be much more efficient in another year. Let the EVO and Thunderbolt owners be the 4G guinea pigs.EVDO Rev.A + RIM's servers,along with with WiFi,are more than adaquate to get us through til' next year.

Last edited by experiment626; 06-14-11 at 10:05 AM.
    06-14-11 09:59 AM
    On Sprint they where smart NOW they say $10.00 extra on your $69.99 plan for any new smartphone you upgrade from your old one, instead of last years $10.00 additional data fee (can't charge $10 more for a 4G you can't receive) lol

06-14-11 02:58 PM
    It's true. Any new smartphone on Sprint is charged an extra $10/month. Makes my family plan with 4 phones only $10/month cheaper on Sprint than Verizon. Probably switch to get better reception for the three other people on my plan always complaining about poor reception. Unfortunately Sprint used to be the affordable carrier, now just getting greedy also.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    06-14-11 05:53 PM
    I'll go ahead and assume that none of you are power or business users on Verizon's LTE network with the junk that's being posted in here about 4G. The best part about Verizon's 4G is that you can send data while on voice calls. I'm amazed that no one mentioned this.

The 9930 not being 4G is a huge disappointment to me at the least because I wanted to go back to a smart phone with a vertical keyboard and 4G. No horizontal sliders but a touchscreen and 4G is a must. Does RIM think their business will stop declining by not including 4G in what's supposed to be one of their new flagship phones? Many of you seem to like to pretend that RIM is on top of the smartphone world when they're really a distant third and losing ground every month.
    06-29-11 04:06 PM
    I'll go ahead and assume that none of you are power or business users on Verizon's LTE network with the junk that's being posted in here about 4G. The best part about Verizon's 4G is that you can send data while on voice calls. I'm amazed that no one mentioned this.

The 9930 not being 4G is a huge disappointment to me at the least because I wanted to go back to a smart phone with a vertical keyboard and 4G. No horizontal sliders but a touchscreen and 4G is a must. Does RIM think their business will stop declining by not including 4G in what's supposed to be one of their new flagship phones? Many of you seem to like to pretend that RIM is on top of the smartphone world when they're really a distant third and losing ground every month.
    I see it won't work for you but many here (yes there are a lot that aren't business users) we don't care or don't want an extra charge for something that isn't even where we live.

I guess we won't be seeing you in the RIM section of the forum. Be well.
    06-29-11 04:15 PM
    I've experiences zero problems with "speed" on my current BB 9650 with sprint...
    ...I'm sure 3G will be just fine for the new Bold touch given it's bigger engine under the hood.
    ithinkin10 likes this.
    06-29-11 04:50 PM
    I would like to just have 3G for now on the bb. I do not want to sacrifice battery life. That is a big plus for me. I leave the house and to work, I don't want have to worry about the battery. I will still have a spare on hand but that is way smaller(now in the bold 99 series) in the bold. So that 4g is a battery vampire lol.
    06-29-11 06:27 PM
    On Sprint they where smart NOW they say $10.00 extra on your $69.99 plan for any new smartphone you upgrade from your old one, instead of last years $10.00 additional data fee (can't charge $10 more for a 4G you can't receive) lol

I have finally seen a Sprint commercial where they are just advertising the price as $79.99 instead of the old $69.99. At least, they are now advertising it, instead of luring in new customers and slapping them with the $10 fee once they begin to signup.
    06-30-11 06:19 AM
    That was a major reason I didn't even look at the Evo 4G last June, $10.00 extra for 4G in Detroit I couldn't get anyway. Imagaine those people who actually bought an Evo 4G in June 2010 and kept paying the additional $10.00 data premium fee until Sprint changed it to $10.00 addtionial fee for a new smartphone upgrade. They paid well over $120.00 MORE for a 4G that wasn't even available.

07-01-11 07:23 AM
    And sounds like everyone will paying that anyway now since it is now all smartphones so I guess you get to feel like you're not paying the extra for 4g that you can't get.
    07-01-11 07:30 AM
    And sounds like everyone will paying that anyway now since it is now all smartphones so I guess you get to feel like you're not paying the extra for 4g that you can't get.
    Exactly! Sprint seen that 4G was no where near being implemented, so they did the smoke & mirrors of "$10.00 starting January 31st for any smartphone upgraded", then flim flammed the Sprint premier customers (me) putting it on a Gold & Silver tier system. I was able to get yearly upgrades $150.00 off, but you have to spend over $89.00 now on single plans to be a Gold tier member. But all in all, my 1500 shared unlimted BlackBerry data plan w/my fiance is $131.00 (less employee discount) and when or if? I get the Bold 9930, it'll go up another $10.00. but again. two devices at 750 mins each, unlimited mobile to any mobile, unlimited text & data for then $140.00 approx, isn't too bad. I priced Verizon for just a single plan and it was $120.00 w/data...so say what you want about Sprint, I've had very few dropped calls, excellent customer service and no problems at all with my old 2008 Curve 8330 (gotta wipe down the trackball every once and a while, but no biggie) and again, hoping the Sprint SKU list is right, Bold 9930 coming around 08/21/11
    07-01-11 08:16 AM
    Yep lefty, never said Sprint was bad or alone in this.
    07-01-11 08:20 AM
    Sprint, Sprint, Sprint. That sucks for all of you. Verizon at the moment doesn't charge extra for their far superior 4G network. Unlimited 3G even got upgraded to unlimited 4G for free once you upgraded your phone. So I'm paying the same amount that I did before I upgraded my phone.

Anyway I'm sure more than a few people would jump to a 4G touchscreen Blackberry flagship phone with a vertical slide out keyboard. Basically a 4G Torch. That could have been new business. Something RIM should be interested in considering their current position in the smartphone world. Instead it was a 3G GSM phone so it failed like all their other consumer phones have.

Everyone here on Crackberry seems to be in their own little myopic bubble. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad.
    Last edited by NOYBS; 07-01-11 at 10:20 AM.
    07-01-11 10:18 AM
    This is what i found on wikipedia "Additionally, the Blackberry Bold 9900 will be the first 4G capable Blackberry under T-Mobile"

BlackBerry Bold 9900 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    07-02-11 12:12 PM
    I thought 4g would be great, switched from BB to evo on Sprint. One thing 4g is good for - draining your battery to empty in 3 or 4 hours without even surfing or downloading. Oh yeah - and costing an extra $10 a month on Sprint. Looking forward to getting new 9930 and dropping the $10 / month and getting some decent battery life again, maybe I can get through a day without charging and worrying about where I'll be when battery goes dead. (yes I could get extended battery, but how much money do I have to invest in a phone to make it work properly?)
    In my experience Sprint 4g is about 10% faster surfing, but about 500% faster draining your battery. I've only had my 4g radio on about 5 or 6 times in the past year because of this. In St. Louis if that makes a difference.
    Sad to say, the 10 charge is no longer just for 4G, but for all smartphone users because the use "Greater Data Services"
    08-12-11 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD