Hi folks,

Just newly picked up my Bold 9900 and I have to say i'm loving it. I have came from a world of iphones and ipads and I have to say I wont go back to my iphone already.

Been reading alot through the forums and I have one question (which may already have been answered/discussed before) but I bought this phone from am friend who said it was sim free factory unlocked. (There is no branding on the case nor any logos when you switch the phone on. But when I updated it I can only get OS version: 7.0 Bundle 2406 (V7.0.0.585, platform 5.0.0.734)

I am in the UK and i'm using 3(Three) as my network provider.

Is it that 7.1 isn't out for Europe/UK yet? Or am I missing the point here!

Any info greatly appreciated.

P.S. As i'm new to the whole Blackberry world, i'm looking out for any BBM firends/groups to join.

Cheers

Dave
    03-14-12 09:23 AM
    Since you are new to BlackBerry, I don't think you should load the leaked OS 7.1 or even an OS from another service provider. I would just spend a little more time with the phone, before load the new OS.

All the best and welcome to the world of BlackBerry.

Also, I never heard of a SIM free Bold 99xx. This is the first time I read about it.
    -------
    Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 using webkit
    web
    03-14-12 09:26 AM
    There are a bunch of different versions of 7.1 that are available, but some of them won't work for your phone (ie. official versions for carriers that aren't yours). There's a leaked version that people have posted links to that you can download and then install on your phone. Or you can wait (like I'm choosing to do) for the officially supported version from your carrier. It's up to you what you want to do. Either way, it's a really nice phone and I hope you enjoy the experience I've had mine for about two weeks and I love it.

JB
    03-14-12 09:29 AM
    Welcome! I've never seen a sim free 9900, but I'm in the States, so it may be a UK/Europe thing.

You can find leaked OS's here: http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-beta-os-f95/

Leaked OS's are good world-wide, as long as your language is supported. My PIN is listed above, feel free to add me, my 11 y.o. girl loves all things European, (English mostly, thanks to Harry Potter) I'm sure she would have me ask you a thing or two, if you don't mind.
    harperdg likes this.
    03-14-12 09:34 AM
    Harperdg, please download the DeskTop software and back up your phone, believe me, if you ever need it, you'll be a happy guy. This link is for the UK version: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software

BlackBerry Protect in App World is your friend as well. Get it, it's handy to restore your contacts and such after an OS upgrade or a horrible event such as a lost/stolen phone.
    harperdg likes this.
    03-14-12 10:02 AM
    And read all the "how to" guides as well. And if you need any help, that's what we are all here for. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your 9900!
    harperdg likes this.
    03-14-12 10:16 AM
    I'd get used to the phone before you start pissing about on it with leaked updates. I'd back it up. around and have fun.

Enjoy.
    03-14-12 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD