Hey guys, I just recently bought the new Bold 9930 from Sprint.
    I had a launch day EVO 4G as a previous phone, the android OS is quite amazing, especially when you root it.
    The only thing that really bothered me is the lack of android phones with hardware keyboards on Sprint. So I was just chilling around one day wondering if sprint is getting a new a blackberry device with 4g. To my surprise, the Bold 9930 was coming out in like 3 days for Sprint, but I just bought it yesterday.

Anyways, great phone, pretty different, but I have questions.

I'm really adjusted with Android, so I know all the kinks and stuff, BB OS 7 is very different.

-Does keeping the phone on Wi-Fi have a lower battery impact than leaving it on 3G? With my EVO, constant Wi-Fi connection put less stress on the battery than 3G/4G

-Is there an App or built in program that allows to browse the SD Card and edit file names and extensions?

-My OS is 7.0.0.241, is there a new OS? I've seen a few threads, but none of them applied to Sprint, is it universal? How do I update the phone, I know there are leaked and beta builds, will it harm my phone? Can I downgrade?

-What are some great apps and notable features for this phone? Is there a tethering option? I really miss 4G and tethering

Still, this is a sexy phone, thanks for your time!
    08-31-11 11:01 AM
    Hey guys, I just recently bought the new Bold 9930 from Sprint.
    I had a launch day EVO 4G as a previous phone, the android OS is quite amazing, especially when you root it.
    The only thing that really bothered me is the lack of android phones with hardware keyboards on Sprint. So I was just chilling around one day wondering if sprint is getting a new a blackberry device with 4g. To my surprise, the Bold 9930 was coming out in like 3 days for Sprint, but I just bought it yesterday.

Anyways, great phone, pretty different, but I have questions.

I'm really adjusted with Android, so I know all the kinks and stuff, BB OS 7 is very different.

-Does keeping the phone on Wi-Fi have a lower battery impact than leaving it on 3G? With my EVO, constant Wi-Fi connection put less stress on the battery than 3G/4G
    -Turning off network and using wifi only is less battery use then network only. Wifi and network is the most use.

-Is there an App or built in program that allows to browse the SD Card and edit file names and extensions?
    -You can brose the card but I find it easier to plug it in to a PC and brose and rename, its quicker

-My OS is 7.0.0.241, is there a new OS? I've seen a few threads, but none of them applied to Sprint, is it universal? How do I update the phone, I know there are leaked and beta builds, will it harm my phone? Can I downgrade?
    -There a leaks, but beware and delete the vendor files. Downgrade if you have the old OS saved.

-What are some great apps and notable features for this phone? Is there a tethering option? I really miss 4G and tethering
    -If you miss somehtign then go back, no ones stopping you. I tether all the time on Rogers, no idea what sprint's policy is.

Still, this is a sexy phone, thanks for your time!
    Good luck with your'e new phone
    08-31-11 11:06 AM
    Will I still be able to receive texts and calls via Wi-Fi only?
    08-31-11 11:20 AM
    Will I still be able to receive texts and calls via Wi-Fi only?
    No you won't be able to. Are you new to cell phones, or just blackberry??
    08-31-11 11:22 AM
    A Note to Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes

Depends on the carrier, Blackberry does have the ability to make and receive service on Wi-Fi, however this is a carrier option that normally as an additional cost. I know Rogers in Canada offers it for $10 a month, but if you have poor service at home they generally waive the fee. It works great over Wi-Fi.
    08-31-11 11:31 AM
    No you won't be able to. Are you new to cell phones, or just blackberry??
    New to blackberry, my android phone, had better battery life with Wi-Fi as the main connection, and 3G on the side.

All internet data went through wi-fi, only calls, texts and mms were 3G
    08-31-11 11:35 AM
    New to blackberry, my android phone, had better battery life with Wi-Fi as the main connection, and 3G on the side.

All internet data went through wi-fi, only calls, texts and mms were 3G
    this option is available for blackberry as well.. but i know it's carrier specific!

I have Rogers and they let you select "Wifi preferred" as the primary connection.. so even though ur mobile network is on ur data comes through your wifi and sms, mms, phone calls go through the 3G/HSPA+ network..

as for battery life .. can't really comment.. but i believe it would have a minimal affect .. but don't quote me on that one.. my battery life right now is at 78%.. took it off the charger at 7:19am.. discharge rate of 3.2% per hour..

this is with Wifi and Bluetooth on .. but neither are connected as i do not have wifi at work..
    08-31-11 02:07 PM
    There's an app called SmartWifi that helps to prevent the BB from constantly looking for a wifi signal when there isn't one, thereby saving battery life. I've used it for a long time and I like it.
    08-31-11 04:05 PM
    There's an app called SmartWifi that helps to prevent the BB from constantly looking for a wifi signal when there isn't one, thereby saving battery life. I've used it for a long time and I like it.
    i use wifi manager. it does the same thing.
    08-31-11 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD