I did it today worked fine. Bought it at one mall drove to another and returned the old battery.
    That was an awful thing to do!! ahaha!!
    10-07-11 07:11 PM
    Called in 2 days ago. I told the man i read online that some batteries were faulty and some on.. also told him my batt would only last 5-6 hours on light use. He told me he couldn't do anything as they only replace batteries that dont start up the phone. Ill try calling again on Monday see if I get someone help that could maybe do it :s
    10-07-11 07:28 PM
    Your solution made me laugh because thats something I would do!!
    That's called "Fraud" and I have a very large retail client who just caught one of their clients doing it on 2 items on the same return, only they changed the serial and model number stickers, then tried to return the item. The retailer is now debating charging the client with fraud. That client is now guaranteed persona non grata there...and some unsuspecting individual will get your returned USED battery, while paying full price.

Very nice...although, I wouldn't be too proud of myself, or advertise your fraudulent intentions or actions on these boards.
    10-07-11 08:37 PM
    My 1st post for a long time lurker, I just want to post my experience on this battery issue.

Got a Bold 9900 from Telus in Canada back in Sept..... the battery only lasts 4-5 hours and will drain while it's OFF, even drain faster while sleeping! Compared to my work Bold 9700 which last 2-3 on busy days and even my previous Torch last 1 1/2 days.

I went to a Telus corporate store this morning asking to *purchase* a new battery to replace the one I am using. The agent ask me the model of the BB so I told him about mine only last 1/2 a day and he said he is aware of the problem and immediately offered to replace the battery for me! He also told me if this new one doesn't last, then bring back the phone for repair. Pls see attached receipt: JM1 in and out for the reason of 'excessive draining'.

I suggest you go to your carrier's corporate store (not sure if this type of stores exists outside of Canada) and not your local dealer... 1st try is a battery swap, then it a repair.
    Last edited by bjctsm3; 10-08-11 at 12:24 PM.
    mssca likes this.
    10-08-11 12:15 PM
    My 1st post for a long time lurker, I just want to post my experience on this battery issue.

Got a Bold 9900 from Telus in Canada back in Sept..... the battery only lasts 4-5 hours and will drain while it's OFF, even drain faster while sleeping! Compared to my work Bold 9700 which last 2-3 on busy days and even my previous Torch last 1 1/2 days.

I went to a Telus corporate store this morning asking to *purchase* a new battery to replace the one I am using. The agent ask me the model of the BB so I told him about mine only last 1/2 a day and he said he is aware of the problem and immediately offered to replace the battery for me! He also told me if this new one doesn't last, then bring back the phone for repair. Pls see attached receipt: JM1 in and out for the reason of 'excessive draining'.

I suggest you go to your carrier's corporate store (not sure if this type of stores exists outside of Canada) and not your local dealer... 1st try is a battery swap, then it a repair.

You got lucky. There is currently no TELUS notice to replace a battery that drains fast.
    Officially, the only batteries that can be replaced are ones that aren't able to charge (you see a red x in the battery icon).

Am curious to know if this new battery solved your issue or are still experiencing rapid drain?
    10-08-11 01:20 PM
    yes, didn't think it was a recall as the rep did not mention anything.. Will post back after a few days re the new battery.
    10-08-11 04:25 PM
    the funny thing about this thread is a life old lession people never learn... takes a few to ruin a good thing.

im sure some of us rogers users who abused replacement berries got a little angered the last time they calling in for a replacement and were told there is a 35 fee (which is still fantastic)

what happened before when your blackberry with rogers broke within a year? you got a replacement after doing a reload. now ask someone on bell or telus or another provider what happens when they have a blackberry... the device is shipped out for repair for 4 - 6 weeks.

not defending the 9900 by any means. i myself went through to many and currently had a completely dead device and a new one that already got jvm 517 (fixed it though)
    10-09-11 04:57 PM
    Good to know there's an issue with the battery, it lasts the same peroid of time as my 9800 torch used to. The other bold models have great long-time battery life, but this one is giving me a headache. I also have a 9900 rogers, but bought it in ny. So that's not a solution for me... That's why I wanted to know if anyone have changed the battery to a 'new one' and seen a way better timing like the 9780/9700.

I thought first it was H+... But I know it isn't now. It's somehow disappointing.

Anyway.... BEST BLACKBERRY EVEER!!!
    10-09-11 05:15 PM
    There is no issue with the battery; the drain is normal for a small battery with an increased processor. In addition I confirmed the replacement batteries are only for very specific 9900s that could not get past the initial booting cycle instead a red X shows in their battery. The replacement batteries people are getting are still JM1 models however they now properly boot. If an agent gave you it due to poor battery life he/she made a mistake and you got lucky. Sadly your battery life will be the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 09:44 PM
    Thank you all to those that have written int to this thread, I have not laughed so hard in a long time as I have reading the vast majority of these posts.

To those clueless people that have the 99xx series phones and are complaining of poor battery life, you desreve what you have gotten. With no prior knowledge you have bought a phone with a smaller capacity battery, for a phone with a larger power requirement. The 99xx phones batteries are not going to last like the older phones, get over it, buy an extra battery, 12vdc cigarette lighter power cord and an extra power cord. Plug the phone in at every oppurtunity.

Yes there were some reports of a small percentage of defective batteries, RIM was aware of it and corrected the problem, move on.

With the NFC antenna built in to the battery door, forget higher capacity batteries, or forget using NFC when it becomes available, those are your options.
    10-11-11 10:42 AM
    Called in 2 days ago. I told the man i read online that some batteries were faulty and some on.. also told him my batt would only last 5-6 hours on light use. He told me he couldn't do anything as they only replace batteries that dont start up the phone. Ill try calling again on Monday see if I get someone help that could maybe do it :s
    Call again and ask to speak with the manager.
    10-11-11 11:05 AM
    Thank you all to those that have written int to this thread, I have not laughed so hard in a long time as I have reading the vast majority of these posts.

To those clueless people that have the 99xx series phones and are complaining of poor battery life, you desreve what you have gotten. With no prior knowledge you have bought a phone with a smaller capacity battery, for a phone with a larger power requirement. The 99xx phones batteries are not going to last like the older phones, get over it, buy an extra battery, 12vdc cigarette lighter power cord and an extra power cord. Plug the phone in at every oppurtunity.

Yes there were some reports of a small percentage of defective batteries, RIM was aware of it and corrected the problem, move on.

With the NFC antenna built in to the battery door, forget higher capacity batteries, or forget using NFC when it becomes available, those are your options.
    From Telus' 9900 page:
    Talk time up to 5.9 hours
    Standby time up to 12.8 days

I think that most of us are not getting even 10% of those numbers.
    10-11-11 12:57 PM
    Talk time could probably get there if you turn on the device with 100% charge and make one single call with no data coming in and no backlight etc...

Standby time could probably also be achieved if you turn the radio's off as well.

That's about the only way I can see it happening.

@ Montyl - thanks for your thoughts...we never would have realized any of this without your immensely valuable input on the matter. Now we can all rest assured that we all screwed up - since you've enlightened us all to the real issues!

One good turn deserves another - so I'll help you as well too!!

Speak & Spell English Learning Centre
    10-11-11 01:08 PM
    FBA - thanks for the link, now maybe I can reduce my dependancy on spellcheck, aye?

RPM-KW - those published times are based on lab conditions, NOT real world use which has too many variables to make any kind of rational numbers (i.e. signal strength, weather interference, etc.)
    10-11-11 01:18 PM
    The new battery is going to have the same life as your old battery. Check the specs on the JM1, it's something like 1230 mAh, that's less than the original Bold 9000 which ran at half the speed. You're wasting your time, accept the garbage battery life and contact Seidio about releasing an extended battery for the 9900.
    10-11-11 01:37 PM
    You got lucky. There is currently no TELUS notice to replace a battery that drains fast.
    Officially, the only batteries that can be replaced are ones that aren't able to charge (you see a red x in the battery icon).

Am curious to know if this new battery solved your issue or are still experiencing rapid drain?
    I disagree. I phoned Telus, not even having read this thread, and the next day a new battery was in the store for me.
    THANK YOU TELUS.!!!
    10-11-11 01:39 PM
    I wonder if Telus would be so nice?
    YES !!! They gave me a new battery, no problem at all !!!
    10-11-11 01:41 PM
    The new battery is going to have the same life as your old battery. Check the specs on the JM1, it's something like 1230 mAh, that's less than the original Bold 9000 which ran at half the speed. You're wasting your time, accept the garbage battery life and contact Seidio about releasing an extended battery for the 9900.

Yes hopefully Seidio will release a higher capacity battery which would increase the use time, the only hitch is going to be the NFC antenna. Because of that Seidio may not release a higher capacity battery.
    10-11-11 02:59 PM
    My thoughts on this: perhaps there are some bad batteries out there and perhaps there are some faulty devices out there.

I just bought another battery from Crackberry and it's still draining fast...even when phone is turned off.

Will be getting a replacement unit soon so I'll advise how that goes.

I only get 5 hours with my unit...just using email for now as I can't afford to do anything else and I don't want to carry a charger around and spare battery around everywhere I go.
    10-11-11 03:03 PM
    My thoughts on this: perhaps there are some bad batteries out there and perhaps there are some faulty devices out there.

I just bought another battery from Crackberry and it's still draining fast...even when phone is turned off.

Will be getting a replacement unit soon so I'll advise how that goes.

I only get 5 hours with my unit...just using email for now as I can't afford to do anything else and I don't want to carry a charger around and spare battery around everywhere I go.
    Replacing your battery is not going to help. There are no known issues with the 99xx battery effecting life or rapid draining.

Have you reinstalled the OS? What 3rd party apps have you installed?
    10-11-11 03:49 PM
    Replacing your battery is not going to help. There are no known issues with the 99xx battery effecting life or rapid draining.

Have you reinstalled the OS? What 3rd party apps have you installed?
    I had .261, .353 and .440 beta all with the same results.

No third party apps...removed them since .261 trying to figure out what was draining my battery. Even powering off drains so that sounds like something with the unit's charging function to me but who knows.
    10-11-11 07:14 PM
    I got 16h out of this phone today with one phone call and 12 emails on .440. The one phone call I made was to Rogers (lost 7% in a 20min call), they said to reinstall the OS (theirs, I didn't tell them I had .440), if that doesn't work they will give me a new phone.
    10-11-11 07:16 PM
    My update: Just got my new unit yesterday and immediately noticed improvement with battery life. I am confident that I can get a days worth now and plus a spare battery to boot. I noticed that there are 2 types: One from Japan and the other from Korea both assembled in Mexico. Both work fine.

So it was my device afterall. Roger's was able to provide me a brand new replacement.

This new unit's touchpad is way too sensitive though but easily remedied by lower the sensitivity.

This unit just rocks with decent battery life.
    10-13-11 11:35 AM
    Rogers rep I just had on the phone told me "no known battery issues" and if I can get through the day on 1 charge that is normal. I explained my 9700 could go several days, but it made no difference to rep. She told me her iphone has to be charged twice during a day, which is worse than my 9900. Totally unhelpful rep with a bad attitude.
    10-13-11 12:02 PM
    @montyl, I undrstand that, but it should come somewhere near that.

Of all the people w/ new batteries, have you seen a difference?
    10-13-11 12:43 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD