So I ordered a 9930 from Verizon which arrived early afternoon Wednesday. I put the battery in, booted it up, and went through the activation process switching it out from my iPhone 4. It initially said 3G in the upper corner and I could make and receive phones calls and text messages. All was good until I realized it wouldn't connect to the blackberry Internet server over Verizon's network, and couldn't open up any webpages. I then realize it said 1x in the corner and the 3G was gone.
    I found that I could hook it up to wifi and it would connect to BIS giving me the four dots in the corner, and pushed the mail through. But without wifi on just over Verizon, it would disconnect from BIS.
    I called Verizon and spent several hours with at least four different techs trying all different kinds of things. One of them told me it's their first job with a OS7 device and they don't even have that much information on it to help yet. It was all trial and error and experimental. A few hours later after passing me from tech to tech, and redoing what was already done, they connected me to blackberry. The blackberry tech went through dome of what they did, and then some other things.
    The final conclusion from blackberry was that the radio was bad in the unit and there was nothing else that could be done to try to fix it. They passed me back to Verizon, and now I'm driving 20 miles to the nearest store that has one in stock to replace it.
    I really love the phone so far, and had myself sold on the switch back from iPhone, but this is an annoying start.
    I also noticed on this model that when I open app world, it continuously makes me click on the license agreement, and won't let me get past that. I hope when I get this new unit in the morning, and it connects to the 3G and BIS network, that that app world glitch that won't allow me to download or log in will be present on that device also. Has anybody else had either of these problems?
    08-17-11 11:34 PM
    Unfortunately you got a defective unit. It's a roll of the dice when you get a new phone. At least you'll get a new unit as a replacement.
    08-17-11 11:42 PM
    The same thing happened to me but tech support helped me over the phone. In the device set up menu you have to select the radio band, after that it authenticated my device and I was good to go.
    08-18-11 05:32 AM
    So I ordered a 9930 from Verizon which arrived early afternoon Wednesday. I put the battery in, booted it up, and went through the activation process switching it out from my iPhone 4. It initially said 3G in the upper corner and I could make and receive phones calls and text messages. All was good until I realized it wouldn't connect to the blackberry Internet server over Verizon's network, and couldn't open up any webpages. I then realize it said 1x in the corner and the 3G was gone.
    I found that I could hook it up to wifi and it would connect to BIS giving me the four dots in the corner, and pushed the mail through. But without wifi on just over Verizon, it would disconnect from BIS.
    I called Verizon and spent several hours with at least four different techs trying all different kinds of things. One of them told me it's their first job with a OS7 device and they don't even have that much information on it to help yet. It was all trial and error and experimental. A few hours later after passing me from tech to tech, and redoing what was already done, they connected me to blackberry. The blackberry tech went through dome of what they did, and then some other things.
    The final conclusion from blackberry was that the radio was bad in the unit and there was nothing else that could be done to try to fix it. They passed me back to Verizon, and now I'm driving 20 miles to the nearest store that has one in stock to replace it.
    I really love the phone so far, and had myself sold on the switch back from iPhone, but this is an annoying start.
    I also noticed on this model that when I open app world, it continuously makes me click on the license agreement, and won't let me get past that. I hope when I get this new unit in the morning, and it connects to the 3G and BIS network, that that app world glitch that won't allow me to download or log in will be present on that device also. Has anybody else had either of these problems?
    Sorry to hear about your issues. Look on the bright side: at least you have some at your local retailer so you don't have to wait for a replacement. With my travel schedule, I won't be in any one place long enough to have it shipped, so I am going to pick up at the VZW store on the 25. None of the locations in my area have any store inventory or even a display! Good luck.
    08-18-11 06:20 AM
    Sorry to hear your issues. Once running you will love the phone. If you havent i would do like someone said and check the bands. Its a world phone make sure its not on gsm from out the box.
    08-18-11 06:34 AM
    Just an update: The next morning I started driving halfway across Long Island to get to the store right when they opened. I called as soon as 10 came halfway there. They told me they have one, that is to be a display model, and they don't know why customer service told me to go there. I called they other place, same thing. I called back customer service, they apologized and said they were sending one out with two day shipping. I told them I wanted to get it overnight, to which they charged me 14 bucks. The new device came, and the radio works perfectly as it should and connects to 3G and the BIS. Although now, I'm trying to figure out why it constantly prompts me with the license agreement in app world and won't let me log in or download in it, as it did with the other device. Also, FYI the changing of the bands in the settings didn't work, that was one of the many things I tried over the phone with them, before getting bumped up to blackberry techs from blackberry that deemed it was a hardware malfunction. Thanks anyway.
    08-20-11 01:05 AM
    Did you sign into BBID?
    08-20-11 01:26 AM
    Yes, I signed into BBID.
    08-20-11 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD