03-06-12 03:46 PM
35 12
tools
    How do you find the lack of apps and limited support for BlackBerry by banks, work, school, etc, etc?
    It's a gimmick, take radio station apps, almost all have individual apps for iphone yet all you need is one app that can play all stations. Same goes for banking apps, although I don't use internet banking.
    03-05-12 04:39 PM
    How do you find the lack of apps and limited support for BlackBerry by banks, work, school, etc, etc?
    The only apps that I'm missing are skype, dropbox (the version for blackberry sucks...) and my banking app, but physical keyboard is more important for me.

Another plus for BlackBerry is that I waste less time on games...
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by estro22; 03-06-12 at 01:11 AM.
    03-06-12 01:08 AM
    The only apps that I'm missing are skype, dropbox (the version for blackberry sucks...) and my banking app, but physical keyboard is more important for me.

Another plus for BlackBerry is that I waste less time on games...
    What features are missing from the BB dropbox app?
    03-06-12 04:00 AM
    I love almost everything about my Bold. Almost. It's a given that the keyboard rocks. The touchscreen *and* trackpad combo I thought was going to be stupid until I used it, then wow. Awesome. The screen is too small with the Crackberry app store up! I cannot read the text under the icons at all.

But what drives me bat-s*** insane is the BACK KEY is nearly indistinguishable by touch from the trackpad! I can't tell you how many times I try to click on something only to go back to the previous screen. It's better than a trackball, but the trackball had the definite advantage of feeling, umm, like a trackball and definitely NOT like a back key.

Oh yeah, crackberry. Make your store touchscreen compatible please.
    03-06-12 07:10 AM
    The battery life comment concerns me. I don't want another device that can't last at least 12 hours.
    Remember that my last two handsets were a Torch 9800 and a Storm 9500. Each of these phones is considerably thicker and heavier than the 9900. They also had room for bigger batteries that gave them upwards of a week of use at a time.

I'm getting maybe a day and a half worth of use from my new Bold. Not quite as good, but still decent.
    03-06-12 11:21 AM
    Amazing design,NFC very good but not yet very used ,tooo smooth with liquid graphics,powerful but sadly the battery is very small!
    03-06-12 11:37 AM
    I've had my Bold 9900 for a few days, and I really love it compared to the Android phone I was running previous (Xperia Arc). Don't get me wrong, I liked the Arc, but since I got a PlayBook I've wanted to get a BB to make full use out of it.

Some notable differences I've found since getting the Bold compared to my old phone:

Battery lasts longer - I usually charge my Bold every day before going to bed, but I could easily make it from when I take it off the charger at 0620 to about halfway through the following workday before having to charge it again - I just don't like letting my battery go down all the way every time before charging it. My Arc would often be down to about 15% by the end of the day for me, so this is a highly enjoyable improvement for me.

The keyboard - I learned since November that I absolutely SUCK with a touchscreen keyboard, even with apps to help me be better. Having the physical keyboard has improved my texting speed and accuracy.

The screen - I understand the desire to have bigger screens on phones, but really, I like the simplicity of the Bold screen. It's a quaint size that brings really crisp images for its ratio of screen size : resoution. I find the images to be just as crisp as my Arc's were. The touchscreen is very responsive as well - much more so than that of the Arc, which is saying a lot considering the Arc was designed to be an exclusively touchscreen phone.

The OS - very snappy, especially compared to older Blackberries I have used. The processor might not be the fastest on the market in terms of speed, but let's be honest. The BB OS is not exactly a resource intensive one, so to try and compare the 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor to the 1.5GHz processors in other smartphones is like comparing apples to a dumptruck. This OS reacts very quickly to everything that I have thrown at it in the last few days with no delays, lags or freezes. That's more than could be said about my Arc, which, although it was running a 1GHz processor, froze up so often that I wanted to throw it against a wall a lot of the time. The amount of times I had to force close Sony Ericsson Home or the Facebook app was ridiculous. This is a much better and smoother OS than what Android has to offer at this point, IMO.

To those who said that there are no banking apps, I can't speak to other banks, but I just downloaded the RBC mobile app (pretty much the same as the one I had for the Arc) and it works wonderfully.

Some of the cons mentioned earlier either aren't a big deal to me (like the autofocus, since I use a proper camera most of the time - don't really like taking pictures with my phone) or are actually a benefit to me (the battery - it's better than my old phone, even if it's still not great. Everything is relative I suppose).

The only cons I have thus far are:

1. Lack of customization on the home screen. Not that it's non-existent, but that it's not quite as open as on Android. I could do whatever I wanted with the five home screens that I had available to me on the Arc. Here I feel limited in a creative sense.

2. The battery cover - this was a pro for a lot of people, and it's something I am on the fence about. I find it's a bit too secure for my liking. I had to remove the cover to get the IMEI number for Rogers when I picked this phone up so that I could get BBM and such on it, and it was on there so tight that I literally had to get a flathead screwdriver to get it off. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it's on there securely and my battery won't fall out mid-call, but it's a bit tighter than I would like it to be.

Overall, I love the phone - much moreso than the Arc. It's a solid piece of kit. I use the Otterbox Commuter with it, and between the solid build and the modest protection on the outer shell (while still remaining really stylish) I feel even better about it. I hope you all are enjoying yours as well!

JB
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-06-12 12:27 PM
    What features are missing from the BB dropbox app?
    The last time I checked, you couldn't upload with the app; only download. And you couldn't delete DropBox files. I haven't used it in a while, so some of these things may have been fixed.

I've been using FileScout's DropBox plug-in, since the main things I want to do with DropBox from my BB are uploading and downloading, and FileScout handles both very well, in addition to being a generally useful file management program.

Moving to other points in the OP...

I'm fairly obsessive about battery life; it's a high priority for me, and was almost a dealbreaker when I first got the 9900. I now find that I easily get 16 or so hours, with juice to spare, and that's all I ask. I don't want to have to charge the phone before I put it away for the night. But I absolutely would like to be able to have the battery life I had on my 9780, where I didn't even have to pay much attention to the battery. And I know that some people, for whatever reasons, aren't getting even a full day on their 9900s.

The camera is fine with me. I don't do a lot of close-up stuff.

The apps are okay, although this is an area where we don't always know what we want until we see what others have. As it happens, my bank does have a BB app, and it works well. And luckily, the 9700 Kindle app works, or I'd be long gone. The 9700 Audible app works too, and I use it a lot.

The biggest thing that gives me "platform envy" is the absence of integrated web/cloud service comparable to WP's Office/SkyDrive setup or Google's doc/storage service. I don't know what, if anything along these lines, iOS has, so I can't envy it!

I don't seem to have the problem with the back cover that others are having. The first few times it was a little stiff; now it pops off and back on with a firm snap but no undue struggle.
    estro22 likes this.
    03-06-12 01:25 PM
    Over my career I have used the 7520, 8703e, the 1st generation Pearl 8130, the Storm 2, the Bold 9700 and I just got my 9900 yesterday - I really have to say that I loved the old Pearl probably the most - small form factor, great device!

But I absolutely LOVE my 9900 - it is absolutely the most perfect combination between touchscreen and keyboard. The keyboard is amazing to say the least, I could type for hours on those keys. The slimness is awesome, the weight is substantial, the metal accent makes you feel like you have a quality piece of hardware.

To have the option of using the touch-pad, screen and keyboard gives you so many navigation choices, it is so intuitive (especially coming from a Storm 2) to use the combination of touch and keyboard to navigate.

It is super-quick and smooth, I have H+ coverage with Rogers and pairing this device with my Playbook I have excellent Bridge speeds and the Bridge Remote to boot!

I am a die-hard RIM fan and I am personally trying my best to promote the heck out of the new devices. I will definitely get the BB 10 when it comes out, I can't wait! Just loaded the 7.1 OS from SK today, it is awesome!

Spread the love!
    03-06-12 03:02 PM
    The last time I checked, you couldn't upload with the app; only download. And you couldn't delete DropBox files. I haven't used it in a while, so some of these things may have been fixed.

I've been using FileScout's DropBox plug-in, since the main things I want to do with DropBox from my BB are uploading and downloading, and FileScout handles both very well, in addition to being a generally useful file management program.

This is the feature I looked for, I'll try this app.
    Thanks!

03-06-12 03:46 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD