I'd been torn between upgrading my 9800 to a 9900 now or waiting for BB10 devices, but I took the plunge last Friday; now that I've had a weekend to get acquainted, I've developed these impressions:
    1. It's a lovely piece of industrial design; in its way as good as anything Apple produces. I'd handled static models in the store and was completely unprepared for how truly nice this thing is. It feels very much like the kind of high-quality piece it purports to be. I'm looking at it right now as it charges, with the analog clock face up, and I can't help but love the overall design language; current and new with just a hint of retro formality.
    2. Performance is gratifyingly zippy. I'm impressed how responsive this thing is.
    3. The keyboard ROCKS. I know the keyboard has its fans, and I've had a Curve for work so I thought I had some sense of why. I didn't like the slider keyboard on my 9800, and almost never used it; the keys felt great but they were too small to be truly useful for me. The 9900 kb is phenomenal, though. Easy to use with my right hand, amazingly speedy with both hands.
    4. The 9800 was a good multimedia device, but the 9900 is brilliant. If the screen is smallish, the resolution is fantastic and video is very viewable. I've spent a huge chunk of my weekend streaming music through both BBM Music and Slacker, and was very pleased with the performance of both.
    5. As boring as the kb form-factor may look, it has some distinct advantages. It's wide enough to allow for a great screen, and there's no need to shift between portrait and landscape. You can do literally EVERYTHING one-handed if you have to, from text entry to picture-taking. I'm finding I really like not having to turn my phone sideways and hold it with both hands to accomplish some tasks.

I've found 2 cons so far: lack of auto-focus and underwhelming battery life. Neither of which are dealbreakers for me.

This is my third personal BlackBerry handheld, after a Storm and the Gen 1 Torch, and I finally feel like I "get" what Blackberry is supposed to be. What pushed me over the edge to get this one instead of waiting on BB10 was the realization that this really represents the pinnacle of the "traditional" BB platform, and that none of us outside RIM is really clear on what the new platform is going to be in terms of usability and app variety.

Not sure if this is the same device President Obama uses, but it's kind of nice to think I might have this in common with him
    Krack-Berri likes this.
    03-04-12 11:56 PM
    Yup it is a great device.

I get around the autofocus with small lettering by changing the camera type to txt and holding it farther away and zooming. That makes it a little more understandable.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-05-12 12:03 AM
    Yup it is a great device.

I get around the autofocus with small lettering by changing the camera type to txt and holding it farther away and zooming. That makes it a little more understandable.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind!
    03-05-12 12:22 AM
    This is my first BB (had the iPhone 4) and I'm totally in love with it as well, one of the best communication devices out there...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-05-12 05:27 AM
    This is the BB that made me fall in love with RIM all over again.
    03-05-12 05:35 AM
    The battery life comment concerns me. I don't want another device that can't last at least 12 hours.
    03-05-12 05:44 AM
    The battery life comment concerns me. I don't want another device that can't last at least 12 hours.
    33 hours and not even in red yet.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-05-12 05:49 AM
    I find the battery life adequate or good.

Chrisy likes this.
    03-05-12 05:58 AM
    Since I have a Skyrocket as my second device which has to be tethered to a power source almost constantly, I've gotten used to plugging the 9930 in when the Skyrocket's battery is full. So the Skyrocket has turned me into one of those people always scanning a room for a power source.
    For the 9930, I bought a spare battery, as I always do for all my devices since the days of the 8310. And since I also bought a 9860 I've currently got two spares in my purse. So battery is absolutely not a problem.
    My phone usage is a bit extreme since the summer. I'm on BBM all freakin' day. It would be an interesting experiment to stay off the charger.
    03-05-12 06:29 AM
    The new Bold is a solid device and the best RIM has so far. People keep comparing it to a Android or Apple device and that's impossible because Blackberry is in a class of it own. If you want something for business then Blackberry is the way to go!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-05-12 06:34 AM
    The new Bold is a solid device and the best RIM has so far. People keep comparing it to a Android or Apple device and that's impossible because Blackberry is in a class of it own. If you want something for business then Blackberry is the way to go!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    If you want something for business its the way to go but also if you want a phone that will keep you in touch with everyone and everything its the phone to get.
    03-05-12 08:44 AM
    I'd been torn between upgrading my 9800 to a 9900 now or waiting for BB10 devices, but I took the plunge last Friday; now that I've had a weekend to get acquainted, I've developed these impressions:
    1. It's a lovely piece of industrial design; in its way as good as anything Apple produces. I'd handled static models in the store and was completely unprepared for how truly nice this thing is. It feels very much like the kind of high-quality piece it purports to be. I'm looking at it right now as it charges, with the analog clock face up, and I can't help but love the overall design language; current and new with just a hint of retro formality.
    2. Performance is gratifyingly zippy. I'm impressed how responsive this thing is.
    3. The keyboard ROCKS. I know the keyboard has its fans, and I've had a Curve for work so I thought I had some sense of why. I didn't like the slider keyboard on my 9800, and almost never used it; the keys felt great but they were too small to be truly useful for me. The 9900 kb is phenomenal, though. Easy to use with my right hand, amazingly speedy with both hands.
    4. The 9800 was a good multimedia device, but the 9900 is brilliant. If the screen is smallish, the resolution is fantastic and video is very viewable. I've spent a huge chunk of my weekend streaming music through both BBM Music and Slacker, and was very pleased with the performance of both.
    5. As boring as the kb form-factor may look, it has some distinct advantages. It's wide enough to allow for a great screen, and there's no need to shift between portrait and landscape. You can do literally EVERYTHING one-handed if you have to, from text entry to picture-taking. I'm finding I really like not having to turn my phone sideways and hold it with both hands to accomplish some tasks.

I've found 2 cons so far: lack of auto-focus and underwhelming battery life. Neither of which are dealbreakers for me.

This is my third personal BlackBerry handheld, after a Storm and the Gen 1 Torch, and I finally feel like I "get" what Blackberry is supposed to be. What pushed me over the edge to get this one instead of waiting on BB10 was the realization that this really represents the pinnacle of the "traditional" BB platform, and that none of us outside RIM is really clear on what the new platform is going to be in terms of usability and app variety.

Not sure if this is the same device President Obama uses, but it's kind of nice to think I might have this in common with him

That's a brilliant account and I'm in total agreement with your observations.

Several months ago, a fellow senior CB member, having Bold 9780, 9900 & 9790 pointed it out that after RIM launched the Bold 9000, the next all-out efforts from RIM was towards the 9900. I have to agree to this.

The negatives of 9900 can be handled with some care. For starters, if one's a heavy user, he/she must get hold of a 2nd J-M1 battery (Original) along with a desktop charger available for it. This will always allow one to slip-in the backup battery (as & when required).

I'm planning to get one of these (but looking at the ebay, there seems to be after-market Chinese varieties - hence I need to do more research into this).

This is what I need :

Last edited by audio_engr; 03-05-12 at 09:22 AM.
    03-05-12 09:00 AM
    I managed to get a second battery from amazon quite cheaply
    03-05-12 09:08 AM
    Great first impression review! The hardware of this device truly is amazing. And performance is definitely leaps and bounds above any BB I've had before this generation.

I also have been able to get around the auto-focus problem by messing with the 'modes' and using the zoom feature. I can take legible pictures of text no problem.

Battery life hasn't been great for me either, but it's nothing huge. I honestly have NO idea how people can go 33 hours+ with battery not in red... I've had a Storm1, Storm2, Bold 9650 and now the Bold 9930, and the best battery life I had was with my 9650, and I got a day (12-14 hours) TOPS. Maybe it is because of all the cr*p I have on my device (I do have a bunch of apps installed, but NOT running, and themes). But I usually get around 8 hours or so. So I try to charge the device and keep it above yellow at all times.
    03-05-12 09:12 AM
    Great first impression review! The hardware of this device truly is amazing. And performance is definitely leaps and bounds above any BB I've had before this generation.

I also have been able to get around the auto-focus problem by messing with the 'modes' and using the zoom feature. I can take legible pictures of text no problem.

Battery life hasn't been great for me either, but it's nothing huge. I honestly have NO idea how people can go 33 hours+ with battery not in red... I've had a Storm1, Storm2, Bold 9650 and now the Bold 9930, and the best battery life I had was with my 9650, and I got a day (12-14 hours) TOPS. Maybe it is because of all the cr*p I have on my device (I do have a bunch of apps installed, but NOT running, and themes). But I usually get around 8 hours or so. So I try to charge the device and keep it above yellow at all times.
    Signal quality has a lot to do with it, I got 33+ hours when I mostly stayed in good signal area without traveling too much and with wifi on, connected.

Also don't forget the 9900 is HSPA+ capable and that's bound to use more power when available. It also means it now has to change between more networks, 2G,3G and HSPA+ are always active(to be able to hand over a call from on to the other when running out of one's coverage.
    03-05-12 09:26 AM
    The 9930 is still CDMA though, like the 9650.
    Honestly, it's probably because of all the apps and such I have loaded. Locking apps, themes, fancy widgets for today screen, etc.

I'm not really worried about it though. And I'm usually with pretty good 3G signal
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-05-12 09:36 AM
    I used to have the Bold 9700 and that is the best battery life I've ever gotten out of a bb without having to switch to 2G. Changed to a 9800 and battery life decreases but it's the 9900 with the worst battery life. I have to bring the usb cable to work and switch it to 2G to get the most juice out of it.
    I finally gave in today and got the extra battery with charger.
    Now I feel empowered to take on the world lol

That said, the 9900 is the best bb ever (until BB10 blow our socks off)
    03-05-12 10:38 AM
    Signal quality has a lot to do with it, I got 33+ hours when I mostly stayed in good signal area without traveling too much and with wifi on, connected.

Also don't forget the 9900 is HSPA+ capable and that's bound to use more power when available. It also means it now has to change between more networks, 2G,3G and HSPA+ are always active(to be able to hand over a call from on to the other when running out of one's coverage.
    Thanks for those insights. I'm finding it don't MIND the battery life, just that my 9800 seemed to be better.

I generally keep multiple chargers around, including at my desk at work. I do like that little portable spare batt/charger combo and I'll likely buy that.

And I'm so thoroughly blown away with the rest of the phone that this is really not a massive problem.
    03-05-12 12:21 PM
    When I had my 9900 it lasted easily 12 hrs. 16hrs was about average for my daily use.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-05-12 01:06 PM
    I share the same great impressions as the OP, except the battery is wonderful. I'm now a medium to heavy user, I accept the camera for what it offers and what it is, as I do have three fixed focus digital cameras that work so great! So that is no dealbreaker either. The keyboard is wonderful, the smoothness, the speediness. I love it!
    03-05-12 02:50 PM
    This is my first BB (had the iPhone 4) and I'm totally in love with it as well, one of the best communication devices out there...

How do you find the lack of apps and limited support for BlackBerry by banks, work, school, etc, etc?
    03-05-12 03:19 PM
    OP, everyone can claim they get 12 hours, 16 hours, or whatever they want to say. No one will use their device as you do and as such you shouldn't expect to get the same battery life as what others claim. Maybe you'll get worse, maybe you'll get better but it's all going to boil down to what apps you use, settings you have, and what you're doing with the device.
    03-05-12 03:27 PM
    How do you find the lack of apps and limited support for BlackBerry by banks, work, school, etc, etc?
    Some don't care, if they're used to using the web interface (like I am), then it'll be fine.
    03-05-12 03:28 PM
    HSDPA+ isnt a seperate network to 3G, its just an add on�.

So handsets just have to switch between 2G and 3G.

Some countries are calling HSDPA+ 4g�. when it isnt, its 3g based.

Steve
    03-05-12 03:40 PM
    HSDPA+ isnt a seperate network to 3G, its just an add on�.

So handsets just have to switch between 2G and 3G.

Some countries are calling HSDPA+ 4g�. when it isnt, its 3g based.

Steve
    Yes but they all coexist, there's a 2G, 3G and hspa+ signals around me right now, my old 9700 could only access the first two, my 9900 can access all, and when hspa+ runs out of coverage it has to switch to 3G or 2G. It's the same technology but they're all separate, at least that's how I understand it.
    03-05-12 04:36 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD