It's been a LONG time since I've had a new phone, and I'm just starting to transition to the 9900.

Are there some things that should initially be done that are a no brainer?

For example, I'm thinking I should check for software updates first. I just learned about Blackberry Protect...though that seems a bit big-brothery to me?

Anyway, before I start customizing the phone, anything I should do?
    12-02-11 03:32 PM
    Download "Advanced Calls and LED Control" if you want to control LED colors and which apps trigger the colors.

Download FancyTran if you need easy translating from the menu.

Download Pandora if you need music.

Download GoogleTalk/AIM.

Download FB and Twitter.

Pretty much it for me.
    12-02-11 03:36 PM
    It's been a LONG time since I've had a new phone, and I'm just starting to transition to the 9900.

Are there some things that should initially be done that are a no brainer?

For example, I'm thinking I should check for software updates first. I just learned about Blackberry Protect...though that seems a bit big-brothery to me?

Anyway, before I start customizing the phone, anything I should do?
    I've read on theses boards that since its new its best to update the OS now so it would be a fresh update.

I would also install and use Blackberry protect because at least u can find your phone if its ever stolen and create daily (weekly or monthly) backups of your data without worrying about it.

Also, make sure you take advantage of some of the Premium apps Blackberry is offering. They expire Dec 30th.

I've downloaded Shazam, Nobex Radio, and Photo Editor Ultimate

Enjoy!
    12-02-11 04:54 PM
    ^^^^So true!! Get one!
    12-02-11 07:27 PM
    Ouch... two dents??? So sad!

I use the holster bet clip from VZW and I have an Otterbox defender. But the newer Otterboxes are horrible. You can feel how cheap they are now. They use to be pretty solid back when I had one for my 8330 and 8530.
    12-02-11 07:53 PM
    Gmail Sync:
    Setup > Email Accounts > your Gmail account > edit > Synchronization Options

Setup your Gmail to sync with your Calender & Contacts. This way you can restore them anytime you upgrade your OS or loose your info. DO NOT INSTALL GOOGLE SYNC, this is handled through your BlackBerry OS.

BlackBerry Protect:
    Make sure you set up BlackBerry Protect with all options ON and all types of info to be backed up. Make sure to set BlackBerry Protect to BACKUP everyday. The backups are progressive and use very little data. Go to the BlackBerry Protect website on your computer and take a look at everything it can do. You will like what you find.

AppWorld:
    AppWorld can install, uninstall, and re-install apps on your phone or directly through your computer using a USB cable. USB is nice if your data connection is flaky or you need to reinstall a pile of apps after a fresh OS install.

Update Your OS:
    There are two Operating Systems available for your phone just now, .540 and 7.1. Anything prior to .540 is sure to be full of bugs. 7.1 adds some features .540 doesn't have, like a wireless hotspot.

iSkin has a case called "vibes" for your phone. Super nice, keeps your camera and flash clean, lightweight, raised up a tad around the screen but not beside the keys. Comes with a real nice screen protector and a rag to wipe the spooge off your screen. Protects like a Commuter but light and less bulky like a BlackBerry skin.

The included charger sucks and you will hate your battery life. Go to Google/Amazon and find yourself a Nokia AC-6U Charger. It charges slower but your battery life will triple bare minimum. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS ADVICE.

BlackBerry Travel Rocks if you jet around
    BlackBerry Password Keeper is a must
    BlackBerry Traffic is neat
    Google Maps All that and a bag of chips
    BlackBerry Memopad a must have
    Opera Mini is pretty cool
    Pandora is a must have, Slacker blows
    Poynt is a must have
    Social Feeds for your FB, Twit, & Youtube
    Photo Editor Ultimate a gift from BB

I will add to the list if I think of something. Enjoy the new phone.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 12-02-11 at 08:29 PM.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    12-02-11 07:58 PM
    Got OB Commuter and Seidio Active holster. Download BeBuzz and BerryWeather. Updating stock AT&T with recently released patch but reluctant to update with unofficial OS. Turn off when charging overnight using the OEM charger that came with the 9900 and not the PB rapid charger.
    12-02-11 08:02 PM
    If you don't already, make sure you take advantage of the desktop manager. I do a daily backup thru the DM. This will help so much if you have OS issues and need to wipe your device.
    12-02-11 08:05 PM
    Other than the case the only thing I would do is learn and discover what is inside your new Bold first. Take your time and get used to the terrain. Then enjoy! Congrats!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-11 10:42 PM
    This is all great advice, thank you!

Yes, times have changes - look forward to getting the Bold all set up this weekend - very excited!

I read about the slow charge issue, the car charger they gave me is 550mA, so have been using that plugged into an adapter in the house until I can get a regular plug in one.

Forgot about the free apps, better get on that! Haven't been able to decide on a case - I always used the pocket or a holster. Will have fun doing some shopping
    12-03-11 02:46 AM
    Okay, got the 9900 fired up, email accounts are set up and working, in the process of updating the App World and the applications.

Silly question - I can find the place to do an OTA update of the OS? Help a sister out...feel silly I can't find it!
    12-03-11 08:24 PM
    Options--> Device--> scroll down to software updates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HershL likes this.
    12-03-11 08:41 PM
    Super, shipped with 7.0.0 Bundle 1950, and it says up to date. I'll stick with that. Still updating applications through App World.
    12-03-11 08:47 PM
    The included holster is okay. I recommend the OEM hardshell case or pocket leather pouch
    12-03-11 09:13 PM
    Go into Camera>Options and turn on Image Stabilization. Also, set it to store images on the SD Card.
    12-04-11 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD