Hello all. My new 9900 is coming today and I have some questions. First is I have never had anything other then devices in the Curve line. Items like contacts, emails etc should be easily transferable between models?

I have read a few things where there is conflicting info. One school of thought is to load the device with leaked 7.1 first before doing a device switch on DM. Another says to put 7.1 on, then restore only contacts and emails from protect, and re-download apps. Third school of thought says to only do DM switch, then install 7.1. Then there is the worry someone had about 7.1/wifi not working on TMO. I have always thought of myself as BB proficient, but I must admit that I am confused on how to proceed.

Also, I dont have many apps on my Curve: Vlingo, BEWeather, Shazam, Evernote, Ubersocial, Bridge. Will these all work on 7.0/7.1?

Thanks for hopefully clearing some of this up for me.
    01-16-12 09:45 AM
    i would do a device switch wizard without apps and then install the os7.0 ones
    from there update to 7.1
    01-16-12 11:11 AM
    I only transferred my bbm contacts, phone contacts and thats it! Super experience never had an issue. I manually installed everything else.
    01-16-12 11:29 AM
    I moved from a curve 8900 to the bold 9900. I tried the DM switch and every time something got screwed. I ended up installing a fresh 7.0 (from loader, not DM) and then doing a restore from a backup where I only chose my contacts, messages and bbm to be restored. After that I downloaded all my apps again and it's been working like a charm ever since.
    I would definitely do that and then update to 7.1 if available from your carrier or if you want to use a leaked one.
    Good luck!!
    01-16-12 01:07 PM
    1. Back up your current device

2. Update OS on your 9900 to which ever pleases you. Don't use OTA. I have seen these updates taking 3-4+ hours. DM or app loader should take you no more than 30 minutes.

3. Device switch wizard, only data, no apps. Or just restore from step 1.

4. Install apps one by one.

The only apps you have that I cannot confirm if they work on 7.0 are: Evernote and Ubersocial. I have never used these. As far as 7.1 for you... read through the threads. I love 7.1 on my 9930, but look to see what others have posted about 7.1 for the 9900.

I also don't have a Playbook, but I haven't seen any threads about the bridge not working.
    Last edited by dustanh; 01-16-12 at 01:42 PM.
    01-16-12 01:35 PM
    Repeating this which has been mentioned above already, but for emphasis:

Do not use the switch device wizard.

Start the OS 7 device fresh out of the box and log into BlackBerry ID and complete the setup.

Then restore your data. Do not do a full restore. Restoring from Protect would be good. Or else selective restore from a backup on a computer.

Then download your apps and configure personalization stuff.
    Last edited by aiharkness; 01-16-12 at 02:55 PM.
    01-16-12 01:52 PM
    @aiharkness,

So hold of on installing 7.1 until after what you stated above?

As a fellow TMO'er, what are you running and does it work fine?
    01-16-12 02:24 PM
    I don't have an opinion on your questions about upgrading to 7.1. The point I wanted to emphasize is do not use the switch device wizard. I can say from experience this is a bad idea with OS 7.

I'm still using the 7.0 that came with the device. I usually wait for the T-Mobile release. The only thing I want is the wifi calling, but it isn't urgent.
    01-16-12 02:30 PM
    i got receive my 9900 today and i did was aliharkness said in one of my thread, and i backup up my 9700 FULL and then do power on my 9900 and do the startup and then did a restore and then i just spent alot of time on redownloading my apps which i have a bunch and about the leak for the 7.1 i might do it at a later time, my 9900 came with 7.0...260 and its mexico 4

edit: its a AMAZING!!! phone!!!

the odd think i found for my 9900 is that, when i get a message the sound is weird, it isn't smooth like my 9700.
    01-16-12 02:51 PM
    From my torch I transfered all my data using desktop manager and restoring it onto the bold.. But then some apps don't get downloaded onto the bold because its not avaliable for this device
    01-16-12 02:54 PM
    From my torch I transfered all my data using desktop manager and restoring it onto the bold.. But then some apps don't get downloaded onto the bold because its not avaliable for this device
    That is going to happen with a new OS. I think now there is one app I used before that still is not available for OS 7. When I first got the 9900 there were three or four. Your mileage may vary.
    RWWackostu likes this.
    01-16-12 03:01 PM
    I just wanted to mention one point here - backup your apps!!! Some of them show up as not being available for OS 7 even though they will work...this way you will be able to load them individually with BBSAK if you can't find them through appworld. I wish someone had pointed that out when I was moving to the 9930. For instance, you will lose weatherbug if you use that....and the 9700 version works just fine but you will be hard pressed to find that anywhere.

GL.
    01-16-12 03:43 PM
    Repeating this which has been mentioned above already, but for emphasis:

Do not use the switch device wizard.

Start the OS 7 device fresh out of the box and log into BlackBerry ID and complete the setup.

Then restore your data. Do not do a full restore. Restoring from Protect would be good. Or else selective restore from a backup on a computer.

Then download your apps and configure personalization stuff.
    This worked like a charm. No issues at all. Thanks again!
    01-17-12 04:08 PM
    Excellent! Isn't the 9900 wonderful?
    01-17-12 04:43 PM
    Good deal! Congrats!
    01-17-12 05:49 PM
    Excellent! Isn't the 9900 wonderful?
    It is, but I am scared to charge it overnight........
    01-17-12 09:43 PM
    It is, but I am scared to charge it overnight........
    I have had mine since the day they went on sale. I charge mine all night while sleeping, every night, usually on a cradle, but I use a wall charger when I'm traveling. I usually top off during the day, but not always. For what it's worth, I'm running the 7.0 that came installed.

From all I can tell, if your device is going brick, it's going to brick no matter what you do. And even if that isn't true, it is still better for you to use the device the way you need to use it. You can't be inconvenienced because of a flaw and mess up your routine to keep your BlackBerry from kicking the bucket on you.

Do what you need to do and let the BlackBerry live or die. If it dies, get a warranty replacement.
    01-18-12 06:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD