Was on top of my ladder sealing my windows , when I rec'd a call on my Bold.

After taking the call , I noticed I had smudged some of the stuff on my trackpad.

I quickly wiped it off as best I could. Then discovered it was not functioning.( the trackpad )

Is it possible the chemicals in the product somehow disabled it ?
    Nick Spagnolo likes this.
    08-09-14 11:52 AM
    Could be that some got stuck in between the grooves.
    08-09-14 12:03 PM
    It could be pushed to select.

But can't be used to scroll , position cursor , highlight text ... Etc.
    08-09-14 12:32 PM
    Try a teeny bit of rubbing alcohol on a q tip while depressing the trackpad.

Or...As I understand the keyboard is not difficult to remove, then you could work it under the trackpad?
    08-10-14 06:41 PM
    If you are mechanical inclined I have a track pad if you want it

Posted via CB10
    08-10-14 06:56 PM
    It seems to be quite clean now yet still not functioning.

Maybe it's just coincidence and it failed. The keyboard is also a little worn out. ( have been using it a year this spring )

Anyway , ordered keyboard / trackpad from eBay. Will not attempt anything before I receive.
    08-10-14 06:57 PM
    If you are mechanical inclined I have a track pad if you want it

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your offer !

If I have any trouble from the one ordered I'll give you a shout.
    08-10-14 07:01 PM
    I bet there's some residue left on it. Worst case......you have a good excuse to get a new phone.

BB Proud
    08-10-14 07:11 PM
    I bet there's some residue left on it. Worst case......you have a good excuse to get a new phone.

BB Proud
    Well , I got a Z10 in June...

I really don't want to retire my faithful Bold.

However , the Passport sure looks good !
    08-10-14 07:17 PM
    Anytime

Posted via CB10
    08-11-14 10:37 AM
    Just replace the keyboard. Amazon or Ebay. Watch the You Tube video. You will need that tool on the video.
    08-19-14 06:43 AM
    Had received the keyboard / trackpad from eBay last week.

Of course , I didn't think of ordering the screw driver needed to remove the 2 screws. ( I have an assortment of types / sizes - except the one I needed ! )

So , after filing down a flat type screwdriver to fit into the screws , was able to remove them.

Took less than 5 minutes to replace.

The phone looks and feels brand new now !

In comparing the trackpads , there is no glossy coating left on the old one. The chemicals in the caulk must have dulled it up - causing it not to sense when it was being touched.

Anyway for $ 12 , problem solved !
    08-19-14 07:25 AM
    Had received the keyboard / trackpad from eBay last week.

Of course , I didn't think of ordering the screw driver needed to remove the 2 screws. ( I have an assortment of types / sizes - except the one I needed ! )

So , after filing down a flat type screwdriver to fit into the screws , was able to remove them.

Took less than 5 minutes to replace.

The phone looks and feels brand new now !

In comparing the trackpads , there is no glossy coating left on the old one. The chemicals in the caulk must have dulled it up - causing it not to sense when it was being touched.

Anyway for $ 12 , problem solved !
    This is what makes the 9900 the best mobile device. Cheap replacement parts and easy to work on. Aren't you impressed with the quality of how it is engineered? I am sorry to say this type of quality and engineering might not come again. Enjoy your phone.

You should return what you received from this forum by passing on your experience to other people not familiar with fixing their problems. One good deed deserves another right? Help the people by posting your information when you can. This is what makes BlackBerry a great phone.

I might not like some of the things that BB does, I assure you the 9900 is the best mobile device and will continue to hold it's weight against today's phones. Don't let anyone convince you the BB10 is better than what you have. Working people use this device for work not playing games.

GL
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-19-14 at 08:21 AM.
    anon5288998 likes this.
    08-19-14 08:11 AM
    This is what makes the 9900 the best mobile device. Cheap replacement parts and easy to work on. Aren't you impressed with the quality of how it is engineered? I am sorry to say this type of quality and engineering might not come again. Enjoy your phone.
    Agreed !

I like BB10 , but can't let go of my Bold !
    08-19-14 08:16 AM
    5 min is pretty good. I usually allow 10 min... unless i set the coffee mug down...

Word of caution, diesel fuel, Kroil, or RidOx will also wreck a trackpad.
    08-20-14 07:42 PM
    5 min is pretty good. I usually allow 10 min... unless i set the coffee mug down...

Word of caution, diesel fuel, Kroil, or RidOx will also wreck a trackpad.
    Thanks for the heads up !

You've experienced problems with those products also ?
    08-20-14 07:55 PM
    Thanks for the heads up !

You've experienced problems with those products also ?
    Yep, powerful "penetrating" fluids seem to soak in and mess with trackpads. No amount of "cleaning" repaired them, in my cases. My best guess would be that the fluids soak in and upset the pad's IR refraction-reflection characteristics. Probably a solvent in the caulk did something similar.

edit: in fairness, in all cases, my thumb was pretty wet. Really shouldn't be soaking my skin with the mentioned products, anyway so...
    08-20-14 08:19 PM
    Yep, powerful "penetrating" fluids seem to soak in and mess with trackpads. No amount of "cleaning" repaired them, in my cases. My best guess would be that the fluids soak in and upset the pad's IR refraction-reflection characteristics. Probably a solvent in the caulk did something similar.

edit: in fairness, in all cases, my thumb was pretty wet. Really shouldn't be soaking my skin with the mentioned products, anyway so...
    Don't think cleaning it with acetone would have helped ?
    08-20-14 09:07 PM
    Don't think cleaning it with acetone would have helped ?
    Hmm, couldn't have hurt. I did try alcohol and then 111. Or whatever 111 substitute is legal these days. Might have been possible but swapping the kb is too easy to warrant much effort on good cleaning.
    08-20-14 11:38 PM
    If we're going on overkill, might have tried ammonia while you were at it lol
    08-21-14 05:13 AM
    I watched the video on replacing it and it looked easy. Q10 is another story.

BB Proud
    08-22-14 07:41 AM
    I watched the video on replacing it and it looked easy. Q10 is another story.

BB Proud
    Yikes !

( I also watched the Q10 video. )

You have to practically dismantle the whole device to get to the keyboard !

Hope the keyboard on your Q10 isn't acting funny ?!
    08-22-14 08:23 AM
    Yikes !

( I also watched the Q10 video. )

You have to practically dismantle the whole device to get to the keyboard !

Hope the keyboard on your Q10 isn't acting funny ?!
    I've got the Z30. One if my staff broke a key on his Q10.

BB Proud
    08-24-14 07:34 AM
    Nice to see you fixed it yourself .

The BlackBerry keyboards sensitivity to solvents is why I ended up with a z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 03:55 PM
    Also have a white Z10.
    wouldn't even think of handling it with hands full of solvents or other nasty chemicals.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9520 using Tapatalk
    08-24-14 04:02 PM
27 12