Hey all!! i havent posted in here in a loooong time..but ive been having an issue and im not too sure what to do anymore.

So here goes:

I have a Bold 9900 that was originally locked to TELUS. I purchased it from someone. Got it unlocked on freethisberry.com (which was instant and awesome). And am now using it with Virgin Mobile. Im new to virgin mobile. but they have a system where u can bring your own phone and STILL get an amazing plan (which is what i did). I verified initially through their website that the phone is compatible on their network and obviously it is because they offer it too.

So now, im having an issue where i have to shut off my antenna and turn it back on every 15minutes so that my bbms come through because they just get stuck. same goes for emails. I called TELUS because the phone is originally from there...and they said the warranty is VOID because i unlocked the device (weird because they offer an unlock service for 50$). I spoke to a VIRGIN rep and HE said they cant even troubleshoot even if it was a network issue because the phone isn't a virgin phone. I called RIM and they said that my warranty voided after the unlock (?!?!?!) and if i wanted any help from them i would have to pay 50$ to purchase a pay-per-incident tech support session. and now i am in a constant loop of this crap.

Please someone tell me what they think or what i can do...who holds my warranty? am i screwed?? any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
    11-10-11 09:45 AM
    According to most around here, unlocking does not void the warranty: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...arranty-64291/

Think the trick is to not even bring it up (they most likely won't ask - but think you'd need someone with a TELUS account to bring it in for you?).

Before you go down that route, have you tried re-loading the OS (or updating to a more recent one)? That might take care of your problem.
    11-10-11 10:11 AM
    yes ive tried reloading the OS....and updating as well....still doesnt help...i think warranty would be the only way out of this thanks for your suggestion..now to try to find someone with a telus accound...ugh..
    11-10-11 10:20 AM
    any other suggestions would be appreciated too !!
    11-10-11 11:46 AM
    The warranty is not voided by unlocking it. However, the warranty applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable. So as soon as you purchased the device, the warranty did not apply to you.

I would try reloading the OS cleanly and not restoring any third party applications and see if you are still having issues.

If it truly is a hardware issue, then you are likely out of luck in terms of warranty.
    11-10-11 04:56 PM
    I hope you fix the issue. The warranty will not get void if you unlock the phone. However, I don't know what SwitchBeach said is true or not. Some products have transferable warranty and some don't. (I brought a HP server from eBay and I got HP warranty registered through HP.ca no problem)

I don't know if RIM allow transferring of warranty. If you do not have the warranty coverage, I would try a phone repair shops in your area. There are people who fix almost anything for a cheaper price than buying a new one.

Just a note... RIM can't say that the warranty is voided when you unlock the phone. That should be illegal because in Canada, companies have no right to stop you form unlocking a phone. I am on Telus Canada and my phone is unlocked. The person who you talked to in RIM must be misinformed.
    11-10-11 05:58 PM
    ... However, I don't know what SwitchBeach said is true or not. Some products have transferable warranty and some don't. ...
    Umm .....

http://www.blackberry.com/legal/warranty/handheld.shtml

... free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user ("YOU") ...

This Limited Warranty is not transferable.
    mssca likes this.
    11-10-11 08:17 PM
    Umm .....

BlackBerry
    Dam it. Stupid RIM! I brought a $4000 HP server for $1200 from someone under their HP 3 year warranty and HP transferred the warranty to me no questions asked. This phone only worth about $600 and only has a one year warranty it should be transferable in my opinion.
    11-10-11 08:46 PM
    damn... i have to get this sorted asap....maybe ill just ask someone with a telus account to bring it in...ugh..
    11-11-11 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD