I've done a few searches and most of the threads related to this error is for the other models, and they're old. Not sure if they apply to the new Bold 9930.

Here's my problem. I have 3 different microSD cards, 2gb (probably class 4), 8gb (class 4) and my new 16GB (class 10). I just popped in my 16gb card and it says "media card cannot be accessed due to fatal errors". I can't format or repair it either. Same goes with my other 8gb card.

I have no issues using these cards in my old Android phone, or in my computer. If I cannot use an external media card, I'll return the phone and go back to Android. 8GB is not going to cut it for me.

How can I make the phone read my microSD without having to jump through hoops like a computer programmer?

I'm frustrated.
    05-09-12 05:27 PM
    ... and I've tried the battery pull, kept on trying to reformat/repair the card in Options, Devices. Nothing has worked so far.
    05-09-12 05:30 PM
    Hey there jly
    a class 10 sdc it will not be compatible with your bb device. it has to be 4c or lower.
    try the following few things:
    1.format your sdc(SDCard) trough you pc only. (format NTFS) fat32 is for hdd.

2.try formatting your sdc trough you bb device connected to you pc/mac not trough your phone, when prompted the password enter and then go to my computer and you'll gonna see a new device called H: or G: or something else depend on how many devices are connected to your pc.
    Format just the one you connected to trough your phone.

3. if non of them are working you have to see see if your phone is compatible with your phone.

Right now i have Lexar MicroSD class 4hc. and i had the same problem till i formatted trough pc. bb didnt recognize it at all not even error was poping up.

Hope my quick help would fix you long problem.

Cherrs and good luck!

Sent from my 7.1 BlackBerry® 9810 using new CB App.
    05-09-12 06:05 PM
    I've tried all that even with my 8gb Class 4 card, still wouldn't work. Even my old 2gb card (probably class 2) wouldn't work.
    Yet, all these cards work perfectly fine with my old Android phone and can be recognized properly by my pc.

I don't mean to be a pain in the *, but where did you find info about Class 10 not supported? RIM's documentation?

Also, why NTFS? My understanding is that NTFS is for pc's because they won't be able to read FAT-formatted HD that are of high capacity properly.

It shouldn't be this complicated. I wouldnt be this "frustrated" if the phone was free. But if I had to shell out $100 for it, it better work flawlessly. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 06:41 PM
    If no microSD cards work in your 9900, I would return the device to the carrier for a replacement.
    05-09-12 07:24 PM
    Hey there jly
    a class 10 sdc it will not be compatible with your bb device. it has to be 4c or lower.
    try the following few things:
    1.format your sdc(SDCard) trough you pc only. (format NTFS) fat32 is for hdd.

2.try formatting your sdc trough you bb device connected to you pc/mac not trough your phone, when prompted the password enter and then go to my computer and you'll gonna see a new device called H: or G: or something else depend on how many devices are connected to your pc.
    Format just the one you connected to trough your phone.

3. if non of them are working you have to see see if your phone is compatible with your phone.

Right now i have Lexar MicroSD class 4hc. and i had the same problem till i formatted trough pc. bb didnt recognize it at all not even error was poping up.

Hope my quick help would fix you long problem.

Cherrs and good luck!

Sent from my 7.1 BlackBerry� 9810 using new CB App.
    I'm using a Lexar 32 GB microSD class 10 card with my Bold 9900 without any issues. Do you have an official link from RIM which supports your statement that only class 4 and below microSD cards are supported?
    05-09-12 07:39 PM
    I've tried all that even with my 8gb Class 4 card, still wouldn't work. Even my old 2gb card (probably class 2) wouldn't work.
    Yet, all these cards work perfectly fine with my old Android phone and can be recognized properly by my pc.

I don't mean to be a pain in the *, but where did you find info about Class 10 not supported? RIM's documentation?

Also, why NTFS? My understanding is that NTFS is for pc's because they won't be able to read FAT-formatted HD that are of high capacity properly.

It shouldn't be this complicated. I wouldnt be this "frustrated" if the phone was free. But if I had to shell out $100 for it, it better work flawlessly. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Class 10 works for me. As another poster has pointed out, you may have a defective phone. Your troubleshooting results support this.
    05-09-12 07:44 PM
    Bought a real Sandisk from amazon. It is a 32 gig "optimized for mobile" and works like a charm. It may not be the specs compared to where you got it from. Cheap cards from questionable international vendors are usually a bad choice. I have purchased 3 cards, everyone of them were sold from vendors in the USA and all are Sandisk. Never any issues and all came formatted. FYI. Sorry for your troubles. Worst case try formatting them in the PC and select FAT 32 formatting.
    05-09-12 07:46 PM
    Bought a real Sandisk from amazon. It is a 32 gig "optimized for mobile" and works like a charm. It may not be the specs compared to where you got it from. Cheap cards from questionable international vendors are usually a bad choice. I have purchased 3 cards, everyone of them were sold from vendors in the USA and all are Sandisk. Never any issues and all came formatted. FYI. Sorry for your troubles. Worst case try formatting them in the PC and select FAT 32 formatting.
    It could be a "fake" SD card. I've heard and read things about them.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-09-12 08:16 PM
    The 16GB card was purchased from Amazon, branched "Amazon Basics". So, I doubt that they would ship me a "fake" one. The 8GB card was purchased from Staples, with Sandisk retail packaging.

It sounds like I may have a defective unit. This is my second Bold 9930. I'd have to keep on replacing it as I find more defects. I'm still on my 14-day return policy with Best Buy, and I think once this runs out, I can't return or exchange the phone. If it's a manufacturer defect, then I'd have to ship it out to RIM for replacement and that means down time for me. I cannot be without a phone.

I love the phone, but if I can't add external storage to it, it's useless for me as I need all that extra storage space (at least 10GB for emails, pictures, music, etc..)

I guess I'll try to do some more troubleshooting and if I still can't get it to recognize the card, it's going back to Best Buy.
    05-09-12 08:43 PM
    I just tried to do a "switch device" to back up my data and 3rd party apps and it only backed up my 3rd party apps. And DM says it can't read my media files. Looks like I have a defective unit, again? oh no!!
    05-09-12 08:46 PM
    i am using 16gb class 10
    @.@ it works good....
    05-09-12 09:25 PM
    I didn't think class would be an issue. I'm starting to lose faith in RIM. I'm already on my 2nd NEW Bold and it's still not working like it's supposed to. lol

i am using 16gb class 10
    @.@ it works good....
    05-09-12 09:29 PM
    Okay I did have an issue where my first bold would not read the card when pushed all the way in. When it was pulled back ahout 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch it worked fine. Worth a try!
    05-09-12 09:32 PM
    Tried it on 3 different cards. Still not working. I've spent over 3 hours on it. I give up. I'll ask Best Buy to switch out the phone one more time and test everything while I'm at the store. I'm starting to think RIM doesn't have a QC department.

Okay I did have an issue where my first bold would not read the card when pushed all the way in. When it was pulled back ahout 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch it worked fine. Worth a try!
    05-09-12 09:45 PM
    albee 1's suggestion of pulling the card back a fraction of an inch worked for my Bold 9930. All the problems seem to have gone away after I pulled back the card 1 or 2 mm.

Thanks!
    07-09-12 03:29 PM
    you should format sdc on android first (don't forget to backup all files before), and than set sdc to 9930, n do another format ... finish !
    07-09-12 09:01 PM
    In all likelihood, your slot is either damaged or has something possibly stuck in it. It has happened to phones other than a Bold, and can happen at the worst possible times. Heck, you might even have a bent contact in the slot.

Oh, and a BlackBerry can use up to a 32 GB microSDHC card of any available class. But the device itself will only operate at a Class 2 standard. The faster cards are more useful when loading from a computer.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-10-12 at 12:55 AM.
    fryk likes this.
    07-10-12 12:51 AM
    Mine, a 32gig class 10 disconnected very often (it happens on my previous 9810 and now on my 9900), what I did the other day is I put 2 pieces of transparent tape on top and reinserted since I noticed the card seems to be thinner than my previous ones. Also pushed all the way in and then back a click and still disconnects but less often. I'm inclined to replace it for a class 4 and post the results, they are now cheap anyways.
    Last edited by jhirizarry; 07-15-12 at 09:59 PM.
    07-15-12 09:56 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-error-377926/

Thought I should link that to an old thread, it's in the 9700 section but still, it's relevent. Reloading the os and trying a different memory card will NOT solve the issue, a warranty exchange will.
    07-16-12 07:20 PM
    I finally got a 32gig sandisk class 4 sdcard and now is working very well, with the class 10 sdcard I had to reboot twice for it to be detected, not anymore. Perhaps I can use the class 10 on my next BB10.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    01-26-13 05:35 PM
    I'll have to count myself as another person using a class 10 micro SD card.
    Sandisk, btw. Never had a problem.
    01-27-13 07:13 PM
    I have currently using a micro SD 16gb class 10 with no problems... (i have a 9900)

it's a sandisk
    01-27-13 07:43 PM
    old thread but at least you all know I searched...

I'm trying to work out which 32gb sd card to buy for my 9900. I'm looking at the read and write speeds, and the issue of compatibility. I am particularly concerned as my current Curry's no brand special is appalling slow to load image previews in the gallery app, and I was hoping to try my luck with a faster card. Is a class 10 sandisk card worth the extra money, or is it even worth going for an extremely fast (90mb/s read) samsung card, albeit with slower write speed (20mb/s)? I'd really appreciate the benefit of anyone's experience on this?

thanks in advance.
    03-19-13 06:20 PM
    Adata is a good brand. The 32GB card I got is great. Read/Write class is always measured in megabits, your computer shows the speed in mega/kilobytes. Higher classes are only good for transfering to a computer, your smartphone won't notice it much at all.
    old thread but at least you all know I searched...I'm trying to work out which 32gb sd card to buy for my 9900. I'm looking at the read and write speeds, and the issue of compatibility. I am particularly concerned as my current Curry's no brand special is appalling slow to load image previews in the gallery app, and I was hoping to try my luck with a faster card. Is a class 10 sandisk card worth the extra money, or is it even worth going for an extremely fast (90mb/s read) samsung card, albeit with slower write speed (20mb/s)? I'd really appreciate the benefit of anyone's experience on this?thanks in advance.
    03-19-13 06:43 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD