Have had the Bold 9900 with Bell here in Toronto for a little over a week now. Haven't upgraded the O/S and I'm using Platform 5.0.0.469 and now the near death experience:

This morning I noticed a small red faint coloured circle just left of the new message status indicator light.

I've noticed this light before as always appears when I'm on the phone.

Just to be more specific about the red light, its a outline of a small circle and you can barely see it. It's easier to be seen if you see it in the dark. Anyway's this light was blinking constantly but the phone display was off as I've set the timeout for 1 min. which I found quite strange!!!

The battery when I noticed this red circle was 20% and I observed the light blink away for a good 5 minutes.

I wasn't receiving a call, data or any other type of email/text and found this to be very strange so I did a batter pull and the light was gone.

I'm just concerned that had I not noticed the blinking circle that somehow this would have drained my battery and perhaps even cause me further grief rendering itself "bricked"

Has anyone else noticed this blinking red circle when they are on a call and more so when the phone is idle? What does is the significance of the blinking light?

If you have trouble seeing the light, try making a call and under shade or in a darkened room and you will see the small outline of a blinking red circle I'm referring to.

Thanks to anyone that has feedback on this!
    12-09-11 08:44 AM
    That is the proximity sensor for determining if the screen should be on or off when holding the phone to your ear. Take a deep breath. Nothing to be so alarmed about.
    12-09-11 08:48 AM
    That's the proximity sensor! You know, the sensor that turns the touch screen display off whenever you're on a phone call so you don't accidentally touch something with your cheek and then when you move the phone away from your face it turns the display back on.

Edit: and how in the world was that a near death experience?! Dramatic much
    adelineeleanor likes this.
    12-09-11 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

So it's perfectly normal for the sensor to be blinking after removing the phone from my pocket?

I've never noticed the sensor before unless I were on a phone call.
    12-09-11 09:06 AM
    I notice mine blink every now and then but not often enough to bother me. You could upgrade your OS to .540 if it bothers you too much and see if that helps.
    12-09-11 09:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

So it's perfectly normal for the sensor to be blinking after removing the phone from my pocket?

I've never noticed the sensor before unless I were on a phone call.
    Yes, it is normal and it also blinks when a light source is change, so it is blinking all the time. This is the proximity sensor which not only a core part of the phone, but also third party apps now use it as well.
    12-09-11 09:29 AM

Edit: and how in the world was that a near death experience?! Dramatic much
    This is what reading posts about problems very few people have does to people. Especially when detractors of the device exaggerate big time.
    12-09-11 09:41 AM
    This is what reading posts about problems very few people have does to people. Especially when detractors of the device exaggerate big time.
    Easier there friend, you give me the impression that you're some kind of forum moderator that we should all be aware of. I mean the fact that you took the time to post, with no insightful information here only shows your true self arrogance.

Sorry if I mislead YOU or anyone else here as I only meant to be playful with a little sarcasm which you obviously have never heard of before. All the posts I've read here about people putting their BlackBerry's on pedestals and in display cases shouldn't be taken to heart either.

Just how did you manage get access to this site from China any ways?

Regards
    Last edited by BBLifeSentence; 12-09-11 at 10:14 PM.
    12-09-11 10:12 PM
    Usually my battery life is pretty good; sometimes it isn't. Usually I can make it through a day, but I've noticed that once every couple weeks, it will go from 50% battery down to <10% within the space of 2 hours, when not using it. Every time I've noticed the rapid drain, I've noticed that the little red light was on. The light, when it comes on solid, STAYS on. Even if I do a soft power off (the phone shuts down, but that light stays on solid). When it gets into that mode, the only way to turn it off is to pull the battery, and restart the phone, which gets the battery drain back to normal.

I haven't found any negative effects, though normally the phone would do a soft power off when the battery gets really low; in this case, it drains itself to the point where it does a full power off, and the phone needs to charge for ~15 minutes before it can even attempt to power on.

I don't think that the light _causes_ the battery drain, the light itself shouldn't draw much power at all, but whatever is causing the quick battery drain also seems to cause my red light to come on (and stay on even after the phone is off). Also, the phone gets warm when it's in that mode (which is how I usually know to do a battery pull on it).
    Last edited by zerobelow; 12-10-11 at 01:55 AM.
    12-10-11 01:47 AM
    Easier there friend, you give me the impression that you're some kind of forum moderator that we should all be aware of. I mean the fact that you took the time to post, with no insightful information here only shows your true self arrogance.

Sorry if I mislead YOU or anyone else here as I only meant to be playful with a little sarcasm which you obviously have never heard of before. All the posts I've read here about people putting their BlackBerry's on pedestals and in display cases shouldn't be taken to heart either.

Regards
    Don't mind that guy, he seems to be trolling around in other threads as well.
    12-10-11 02:45 AM

Regards
    China? Why China?
    12-10-11 04:43 AM
    in day light its not noticable just more noticable in lower light conditions and yes its perfectly fine doesnt mean your phone is broken or anything actually most of the phones now have them built in and you can see them in certain lighting conditions.
    12-10-11 07:36 AM
    Is it normal?

Must admit I haven't looked at it whilst on a call, but I've never once seen my proximity sensor blink at any other time... never.
    12-10-11 08:25 AM
    Near death experience, really? #firstworldproblems

Anyway, my proximity sensor doesn't work sometimes. While I'm waiting for the call to connect, I use my hand to cover the sensor, but my screen doesn't go off. This is sooo annoying. Sometimes whilst in a call, my ear would touch the screen and my phone goes to speaker mode.
    Last edited by adelineeleanor; 12-10-11 at 08:50 AM.
    12-10-11 08:48 AM
    While I agree that this is far from "near death"; I will admit my BlackBerrys are on pedestals....but not cases; naked is best. This is a common "bug" with the 99xx devices. It appears to be a software issue (in most cases). A simple battery pull will correct the issue. While the flashing is only a minor annoyance, it does appear if the proximity sensor is flashing while not engaged in a call, the device seems more likely to have an inoperable screen during calls when moved away from the face. Correlation is not causation. Doesn't seem to be too much of a battery drain. As a battery pull is always good for the health of a BlackBerry, if you notice it.....pull the battery. Also of note, since using Kings new 9930 Resurrection Hybrid.....I have had zero instances of this issue.

After all this typing and screen touching, I need to clean and shine my phone...... I love this thing.
    Last edited by tkcdamar; 12-10-11 at 09:52 AM.
    12-10-11 09:47 AM
    how is it that we get this question asked once per day on this forum ><?
    12-10-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD