One big question I have with the new browser on the 9900 involves display of text.

OS 6 Native Browser test "reflow"

We all know that you have the option to "autosize" the text so that it fits the screen. The only problem I have here is that after that occurs, the text is really small in a lot of cases to the point of being unreadable. Resizing the page doesn't work because the text does not reflow with the larger zoomed page (and I'm certainly not going to scroll back and forth to read an article!). Bear in mind, I've tried setting the font options for the browser to larger fonts, but the issue mainly persists.

How does the new OS7 browser stack up in this area? I guess I'm hoping to have the option to reflow text in a manner similar to Opera Mini 6 (almost like a "reading view" of sorts).

I included two screenshots; one with the native OS6 browser and one with Opera Mini 6, both using the same article, to show an example of what I mean.
    Last edited by cellinator; 08-10-11 at 02:38 PM.
    08-10-11 02:34 PM
    I made a topic about this right now too because I'm very interested to hear the response as well. From what I gather so far the pages do not auto resize the text to fit the screen when you pinch zoom. However I'm not 100% certain of it yet.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estion-636882/

P.S. I'm praying the QNX phones will implement the ancient OS5 column view. I dunno why they took it away
    08-10-11 02:48 PM
    I think the removal of column was the result of the Torch Mobile browser becoming the new "native" browser. I think were both thinking (and hoping) for the same thing!
    08-10-11 03:18 PM
    One big question I have with the new browser on the 9900 involves display of text.

OS 6 Native Browser test "reflow"

We all know that you have the option to "autosize" the text so that it fits the screen. The only problem I have here is that after that occurs, the text is really small in a lot of cases to the point of being unreadable. Resizing the page doesn't work because the text does not reflow with the larger zoomed page (and I'm certainly not going to scroll back and forth to read an article!). Bear in mind, I've tried setting the font options for the browser to larger fonts, but the issue mainly persists.

How does the new OS7 browser stack up in this area? I guess I'm hoping to have the option to reflow text in a manner similar to Opera Mini 6 (almost like a "reading view" of sorts).

I included two screenshots; one with the native OS6 browser and one with Opera Mini 6, both using the same article, to show an example of what I mean.
    I can only guess it's because you're running the 9700 and not a touchscreen device, but "reflow" works perfectly fine on that site with a Torch -- either by double-tapping the touchscreen or zooming in by clicking on the magnifying glass with the trackpad.

The attached picture is what I get with that site with the Torch in landscape mode by just double tapping (also revealing that the site itself has an odd dark graphic bar that floats along the left side with the text). I can't imagine it would be suddenly screwed up on OS7.
    08-10-11 03:37 PM
    I am really hoping that we can do column view on the 9900 browser. It makes it so much easier for the people that have been using it for years.
    WrightWords and emory1 like this.
    08-10-11 03:41 PM
    I think the removal of column was the result of the Torch Mobile browser becoming the new "native" browser. I think were both thinking (and hoping) for the same thing!
    Yes we are.. I hope BB comes through with a column view like features atleast it would be so annoying to pinch zoom and out while trying to read an article or browse a forum. For now my trusty Opera browser gets me through the forums on my 9780 although I would of preferred to use the native browswer but it is far too frustrating to use.
    08-10-11 04:26 PM
    I can only guess it's because you're running the 9700 and not a touchscreen device, but "reflow" works perfectly fine on that site with a Torch -- either by double-tapping the touchscreen or zooming in by clicking on the magnifying glass with the trackpad.

The attached picture is what I get with that site with the Torch in landscape mode by just double tapping (also revealing that the site itself has an odd dark graphic bar that floats along the left side with the text). I can't imagine it would be suddenly screwed up on OS7.
    Thanks for the screen. I do have a 9700. However, in my opinion, this shouldn't be an issue. The browser should reflow and resize to the screen, regardless of dimensions, in order to be useful. So, the current functions works for some phones, just not all. This is a weak area of the browser in my opinion and one that needs to be fixed if the browser is going to be useful.
    08-10-11 05:46 PM
    Where can I download Opera Mini for my Bold 9900? I can't find it in the App World.
    08-23-11 12:45 PM
    I find it incredible that this browser has been released seemingly without anyone testing it for usability, ie reading text on a page conveniently. There are lots of situations where horizontal scrolling is necessary to read an article with a decent text size and I just can't believe they thought this was acceptable through the design and testing phase. When I had a Torch I longed for the old OS5 browser because as crap as it was in many ways, at least it allowed me to read my favorite text based sites in column view. I don't really need the "full" browsing experience on my phone, all I need is to read the information and see the pictures. Column view was perfect for this and removing it was just one example of many of why RIM just doesn't get it.

Also, why did they remove the keyboard shortcut to reload a page with javascript? This was so useful for those of us who like to keep js off by default to speed page load times, yet who need js occasionally. But for seemingly no reason, they removed it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 12:54 PM
    I wanted to delete the native browser (good luck) and make opera mini my default and after I realized I cannot uninstall the native browser.... Is there a way to make Opera mini my default browser? I think it blows that I can't just click a link and get opera to open it instead of the native one.... Anyone?
    09-09-11 09:12 PM
    u cant delete the native browser....its part of OS. you need it to download apps/etc. so its a keeper
    09-09-11 09:19 PM
    u cant delete the native browser....its part of OS. you need it to download apps/etc. so its a keeper
    Yeah that's sort of what I was saying but the question is more CAN you set opera mini as the default browser for links and such.... I doubt you can but it would be nice.
    09-09-11 09:23 PM
    Where can I download Opera Mini for my Bold 9900? I can't find it in the App World.
    m.opera.com
    mssca likes this.
    09-09-11 11:49 PM
    The browser on OS7 is still having problems with tiny text and arbitrary limits on zooming. No difference than the OS6 version in that regard. In a way it's worse because of the higher resolution.
    09-09-11 11:54 PM
    Reading this really makes me think twice about getting the 9900.

09-11-11 06:53 AM
    Just give opera mini a try and you'll like it.
    09-11-11 11:57 AM
    Does nobody know that if you double tap the text it will zoom and resize the page to that text?

There is no issue with the 9900 browser. If you have an issue, its a user issue, not a device issue.

09-11-11 12:06 PM
    I wanted to delete the native browser (good luck) and make opera mini my default and after I realized I cannot uninstall the native browser.... Is there a way to make Opera mini my default browser? I think it blows that I can't just click a link and get opera to open it instead of the native one.... Anyone?
    If you go to the link and press and hold the trackpad down a little longer, there is a pop up window that will give you the option of opening the link in OM or the native browser.

09-11-11 12:34 PM
    Does nobody know that if you double tap the text it will zoom and resize the page to that text?

There is no issue with the 9900 browser. If you have an issue, its a user issue, not a device issue.

I know and have used the double tap. It does not render a resized page that can be read as easily as the column view of the 9700; this site is a good example. With the default font set to 12 I find it easy to read. On the 9900 no matter how large I set the default font, even after a double tap the type is too small (for my old eyes, in any case) unless I enlarge it such that it has to be moved to read the whole line. Am I missing something or is this not the same problem that arose with OS6.
    09-12-11 06:20 PM
    m.opera.com
    09-12-11 06:36 PM
    I still find myself using Opera Mini 6.1 over the OS7 browser. Opera always takes the page and produces readable content in a consistent large font. Mostly. The native browser is pretty good -- but slower.
    09-12-11 06:40 PM
    I think something is wrong with my phone and Opera Mini 6.1. I downloaded it from m.opera.com and my phone was detected. However, once I start the app come of the icons are distorted; the "accuweather, facebook" etc.. are all green and distorted. Also, I cannot move the track pad over the bottom menu to hit back, forward or the "O" for menu.

Is this happening to everyone?

My Blackboard website is horrible with the native browser. Could not even download the class syllabus.
    09-13-11 01:41 AM
    it's not happening to me. Opera Mini works great. maybe deletea nd redownload?
    09-13-11 10:10 AM
    it's not happening to me. Opera Mini works great. maybe deletea nd redownload?
    Yea I have been deleting and installing for the past days. Does your cursor allow you to select icons from the lower menu bar?

09-13-11 12:46 PM
    Anyway to disable Internet Explorer without deleting it ?
    09-21-11 08:11 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD