Like the title says, my trackpad has a mind of its own. More than half the times I scroll downwards it scrolls to the left a short while on its own. This is getting very irritating. I'm not sure if its a software or hardware problem. I saw the other thread where the guy complains that his scrolling in his browser is all wonky.

Not sure what to do as this is my first new BB device in several years.
    08-20-11 04:49 PM
    Does it do it mainly on the browser or anytime??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 05:26 PM
    Same here. Arrow scrolls up to the top.

08-20-11 05:34 PM
    I have the same problem but mine goes crazy by it self to the right in any application. One solution that worked for me right away is to use the micro fibre cloth that the phone came with to clean the touch screen and trackpad. Let me know if that works

08-20-11 05:36 PM
    What OS is everbody that's having this issue on??

08-20-11 05:39 PM
    I have had it on all three OS's 261(I think) .296, and .317

I also think its a hardware problem because when I cleaned my screen/trackpad, the trackpad returned to acting normal instead of scrolling to the right by it self

snowman83 likes this.
    08-20-11 05:47 PM
    I had .296 with that issue but once I downloaded .340....that fix my issues with the trackpad/cursor going crazy. Give that a shot and see if that helps. U do have 9930, right?

08-20-11 05:50 PM
    i am running version .261 from rogers canada. i can make the issue occur in any screen. This is very annoying and is ruinning what could be a great experience.

i really hope this isnt a hardware issue. my device is made in "Mexico 4".
    08-20-11 06:12 PM
    This happens on my torch. Except it goes down and to the right every once in awhile. You'll learn to not notice it as it doesn't really do anything harmful.
    08-20-11 06:13 PM
    I have a Bold 9900 from Rogers in Canada as well and have the same issue with my phone. I did a fresh software re-install (as told my tech support) and same problem - I scroll down and occasionally the cursor flies up to the top, sometimes it happens alot, sometimes very little.
    I called tech support last night and they sent me a new 9900 as it seems to be a hardware issue.
    Mine is also Made in Mexico 4.
    Tech support said that my phone is considered DOA - Dead on Arrival.
    I didn't even put my SIM car in it, wanted to test the phone out and luckily I did before transferring everything onto it and THEN having to return it.
    It's too bad because this Bold 9900 is SICK and it seems that its the BEST Blackberry EVER made, they keyboard is amazing , it's like typing on little rainbow clouds in heaven

TMl26
    08-20-11 06:26 PM
    Mine got fixed when I wiped the deviced and reloaded the OS.

08-20-11 07:06 PM
    I'm having same problem with trackpad. It is not software issue and mine scrolls to left at random.
    08-20-11 10:31 PM
    I've noticed that the bottom of the screen is really sensitive so much so that when you are using the trackpad on a webpage you can accidently select links or cause the cursor to do wierd things.

You can test it by putting a piece of tape or something thick across the bottom of the screen and then try the trackpad...in my case it was user error because my trackpad behaved perfectly when the touchscreen was blocked off. The little bit of black screen is live I believe.

Not saying this is your case but it seemed to prove that I was the problem, not the machine. It also sounds like a wandering cursor is different than what I experienced.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-22-11 at 02:25 PM.
    bobj66 likes this.
    08-21-11 04:12 PM
    I've noticed that the bottom of the screen is really sensitive so much so that when you are using the trackpad on a webpage you can accidently select links or cause the cursor to do wierd things.

You can test it by putting a piece of tape or something thick across the bottom of the screen and then try the trackpad...in my case it was user error because my trackpad behaved perfectly when the touchscreen was blocked off. The little bit of black screen is live I believe.

Not saying this is your case but it seemed to prove that I was the problem, not the machine.
    Agree. This happened to me also before I figured out that as I was scrolling with the trackpad, my finger was swiping the very bottom of the touch screen. Be precise in your trackpadding and this will stop. Or use the touch screen to scroll, which is what I do now.

08-21-11 04:39 PM
    so is this software related or is this hardware related and there lots of dodgy trackpads out there? I've noticed it when navigating the list of icons on the home screen (shoots to the top) but not when navigating through an email.
    Last edited by alpha beta gaga; 08-22-11 at 01:03 PM.
    Barefoot_Kevin likes this.
    08-22-11 01:00 PM
    Hard to say. I would say it is possibly user error as described above. Test it yourself and see.Note that this is not the same error as the frollicking cursors that runs to the left.That sounds more like a hardware or software bug.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-22-11 at 01:38 PM.
    bobj66 likes this.
    08-22-11 01:24 PM
    I have figured out how to recreate the issue with 100% reproducibility. It occurs only in very low lighting or completely dark rooms. The trackpad worked fine in well lit environments.

I exchanged my device earlier today for a new one. So far I cannot reproduce the issue but I will need more time to completely rule it out. Waiting on an unlock code from my supplier.

One thing I did notice, the menu and back buttons to the immediate left and right of the trackpad on my defective device were raised almost to the height of the trackpad where as my new device has completely flush buttons.
    bahias likes this.
    08-22-11 01:31 PM
    Yeah guys this is VERY annoying, and I'm awaiting a replacement.

For the record, the erratic trackpad arrow scrolling issue is NOT user error. I'm on my 6th day with this phone. It is hard to replicate, that's why it's erratic. It can even shoot to the top of the screen while typing within a text box (like here), so you have to manually scroll it back down.... Can be awfully annoying.

It happens on the Home screen too so it highlights the top 'bar' area of the screen and the screen doesn't shut off on its own because of this, since the OS thinks you're still active with the phone. I have to always pay attention when I set it down or just lock it every time.

08-22-11 02:12 PM
    I have figured out how to recreate the issue with 100% reproducibility. It occurs only in very low lighting or completely dark rooms. The trackpad worked fine in well lit environments.

I exchanged my device earlier today for a new one. So far I cannot reproduce the issue but I will need more time to completely rule it out. Waiting on an unlock code from my supplier.

One thing I did notice, the menu and back buttons to the immediate left and right of the trackpad on my defective device were raised almost to the height of the trackpad where as my new device has completely flush buttons.
    Yes 100% agree! It happens to me whenever there is very low lighting
    08-22-11 02:27 PM
    And there i thought the 9900 had mind reading capabilities...
    08-22-11 02:42 PM
    Yes 100% agree! It happens to me whenever there is very low lighting
    Strange. So does this rule out a hardware issue maybe?

08-22-11 03:24 PM
    Did you all know that there are trackpad and touchscreen settings in your options? Maybe it wouldn't matter but could help some. Mine selects thing randomly on webpages like hovering would hit a link. This doesn't always happen. I can do a battery pul and it's clears it up temporarily. Also when scrolling down it sometimes will show up at the top or even not be able to scroll up! I have Verizon .254.

08-22-11 03:35 PM
    the more posts I read about this the more it sounds like a software bug
    08-22-11 03:46 PM
    Appears to be separate events;
    1. pad with a wunderlust
    2. random link selection in browser

#1 looks like hard/software and #2, at least in my case based on the outlined test, was user error.
    08-22-11 04:34 PM
    I just have had enough with the squirrel browser. I just got off the phone with VZ and they are promptly shipping a new one out. I couldn't not put up with this for 2 years.
    08-22-11 04:42 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD