I always get lured in to topics like this based on the topic's title. When will I ever learn. Stupid me to think that a topic titled "My thoughts on the 9900" would contain initial thoughts by an OP followed by other people's thoughts or constructive replies.

I appreciate the OP's impression. Different people have different expectations for their personal device(s). I don't take the comments in a bad way. If anything, they make me more eager for this device. After all, it's a SmartPhone. To me, the rich deep integration of core components make it smart. The near landline audio quality make it a Phone. And based on other posts, I'm expecting the battery life to be good too.

I'm not looking to switch from an iPhone or Android. My problem is that I really don't mind 2009. I love my Bold 9650 and am looking for justification for spending all this money on a new phone. More of the same plus fast processor, not much sacrifice in battery life, a much improved browser, bigger nicer screen, and an awesome keyboard might make me bite.

Keep the constructive stuff coming. The iPhone is nice. Android is nice. And BBOS is nice. It's not your country, religion, or family. Please don't take it so personally.
    The Bold 9900 is brilliant. I rate phones based on a few things that are important to me. Has to have great reception, has to be great to type on for emails, bbming and texting. The Bold has pretty much a perfect keyboard. I am 43, eyes are going, fingers are fat, this keyboard just down right works perfectly. Call quality is excellent( I am on Bell). Emails are easier
    To read with the larger screen.

I have been using cell phones since they were bricks. Anyone out there saying this is not worth the money really has no clue or they are just in love with their non-blackberry. That is cool if you love any other stylke of phone but to say the new 9900 is crap or not worth the money etc is full of it.

Great phone; great customibility, does what it is supposed to very well indeed.

I gave my daughter, 17 years old my old Bold 9700, she was over the moon because now she can now bbm with all her friends.

Okay, I have stuff to do on my Bold 9900, funny enough, nothing to do with playing games!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    louzer likes this.
    08-12-11 09:44 PM
    Apple needs alot more than an led and call quality upgrade. They need a notification system that doesn't turn your screen on when you get a text message and doesn't tell inform you about email. Apple is nothing more than an mp3 player with a phone added to it. Everything on the phone is flashy and nice looking but, the core functions of a phone are horrible. Losing reception by holding it in a common way is un-exceptible. Not being able to send a song on my phone to someone else so they can listen to it is something an old flip phone could do. Or even save a song that was sent to me. Out of all the phones I've owned the iPhone 4 is the biggest let down. The iOS is restrictive in letting you customize your phone unless you jailbreak it. Even then it's lacking. I can honestly say this phone is nothing more than an over hyped mediocre phone that will be put down by android one day. I'll be very happy to get rid of it for a blackberry.
    To play the devils advocate there is a way you can use your music you have on your iPhone as ringtones and text messages without jail-breaking it. It is pretty easy also.
    08-12-11 09:53 PM
    Whats the security like on your car and house so people aren't hacking into them and unlocking them? I saw an article the other day saying someone figured out how to unlock cars equipped with things like OnStar.

Knock on wood. no problems yet.

Actually, I am not too concerned. I am more worried about rocks the size of cars falling from the sky snd hitting me.
    08-12-11 10:04 PM
    Pal, you have no friggen clue - the same as the guy who 'liked you' for this post.

I think a giant company such as Procter & Gamble knows a thing or two about IT infrastructure and security; they give their employees the option of an iPhone 4 now. *hint hint*

You probably don't even have a job yet by the fact that you mention 'hurry up I hear your parents calling you'.

As far as battery life for those interested: the 9900 disappoints a little on that front. It doesn't make it a full day with moderate use and an hour of talk time. Bad.... I hope the extended batteries come out soon. I just want to leave it for an entire day, and if I forget to charge it... still have power left for the morning like I did with the iPhone 4. RIM can't even win in the battery life department any more with this new phone. Yikes!
    Yea, you showed me with your lack of intellect, knowledge and inability to understand security. Thanks.

P.S. Do ppl still use the term "Pal"? I remember that when I used to watch B&W Popeye cartoons - Remember the can of spinach, PAL. Are you secretly Brutus Beefcake?...Just having fun with this one.

Again, here we go for those less fortunate to understand security (you). This is getting repetitive now for you iPhone guys. I've yet to meet an executive using an iPhone for corporate use yet and here's why, but thanks for playing.

"Overall Assessment: The original iPhone had numerous security holes that were improved by the July 2008 release such as remote wipe, password policy enforcement and VPN. However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone’s 9ile system. The software lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire.

This allows the user to bypass Apple’s security and management systems, rendering the phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense, which is device level security. Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call
    feature to gain access to the home deck, are still being discovered. It also relies on thirdparty vendors to supply security at other levels such as VPNs.

Overall enterprises should proceed with caution and limit the use of iPhones, especially for sensitive data."
    Last edited by Bold9930; 08-13-11 at 05:56 PM.
    08-13-11 08:00 AM
    Ummmm, sorry for posting something thats a bit more closer to the topic of this thread but I am really curious if the OP or anyone else thats been lucky enough to already have the 9900 has noticed any key pad wear. Both the 9700 and 2 of the 9780s Ive had both had significant key pad wear at the raised edge of each key days after recieving each device. Im really hoping this issue was addressed on the 9900 or maybe Im just too hard on my keys????
    08-13-11 09:51 AM
    I'm exchanging mine today actually not because of keypad wear, but because of the cheaply implemented volume rocker keys.

Be careful to check yours before you get it. My volume minus button has pushed in halfway already after only a few days. Kind of cheaply done IMO.

As for Bold9930 above - bud, you have to purposely jailbreak your phone and it's quite the process. It's not really a security risk Just a tip. More proof people spew **** on forums without actually ever having owned said device or software.
    08-14-11 11:46 AM
    Yea, you showed me with your lack of intellect, knowledge and inability to understand security. Thanks.

P.S. Do ppl still use the term "Pal"? I remember that when I used to watch B&W Popeye cartoons - Remember the can of spinach, PAL. Are you secretly Brutus Beefcake?...Just having fun with this one.

Again, here we go for those less fortunate to understand security (you). This is getting repetitive now for you iPhone guys. I've yet to meet an executive using an iPhone for corporate use yet and here's why, but thanks for playing.

"Overall Assessment: The original iPhone had numerous security holes that were improved by the July 2008 release such as remote wipe, password policy enforcement and VPN. However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone’s 9ile system. The software lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire.

This allows the user to bypass Apple’s security and management systems, rendering the phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense, which is device level security. Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call
    feature to gain access to the home deck, are still being discovered. It also relies on thirdparty vendors to supply security at other levels such as VPNs.

Overall enterprises should proceed with caution and limit the use of iPhones, especially for sensitive data."
    I'm curious as to why you're quoting something from 2008, when we are in the year 2011. The vulnerabilities that you thankfully bolded for us, have all been resolved.

The US DoD approves all iOS devices for use, and has a Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG)

Here is a quote from it:

"The iPhone/iPad Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) and associated documents (e.g., Apple iOS Technology Overview, Good Technology iOS Hardening Guide, Apple iOS (with Good Technology’s Good Mobility Suite (GMS)) STIG, GMS Server (iOS) STIG, Smartphone Policy STIG, General Wireless Policy STIG, and Wireless Management Server Policy STIG), provide security policy and configuration requirements for the use of any handheld device using Apple iOS (such as iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch) in the Department of Defense (DoD). Guidance in these documents applies to all DoD iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch systems used to store, process, transmit, or receive DoD information. This STIG applies to iPhone models 3GS and 4 using Apple iOS 4.3 (earlier models should not be used within the DoD), iPad devices using iOS 4.3, and iPod touch 3rd and 4th generation devices."

BTW, is there something wrong with your "F" key?
    Last edited by calaviqpfza4; 08-17-11 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-17-11 07:35 AM
    I still have yet to understand why these two phones keep meeting up in battles in peoples heads. (iphone & Blackberry)

In my opinion they are 2 completely different phones as far as features and usability.

The Blackberry is hands down the best business phone out there period. Have you ever looked at the Crackberry sightings photos? You find people suck as President Obama and other big names in the world all using Blackberries. Now if you go and search iphone sightings the demograph of people is totally different. Nobody that really uses the phone to conduct major business. (this is just what I see)

Now mind you I'm by no ways bashing the iphone, I mean I have one and was using one for my business for about a month or so and the app selection and the ummm app selection was outstanding oh and the html emails were amazing too. But the call quality was less than good and calls would be dropped quite a bit. But again its a really good device if you're looking for that type of thing.

My Bold 9900 now is seriously lacking in the app department but my emails, call quality and overall communication is just perfect! Out the box the BB is ready for business and communication. I had to jailbreak my iphone and SSH into it just to get some of the features that bb already has...just saying.

In closing they are both excellent devices with different strength's and weaknesses. I want to type out a long email to a client about a business idea I want to push forward....Blackberry Bold. I want to watch a video or listen to some music....I prefer my iphone4 for that.

I didn't mention web browsing because side by side on wi-fi they both render about the same.

So to people leaving iOS or Android yeah this may seem like a crappy OS to you, but to people upgrading from older BB's this is a much needed improvement and most couldn't be happier. So don't FLAME them for congratulating RIM making improvements.
    08-17-11 08:58 AM
    The Blackberry is hands down the best business phone out there period. Have you ever looked at the Crackberry sightings photos? You find people suck as President Obama and other big names in the world all using Blackberries. Now if you go and search iphone sightings the demograph of people is totally different. Nobody that really uses the phone to conduct major business. (this is just what I see)
    You're basing the BB as the best business phone because of Crackberry sightings photos and President Obama? You know that President Obama president carries around an iPad... Wow, that's the silliest fan boy reasoning I've heard on this sight...
    08-17-11 09:20 AM
    You're basing the BB as the best business phone because of Crackberry sightings photos and President Obama? You know that President Obama president carries around an iPad... Wow, that's the silliest fan boy reasoning I've heard on this sight...
    I think you clearly missed the point. These devices will co-exist as there's yet to be developed a perfect all in one device, but apple and RIMM are the closest. IMO, BB did much better, as l now have the best of both worlds with my 9930. It's awesome, BTW. Sorry, I cant type on an iPhone and can get calls on it either, but you are here to convince me otherwise, correct?

From a security perspective, it took you a week to find some iPhone information - oh boy..If you think it's an accident the president is using a BB, you are really off your rocker, bud.
    08-17-11 09:28 AM

"Overall Assessment: The original iPhone had numerous security holes that were improved by the July 2008 release such as remote wipe, password policy enforcement and VPN. However, the iPhone OS still suffers from a major security vulnerability, which is called jailbreaking. Jailbreaking allows the user to modify iPhone�s 9ile system. The software lets the user unlock the phone and download any applications they desire.

This allows the user to bypass Apple�s security and management systems, rendering the phone susceptible to security threats such as malware and hackers. In addition, the platform still lacks critical security features such as on device data encryption and over the air 9irmware updates. As a result, the iPhone security solution fails at the 9irst line of defense, which is device level security. Vulnerabilities, such as using the emergency call

Actually no. I'm using BES on the iPhone 4. It seems as if most people forgot that RIM is making BES available on other Platforms. It has it's pro's & cons but it makes the device suitable for corporate use on any level. That said, otherwise it's no comparison. But not every business needs triple AES either. And that's why many firms are letting employee's choose their device.
    08-17-11 09:34 AM
    I think you clearly missed the point. These devices will co-exist as there's yet to be developed a perfect all in one device, but apple and RIMM are the closest. IMO, BB did much better, as l now have the best of both worlds with my 9930. It's awesome, BTW. Sorry, I cant type on an iPhone and can get calls on it either, but you are here to convince me otherwise, correct?

From a security perspective, it took you a week to find some iPhone information - oh boy..If you think it's an accident the president is using a BB, you are really off your rocker, bud.
    I'm not going to convince you of anything, why would I waste my time? I'm not sure what you mean by "it took me a week to find some iPhone information", but whatever makes your day.

It's no accident that the President is using an BB, the american government is a huge BB customer (probably RIM's largest), that's not a secret, so why wouldn't he carry one?

I can't wait until he starts carrying around a Playbook, so all the fanboys can wet their pants with excitement.
    08-17-11 09:59 AM
    I'm not going to convince you of anything, why would I waste my time? I'm not sure what you mean by "it took me a week to find some iPhone information", but whatever makes your day.

It's no accident that the President is using an BB, the american government is a huge BB customer (probably RIM's largest), that's not a secret, so why wouldn't he carry one?

I can't wait until he starts carrying around a Playbook, so all the fanboys can wet their pants with excitement.
    Hate to break it to ya, buddy, but EVERY government uses BB, not just in America.

Do I need to remind you again, this is a 20 Billion company?

Lastly, how many business professionals can type on that virtual keyboard? They are still using BB again, budddy. For the few "other" devices they are letting onto to the networks, .0001 really doesn't cause me any major concern.
    08-17-11 10:10 AM
    Hate to break it to ya, buddy, but EVERY government uses BB, not just in America.

Do I need to remind you again, this is a 20 Billion company?

Lastly, how many business professionals can type on that virtual keyboard? They are still using BB again, budddy. For the few "other" devices they are letting onto to the networks, .0001 really doesn't cause me any major concern.
    OK, thanks buddy for your well articulated points. Gold Star for you! Oh, and buddy, it's a 13B company... but why bother about things like facts...
    08-17-11 10:25 AM
    smh so totally missed the point...again (as it seems you do quite often in here)

I'm NOT basing it on that, those were just examples...and just a couple at that. Sure Obama uses the ipad that's great if we were talking tablets don't you think? But just so you don't misconstrue what I'm saying again... I'm talking about a secure and reliable phone. The blackberry is still the most used business PHONE out.

And I'm done..please refer to my signature.....
    08-17-11 10:30 AM
    OK, thanks buddy for your well articulated points. Gold Star for you! Oh, and buddy, it's a 13B company... but why bother about things like facts...
    So I quote revenue and give me market cap. Nice. Fiscal 2011 revenue was 19.9 Billion, up 33% from 15 Billion year prior. they also reported record shippments.

But you already knew this. Oh, that's 52 million smartphones shipped if you are keeping track.

08-17-11 11:02 AM
    @bud, @pal,

Isn't the information age wonderful? With news, opinions, and statistics globally available the second they're published, anyone with a browser, news app, or decent RSS reader can become a subject matter expert in a matter of moments.

It's nice to see that using a BB, Android, or iPhone, does not compromise anyone's abilities to gather information and report it back on forums like this - even if the information skews the information in one direction or another.

Most of the posts here have sources to back fact/opinion. Isn't it nice to see that everyone is right? After all, I'm loving my BB experience as much as others are loving their Android and iPhone experiences. I think it's great that everyone is so passionate about their devices. But can't we just acknowledge that despite 'facts' found on the interwebs, it's entirely possible for two people to enjoy different experiences even if they are able to find news/blogs by like-minded people to support their position?
    08-17-11 11:21 AM
    @bud, @pal,

Isn't the information age wonderful? With news, opinions, and statistics globally available the second they're published, anyone with a browser, news app, or decent RSS reader can become a subject matter expert in a matter of moments.

It's nice to see that using a BB, Android, or iPhone, does not compromise anyone's abilities to gather information and report it back on forums like this - even if the information skews the information in one direction or another.

Most of the posts here have sources to back fact/opinion. Isn't it nice to see that everyone is right? After all, I'm loving my BB experience as much as others are loving their Android and iPhone experiences. I think it's great that everyone is so passionate about their devices. But can't we just acknowledge that despite 'facts' found on the interwebs, it's entirely possible for two people to enjoy different experiences even if they are able to find news/blogs by like-minded people to support their position?
    Haven't you figured it out yet? Forums, regardless of topic, are just a method for users to pass time and *****? Its either here or at home, so at least we have the means to sit behind a keyboard without anyone every knowing our true identities. I'm sure most take all of this with a grain of salt. At least I true to.

08-17-11 11:25 AM
    Haven't you figured it out yet? Forums, regardless of topic, are just a method for users to pass time and *****? Its either here or at home, so at least we have the means to sit behind a keyboard without anyone every knowing our true identities. I'm sure most take all of this with a grain of salt. At least I true to.

Completely agreed. I just couldn't find the smiley with it's tongue in it's cheek.
    08-17-11 11:35 AM
    please refer to my signature.....
    "Never you argue with a fool, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

your signature is DIAMONDS!
    08-17-11 12:31 PM
    President Obama uses a Blackberry because he CHOOSES to. The news went ape**** when they found out RIM had to overhaul the security protection on the Prez's BB. All because he WANTED to keep his device.
    08-18-11 01:37 PM
    President Obama uses a Blackberry because he CHOOSES to. The news went ape**** when they found out RIM had to overhaul the security protection on the Prez's BB. All because he WANTED to keep his device.
    He also uses and iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. )

08-18-11 01:40 PM
    He also uses and iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. )

Looks like Biden is the one who uses the iPhone
    08-18-11 02:47 PM
    They’re not using it, they’re laughing at it!
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    08-18-11 02:58 PM
149 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD