You must never have used iOS, or certainly not iOS4. It's quite good software; I said this from a user perspective and a developers perspective as I have been both.

The BB OS does things right; namely letting you access your messages and phone extremely fast. But, the outdated options menus and all the rest of it is just that - severely outdated. I want to really like it, but I like the truth of things better than clouded reality unlike you seem to have
    I think what we are experiencing is a difference of opinion. I have used every OS currently available. I prefer the BB OS. I am not personally as impressed with the iphone options menu as you are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 12:42 AM
    He ( Chorner ) is absolutely right about the iphone call quality being maggoty compared to the blackberry - I'm the last of my kind ( a blackberry user ) at the company I work for and say of the mobile phones that call me the folks on iphones sound like they are inside a tin can.

RIM has other things going for it I can think of such as the way their push email works. I don't know of any other "tech" that's easier on a battery than blackberry push and frankly nothing better for texting.

That aside the iphone hands BB's Donkey to it on a paper plate on every other task someone would expect of a "smart-phone". Most people who REALLY use their cell phones for work use the camera in it ALL THE TIME. When I got my Bold 9650 I finally got to retire the point and shoot I had been packing around for the last two years and with the clairity of the 9650's AF I could snap shots of notes or information I always had to get a paper and pen for.

The point is that having a good 3.2mp camera in my bold made my life easier by making my job much easier.

To be frank the poster is correct in that OS7 simply allows a person to do what they previously did much faster - nothing has really changed in that the phone can't really do anything more than it did previously aside from having a touch screen.

Not only that but RIM went backwards by putting an EDOF camera in the device which simply can't render a close up shot of those things a business phone should be able to take - such as notes, sections of documents, pictures for insurance claims, etc.

RIM deserves some nasty feedback on the camera issue alone! They soiled the bed badly and think customers who have been loyal for years are just gonna roll around with them in that bed.

If those of us who are "real" fans of RIM don't start letting RIM know when it dungs on the carpet we will watch this company implode. I for one don't want to see that happen.

The Bold 9900 would have been nearly perfect for everything I need a "smart phone" to do if it would have only had the same camera my bold 9650 has in it. As it stands a two / three year old Blackberry has been proven to have a significantly better camera in it then does the 9930 / 9900. To add more insult the new 9900 camera can't be used to document business related thing because it simply can't capture it - at all!

If any doubt simply go to the 9900 forum and look over some of the reviews that have mentioned the camera. the shots are of a practical joke status, absolutely horrific.

If RIM is to survive they must build on their previous devices and made them better or at the minimum keep them the same ( Rim has been good at that part ) however they must NOT take giant leaps backwards.

I mean seriously, has anyone taken note of the absolute junk camera they put in what they call their flagship device?
    Dude calm down. The camera is actually pretty damn good. Just hold your camera farther away and crop it later. Problem solved.

I didn't know people were still whining about the camera on these forums.

08-11-11 12:48 AM
    OS7 feels like OS6 on my 9780, other than the new icons.
    It is supposed to. Certainly it is faster as well.

08-11-11 12:55 AM
    It is supposed to. Certainly it is faster as well.

If it's supposed to, then why is it a whole new OS then? Feature wise there is nothing new really.

Everything that is new is hardware wise, the phone itself is beautiful and the specs have been boosted big time. But no one can say this is a new OS, at least not with a straight face.
    08-11-11 01:07 AM
    You must never have used iOS, or certainly not iOS4. It's quite good software; I said this from a user perspective and a developers perspective as I have been both.

The BB OS does things right; namely letting you access your messages and phone extremely fast. But, the outdated options menus and all the rest of it is just that - severely outdated. I want to really like it, but I like the truth of things better than clouded reality unlike you seem to have
    Ummm....isn't this the objective?
    Kanuck34 likes this.
    08-11-11 01:14 AM
    BlackBerry OS-7 is a minor upgrade cosmetically, but if look a little deeper the memory management, battery backup, browser have been all upgraded. We do not buy BlackBerries for the way the OS looks but the way it's easier and better to read/write emails, texts, and the call quality.
    Guatiao and sengzai like this.
    08-11-11 01:24 AM
    OS7 as a whole? Garbage. I was really hoping since my Bold 9000 and OS 5 it would've picked up... but not really.
    I'm just trying to understand what's outdated about it. Can you give specifics?

In another post you said it's the options menu. What's wrong with it? I think it's much more efficient on the Blackberry. On iOS, for most options you have to go slide to a whole separate screen just for a simple input. Very inefficient.

I don't know what else you wanted. Progress on iOS has been in gaining cut and paste, multi-tasking and notifications. All features the Blackberry had, just now it has caught up in hardware acceleration. iOS caught up some, as did BBOS. Seems all good to me.

Yes, the app situation is well known but otherwise, you need to give some detail if you want to be taken seriously.
    08-11-11 01:28 AM
    Lets see the positives first..takes few days for users to adjust and to see real battery life.
    htc_maple likes this.
    08-11-11 01:29 AM
    BB7 isn't garbage, its the same OS that a lot of us have grown to love and rely on. Just because it isn't drastically different doesn't mean it sucks..

If you wanted big changes, return the phone and wait to see if QNX fulfills your wants and needs. Simple as that.

QNX makes some of us nervous, because we actually do enjoy the BB OS, if we didn't then we would have returned the phone like you should be doing.

UrbanGlowCam and southlander like this.
    08-11-11 01:30 AM
    I believe 1.2ghz processors will change bbos experience for.sure but what experience would you expect from bold's small screen? Qnx on small screen will not be useful..see hp veer and pre2.
    08-11-11 01:36 AM
    I believe 1.2ghz processors will change bbos experience for.sure but what experience would you expect from bold's small screen? Qnx on small screen will not be useful..see hp veer and pre2.
    The veer is a zoolander phone. I played with one at best buy a week ago. I was stunned. I couldn't imagine a single one selling. It is the size of a zippo.

08-11-11 01:53 AM
    You iPhone guys crack me up.

First, the world doesn't revolve around Apple, even though you want to believe it does. Next, if the iPhone is so good, why do you feel compelled to come back over RIMM? Well, I can help you guys....It's because the iPhone isn't the end all. You don't have a keyboard, remember?

But what's funny, you come back to a BB, then complain the UI is still the same...We call that being consistent and familar. Why mess with something that works?

The reality is that most cell phone users needs are met with texting and email. Sure, the iPhone is wonderful for the web and "apps"; but do we really need 300K fart apps? And, how many of those "cool" must have apps do you really need/use after the first week? Again, I can help you - it's very low.

So in the end, this poor BB 9900, with the same old OS just doesn't please you iPhone users...Here's a suggestion - stay over there. We like what we have as it meets our needs in spades. 99% of what the majority of users need is text and email, and BTW, if you haven't noticed, the BB does this BETTER than the iPhone.

Most of my web needs are met regardless on my BB, but ok, the iPhone is better in this regard...Who cares....You still can't type and that's why you came back to RIMM.

In the end, there's no one phone that works for everyone - same for cars, televisions, etc, etc. But that doesn't mean I should bash Sony because I like Samsung better. You apple guys are all the same...Full of SH_T and basically envious of what the BB does, but the iPhone doesn't. Hate to break it to you guys, but there WON"T be just one cell phone maker in the world. Hate to bust your bubble.

In this world, BILLIONS of text messages are sent monthly. I checked our Verizon usage and my wife and I each send 800-1000 text messages a month. For that, my BB works superior than anything I've found to date - be it a DROID or an iPhone. And I LOVE the email on the BB. 50 million users must know something.

So take your fart apps and please stop your whining.....We don't care, really. But pick one and move on already.

And here's some secondary research that's out from the UK just to add credibility to the above thoughts.

“The Apple iPhone is the most popular brand of smartphone, but BlackBerry handsets are a favourite choice among younger consumers;”

“Apple’s iPhone is the most popular brand of smartphone, with a 32% share among adults. This is the brand of choice among ABC1s (37%) and is even higher among ABs alone (44%). But BlackBerry handsets have also taken a significant share of the market (24%) and are particularly popular among younger adults and teens (37% each). Female teens, in particular, appear to have a preference for BlackBerry handsets (44%). Anecdotal evidence suggests that this preference is driven by the BlackBerry messenger service (BBM) which offers a free alternative to texting (SMS). Users like the ease-of-use of the Blackberry keypad.”
    Last edited by Bold9930; 08-11-11 at 02:34 AM.
    08-11-11 02:31 AM
    Then why are you bother buying new bb handset? why dont you use good old 8700? It still works.
    08-11-11 03:14 AM
    Ummm...Touchscreen, 1.2 GHZ, better web, faster, larger keyboard, cooler than ever - shall I go on?
    08-11-11 03:17 AM
    So the iPhone, according to the OP, does not type as well as the 9900, and the phone's call quality is "absolute garbage". He forgot to mention that battery life is also "garbage".

That said, he preferred the iPhone. Presumably for games and apps and such.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I get a phone mainly for phone calls and then the extras. And to last as long as I do. And to be able to enter and extract info from it accurately and comfortably.

But that's just me...
    Statehouse likes this.
    08-11-11 03:21 AM
    BlackBerry or wp7.5 for me.
    Ditto that. I've been waiting for Blackberry to get its act together on the browser side since the Bold 9000 launch (when I first joined this site). I love my WP7 phone, but the fact that it doesn't support expandable memory and no Flash on the horizon is leading me to look long and hard at the Bold 9900 w/Playbook. I already love the Playbook, I'm waiting to see the reviews of the 9900 trickle in, then I'll probably have to import an unlocked one to use on ATT. >.<b
    08-11-11 03:28 AM
    I have to agree the 9900 is a letdown for me. It really doesn't entice me enough to get rid of my 9700. Instead of me going on and on about what other OSes are better I will just compare it to me 9700. New models should always be better than previous models. I will miss auto-focus, UMA (could be a carrier thing too), battery life, etc for what? Speedier menu swipes? or is it the "liquid graphics"? Why does the device even need a 1.2 ghz processor? Is there is really nothing for it to chew up? NFC? Also whats with the small amount of app storage? I am a little puzzled. I was slightly disappointed with the 9870 (my wife's phone) but am truly disappointed with the 9900. Now, I am still happy with my 9700 (I guess happier than I thought). I will keep it until I truly can find something better. I will just be grumpy at RIM for a while.
    wtmk81 likes this.
    08-11-11 08:02 AM

Yes Blackberries are excellent for actually making phone calls and quickly responding to messages (text, BBM, chat email etc). They really suck for third party app support.

Which is why I really don't understand people who want a touch screen only BB (or even a Torch). If you loose the keyboard, you lose a core part of what makes a BB a BB.
    DarshOne likes this.
    08-11-11 08:15 AM
    So after toying with the Bold 9900 for a good 4-5 hours I've come to the conclusion that while the device is an excellent upgrade in terms of speed, and the capability of the device itself - OS7 has got to go. It's pretty much a pile of crap with lack of any true apps.

Coming from an iPhone 4, it feels like I've gone back in time. However, the typing has improved and one of my biggest complaints of the iPhone 4 -> the call quality was absolute garbage. The call quality on the 9900 is up there with the level of clarity you receive on a landline. Impressive. The ease of getting to what you need to get to communications wise on the BB is also great. The phone looks sexy as well, but unfortunately this is where it stops. The quality of the software and the speed of the iPhone 4 trounces this 9900.

Can only get worse for the BB fans once iOS5 comes out; if Apple decides to add an external notification led then look out.

Awesome phone itself, but the platform is the same crap I'd used on the Bold 9000 - that is to say, I feel like I'm back in 2008.

I'll be keeping the Bold 9900 as my girlfriend is getting my iPhone 4 as an upgrade from her 3Gs; but we shall see what happens in the future. If Apple ups their call quality and adds an external led...
    Just came back to bberry from iphone 4 running beta iOS 5. I have to say that iphone is a great product but from all the apps i have installed on it, i truly only use a few on a reg basis. Having said that, the apps on the iphone are vastly more visually rich and if this is what you mean by going back in time, i'll agree with you. Nevertheless, i have to say that bbm is such a pleasure and imessage does not compare, the reason for this being is how one has to constantly unlock the phone and cannot customize how the device vibrates or rings when getting the messages (if feels like getting bombared with text messages.)

I constantly find myself texting and calling and after having an iphone for a long time i have to say, bberry is superior in this respect.
    08-11-11 08:17 AM
    OP what is missing from the OS that you want other then eye candy? Are there stock apps or functions on the iphone that are missing on the bb or is all apps that you've downloaded or bought to make the iphone like you want?
    08-11-11 08:53 AM
    Im thinking some of you guys who say blackberry is far superior to iphone because of sending/recieving emails and texts is much better have never had an iphone for any long period of time, I could be wrong here but thats the impression Im getting.

I admit Im currently on an iphone right now. I can tell you this device can sent/recieve emails and texts just as good as any device out there. I get my work emails before my desktop does, I sent and recieve texts and personal emails just fine. The os runs very smooth and almost never lags, freezes, or randomly reboots. That being said the reason Im waiting on the 9930 is that I miss the form factor of blackberrys. I love the physical keyboard and the overall feel of blackberrys. I plan on getting one as soon as it hits verizon but I also do plan on keeping my iphone.

P.S....Andriod stinks
    merp23 likes this.
    08-11-11 09:06 AM
    On topic please... a user summary of his new Bold 9900.

Debate the devices, not the users. If there are more jabs at and insults directed at other members someone will be leaving the forums for a cooling off period. The weekend is coming, and a few high profile bannings always works to encourage good behavior....
    08-11-11 09:45 AM
    I don't know about anyone else but great CALL quality and ease of COMMUNICATING is what I expect from a PHONE!

So thanks OP for confirming why BB will always be the clear winner for me personally.
    Thank you sir! Your comment made my day. Some still don't understand.

brewkelyn and southlander like this.
    08-11-11 10:05 AM
    haha.. i feel bad for the OP.. i'm sure if someone went on the iphone forums and posted some of what you guys are saying you get just as flamed for it..

each phone has it's cons and pros.. not just trying to be diplomatic but it's true and it's what i respond to every thread about comparing devices. with the 9900 it's probably on par with performance, which is in the views of Apple people and analysts, "CRAP", since the ip4 is a year old...

iOS has looked and felt the same since the 1st gen.. back end probably changed with respects with developing and optimization but look and feel the exact same. I've had both the iphone 1 and iphone 4 exactly the same (minor upgrades, i.e. moving icons around the screen, the 1st gen when it first came out, you couldn't do that.. icons were fixed!

just like OS5, OS6, OS7.. look and feel is pretty similar, if your blackberry user it's comfortable.. if your not it can take some time getting used to.. upgrades to backend and hopefully developing wise with 0S7 so we can get some devs on board and back to developing for blackberries

and it's really a person's opinion if something is OUTDATED or not.. just cause OP said it was OUTDATED doesn't mean it is for most of us.. it was his opinion..
    Bold9930 and sf49ers like this.
    08-11-11 10:26 AM
    I'm still really waiting to hear about the device. lets see some picture/video quality.

lets hear about the touchscreen...browsing capabilities...anything other than "call quality" and then a comparison to iPhone.
    08-11-11 10:26 AM
149 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD