First some background info; last Blackberry I used was the 9700 which was a pretty decent phone for the year I had it. Great phone except the screen was a bit small at times and various OS6 bugs (browser low memory crashes, mystery battery drains, etc.) Switched to an Atrix(android) for browsing experience, speed,apps, and bigger screen.

Lately, Ive been missing the BB experience because i really prefer a physical keyboard and I find a BB easier to use with one hand and if Im walking around etc. When the 9900 was announced i was really looking forward to upgrading

Just went to Bestbuy where they had the 9900 set up and it was connected to wifi and played with one; i was intent on upgrading then and there;

Build quality was superb and felt wonderful in hand; the screen is sharp and clear and looked huge next to the 9700; keyboard nice and tactile, and the touchpad felt good. The phone is really fast and responsive to touch and button presses, and pinch to zoom was really smooth - liquid graphics is real!

However some things made me reconsider and I'm still on the fence;

1) cost

I'm nine months early and theres a $180 dollar penalty for Rogers; 249+180+35 fee + taxes (subtract 50 dollar rebate) still works out to be 420 before the rebate

2) touchscreen/touchpad close together

when I'm trying to scroll quick with the touchpad, I found that my thumb would hit the touchscreen and cause scrolling and selection errors - i think ill be able to get used to it

3) camera

I used the text mode and it makes reading text possible, but its still a little blurry. Wasnt too surprised as this camera doesnt have AF. I took a few pics of the interior of the store, and it was well lit. The pictures looked nice and balanced but when zoomed in closer, it was very grainy and full of sharpening artifacts - understandable as EDoF likely assumes a very small aperture to get everything in focus, and this in turn leads to diffraction which obscures details.

4) The menu, phone, back keys feel a little shallow and I'd like a bit more depth to the button presses.

5) Browser

Much faster than the 9700, and is lightning quick on text focused websites like crackberry forums etc.

On more complex pages like engadget or hardocp.com, I found lots of *checkerboarding* as I scrolled. Most of it went away when the page finished loading. This was annoying as I could not scroll smoothly until a page loaded and this took up to 5-10 seconds on a page like hardocp.

6) word wrap

I found the word wrapping inconsistent and made me have to scroll more than I would have liked on some webpages.

So as it stands I'm still on the fence, if the price drops a bit I might pick one up but for now, I feel that doesnt offer enough over (maybe even less in some areas such as browsing and the camera) the Atrix
    kevinnugent and twigg like this.
    08-13-11 09:41 PM
    Nice. Simple. To the point. Thanks!
    08-13-11 10:45 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm still deciding on whether to upgrade to the 9930 right now it doesn't seem worth the money to me but I will have to see.
    08-13-11 10:57 PM
    1) cost

I'm nine months early and theres a $180 dollar penalty for Rogers; 249+180+35 fee + taxes (subtract 50 dollar rebate) still works out to be 420 before the rebate
    its worth remembering on the cost side that your current device will be redundant should you get a new phone, so some funds can be reclaimed through selling that.
    08-13-11 11:03 PM
    Everyone lives in Canada is lucky. I live in Greece and release date here is not announced yet... I ordered mine from ebay for 880 usd (rogers unlocked) and i dont regret it, cause it deserves every dollar( i cancelled preorder from amazon uk). This phone is simply perfect.
    08-13-11 11:25 PM
    1) cost

If you're already doing to be paying that much, just get it off contract. And if you're getting an off contract, you should just get an unbranded one. Saves your upgrade for QNX or whatever you may want.
    2) touchscreen/touchpad close together

when I'm trying to scroll quick with the touchpad, I found that my thumb would hit the touchscreen and cause scrolling and selection errors - i think ill be able to get used to it
    You'll just have to get use to is, there's no way around it either.
    3) camera

I used the text mode and it makes reading text possible, but its still a little blurry. Wasnt too surprised as this camera doesnt have AF. I took a few pics of the interior of the store, and it was well lit. The pictures looked nice and balanced but when zoomed in closer, it was very grainy and full of sharpening artifacts - understandable as EDoF likely assumes a very small aperture to get everything in focus, and this in turn leads to diffraction which obscures details.
    It's not a "good" camera, especially for a flagship device. It takes ok pictures, except for close ups. You can keep your current phone to take picutres. It's a hassle I know. But if you don't use it two often then it won't be that bad.
    4) The menu, phone, back keys feel a little shallow and I'd like a bit more depth to the button presses.
    That's the consequence for them trying to make it super flush.
    5) Browser

Much faster than the 9700, and is lightning quick on text focused websites like crackberry forums etc.

On more complex pages like engadget or hardocp.com, I found lots of *checkerboarding* as I scrolled. Most of it went away when the page finished loading. This was annoying as I could not scroll smoothly until a page loaded and this took up to 5-10 seconds on a page like hardocp.
    Eh, it's better than before. I'll take what I can get.
    6) word wrap

I found the word wrapping inconsistent and made me have to scroll more than I would have liked on some webpages.
    Eh, it's just how it is. Although it's much more frustrating to scroll on a smaller screen.
    08-13-11 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD