Perfect battery life, 'clickity' keyboard, bright screen and back light, flush buttons and overall solid build.

The only issue I have is with the escape/back key. It creaks when pushed closer to the track pad and doesn't have as good of a click as the other buttons do (send, menu and end keys).

Am I being too picky or should I get a replacement device to prevent this annoyance from evolving into a non functioning 'back' key?

Thanks guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 05:30 AM
    if you get another one make sure you test it a lot before taking it home. i see a lot of devices, mostly the mexico made ones, with manufacturing problems. check it out hard so you don't end up with an even worse one. thank god mine is fine, since it's imported and warranty it would be a crazy expensive thing!
    09-13-11 05:37 AM
    I don't have time to go to a store. If I do request an exchange it'd be through Verizon CS over the phone.

09-13-11 05:47 AM
    I think you should show them the issue and look at a new one see if there is a difference. I can see over time with heavy use mine wearing out.

09-13-11 06:04 AM
    I've never actaully heard of a back key 'wearing out', but who knows.

Just note that if you are ording online you don't know the condition the new phone will be in.... Might end up having to settling with a much worse issue in the long run.
    09-13-11 08:50 AM
    Sounds like your pros outweigh your cons, I'd keep the phone.

lewisc1979 likes this.
    09-13-11 09:32 AM
    I've never actaully heard of a back key 'wearing out', but who knows.

Just note that if you are ording online you don't know the condition the new phone will be in.... Might end up having to settling with a much worse issue in the long run.
    Several of my former 8530 Curve phones had the keys fall off due to wear. On another, my S and A key were so sensitive that when I'd hit the A key to type the word "water" for instance, it'd come out "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaater" because of how bad the A key was. I could brush my finger over it like a trackpad and it'd go nuts. My text messages were 4 and 5 texts long because of the superfluous letters that I couldn't get rid of.

If you've got warranty and you hate what it's doing, request a warranty exchange from RIM. It's free. Lord knows I went through about 8 of them in under a year with my old Curves.
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    09-13-11 09:37 AM
    If you've got warranty and you hate what it's doing, request a warranty exchange from RIM. It's free. Lord knows I went through about 8 of them in under a year with my old Curves.
    How do I initiate a warranty exchange through RIM as opposed to VZW?

Thanks for the suggestion, btw!
    09-13-11 10:00 AM

If you bought your phone thru a carrier since RIM does not sell phones you MUST go thru the carrier to initiate an exchange and if you don't have time to go to the store(carrier) I would suggest you do so when you do walk out as was previously suggested you know everything is to your liking and all is well.

Make the time and you will be more satisfied and forget about RIM, they will do nothing for you.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    09-13-11 10:05 AM
    My whole row squeaks. It happens when I push so that its rubbing against the display frame. If I click straight down, no squeak.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 09-13-11 at 10:20 AM.
    09-13-11 10:10 AM
    If you bought your phone thru a carrier since RIM does not sell phones you MUST go thru the carrier to initiate an exchange and if you don't have time to go to the store(carrier) I would suggest you do so when you do walk out as was previously suggested you know everything is to your liking and all is well.

Make the time and you will be more satisfied and forget about RIM, they will do nothing for you.
    ^^This. Is. The. Answer.^^
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    09-13-11 10:13 AM
    Perfect battery life, 'clickity' keyboard, bright screen and back light, flush buttons and overall solid build.

The only issue I have is with the escape/back key. It creaks when pushed closer to the track pad and doesn't have as good of a click as the other buttons do (send, menu and end keys).

Am I being too picky or should I get a replacement device to prevent this annoyance from evolving into a non functioning 'back' key?

Thanks guys!

Seriously????
    09-13-11 10:28 AM
    Seriously????
    I am still waiting for someone to complain about the 9900 "smell"!
    09-13-11 10:31 AM
    I just have to ask this question and it is not personal.... Have you ever directly dealt with RIM and received a replacement phone from them having bought your phone from a carrier? My point is NO I don'tthink so, Why tell someone to do this when it is impossible as Brad would back me up.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    09-13-11 10:31 AM
    ^^This. Is. The. Answer.^^
    Thank you Brad!! ^^
    09-13-11 10:33 AM
    i am still waiting for someone to complain about the 9900 "smell"!
    :d:d:d:d:d:d
    09-13-11 10:38 AM
    So don't click there. Honestly, I'm convinced you guys must spend the majority of your time looking for problems.

09-13-11 11:29 AM

You're welcome and you can also call your WSP.

I just have to ask this question and it is not personal.... Have you ever directly dealt with RIM and received a replacement phone from them having bought your phone from a carrier?
    Yes. I've received calls from and called RIM before when I was having problems with my 3rd Curve in one week. Every one they sent me was broken. Sprint said it was a bad phone from RIM and gave me the # to RIM since I had 3 broken phones in one week. Each phone didn't work before I left the store. I called RIM and spoke to a man and the issue was handled promptly.

My point is NO I don'tthink so, Why tell someone to do this when it is impossible as Brad would back me up.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. I've dealt with both RIM and Sprint and even a rep from RIM and Sprint on a conference call dealing with my bad phones. Sprint had a phone tagged that I was having problems with for their version of IT to take a look at things from their end. They kept bumping my ticket up to the next level at the help desk, thus ensuring me a delay in getting a new phone. Each bump took 3 business days to investigate. By the 4th bump and almost 2 weeks later, I was livid. I called Sprint and got ahold of a very nice CSR who gave me RIM's # to call them directly. I did and RIM called Sprint and we had a nice conference call and I got a new 8530 through a warranty exchange.

As it was said before in this forum, "Facts are your friends."

By "starting a warranty claim with RIM" it means call your WSP and complain. Your device has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty through RIM so if the clicky screen quits or in this case, the buttons malfunction and it's not a result of water damage or operator error (dropping, throwing, misplacing, microwaving), you'll get a free replacement.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 09-13-11 at 11:39 AM.
    09-13-11 11:37 AM
    I had the EXACT same problem.
    I was, like you, wondering if I was being too funny about it & was also contemplating to take back the phone.
    After a few days it stopped.
    I thought that I wouldn't take it back as its just a squeaky button and I wouldn't want to get a phone that could end up having worse off problems.
    I haven't had the problem since.
    If it bugs you that much, take it back.
    But the squeakiness of buttons etc, usually goes once the buttons have been worn down.
    Mine has.
    I wouldn't change it for anything
    dehrlich01 likes this.
    09-13-11 11:56 AM
    You're welcome and you can also call your WSP.

Yes. I've received calls from and called RIM before when I was having problems with my 3rd Curve in one week. Every one they sent me was broken. Sprint said it was a bad phone from RIM and gave me the # to RIM since I had 3 broken phones in one week. Each phone didn't work before I left the store. I called RIM and spoke to a man and the issue was handled promptly.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I've dealt with both RIM and Sprint and even a rep from RIM and Sprint on a conference call dealing with my bad phones. Sprint had a phone tagged that I was having problems with for their version of IT to take a look at things from their end. They kept bumping my ticket up to the next level at the help desk, thus ensuring me a delay in getting a new phone. Each bump took 3 business days to investigate. By the 4th bump and almost 2 weeks later, I was livid. I called Sprint and got ahold of a very nice CSR who gave me RIM's # to call them directly. I did and RIM called Sprint and we had a nice conference call and I got a new 8530 through a warranty exchange.

As it was said before in this forum, "Facts are your friends."

By "starting a warranty claim with RIM" it means call your WSP and complain. Your device has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty through RIM so if the clicky screen quits or in this case, the buttons malfunction and it's not a result of water damage or operator error (dropping, throwing, misplacing, microwaving), you'll get a free replacement.
    Well I really don't want to argue with you for real but the bottom line is that when you call your carrier and it escalates(The Problem) you are having through tech support to the pointthat they cannot help you theycan use their carrier code to call RIM direct so that you don't have to pay for a tech complaint which RIM charges for. That is as far as it goes.

Rim will talk to you yes and even they will escalate complaints and they might even with and along with your carrier send the carrier a phone to send you but more then likely it was your carriers choice to do what they did.

It is in RIMs agreement with all carriers that since they DO NOT sell direct to the public, they cannot and will not directly replace a phone for you. I can assure you never received any replacement direct from RIM in Waterloo Ontario. The replacement came from Sprint whether you want to admit it or not. This is RIMs policy and carrier agreement and it is not going to change or everyone would be calling RIm to get a replacement so think about it for a moment.

I am not trying to call you out or say you are wrong with your facts but I just know how RIM works with their carriers and that is all there is to it. Sorry!
    09-13-11 12:45 PM
    It is pretty nit-picky. I'd even go as far as to say you might be a little too DP anal about it even.
    09-13-11 01:00 PM
    It is pretty nit-picky. I'd even go as far as to say you might be a little too DP anal about it even.
    Clever. You still laugh at farts, too?
    09-13-11 01:13 PM
    My only question is why would RIM release a phone with this issue.
    Its something MANY people have reported. Its a button many press many times a day, and its different then the others, it simply does NOT click correctly? Why would that be over looked?
    09-13-11 01:30 PM
    I can assure you never received any replacement direct from RIM in Waterloo Ontario. The replacement came from Sprint whether you want to admit it or not.
    JFC. No one understands me. Maybe I should start just speaking in French. Maybe then everyone will quit mistinterpreting what I say.

I know us southerners have a different way of speaking, but people here take things too damn literal. "I'm going to Wal-Mart" means "I'm going shopping" but people here ONLY take it to mean that I am going to Wal-Mart and will do nothing but sit in the parking lot and stare at the building.

Same thing with my comment. It TOOK a call TO RIM to get a new phone because Sprint was being a dbag about it. No where in my post did I say that RIM would send the OP a new phone or that RIM sent me one from Canada. If you must know, mine came from Carol Stream, IL. "File a warranty claim with RIM" means to do just that but most people know to call your WSP to do it and not call RIM and go "Gimmie a new phone!" Same thing when you have a warranty problem with your brand new Nissan. You don't call Nissan's corporate offices. You call your dealer.

Apparently the OP didn't and you mistook me.

Dor�navant dehors, Fran�ais seulement! (From now on out, French only!)
    09-13-11 02:01 PM
    JFC. No one understands me. Maybe I should start just speaking in French. Maybe then everyone will quit mistinterpreting what I say.

I know us southerners have a different way of speaking, but people here take things too damn literal. "I'm going to Wal-Mart" means "I'm going shopping" but people here ONLY take it to mean that I am going to Wal-Mart and will do nothing but sit in the parking lot and stare at the building.

Same thing with my comment. It TOOK a call TO RIM to get a new phone because Sprint was being a dbag about it. No where in my post did I say that RIM would send the OP a new phone or that RIM sent me one from Canada. If you must know, mine came from Carol Stream, IL. "File a warranty claim with RIM" means to do just that but most people know to call your WSP to do it and not call RIM and go "Gimmie a new phone!" Same thing when you have a warranty problem with your brand new Nissan. You don't call Nissan's corporate offices. You call your dealer.

Apparently the OP didn't and you mistook me.

Dor�navant dehors, Fran�ais seulement! (From now on out, French only!)
    Well I guess you just plain and simple solved your own problem. Stop making people think you got RIM directly give you a phone, speak in simple terms and tell people exactly what you did and not what you want them to think happened and none of this misunderstanding would have occured.

Also to end this when you have a problem with your car you call the dealer and not corporate, then why did you cann RIM(Corporate)? See what I mean and there is no need to answer my post here. We are done with the English lessons.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    09-13-11 02:25 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD