So, I like my bold 9900 on tmo. Minus a few hiccups, I love my bold. I rock this phone way day in and day out.

My only gripe about this phone is the lack of gorilla glass.

Anyone else feel that way?
    06-03-12 05:13 PM
    I wish my 9930 had it.
    06-03-12 05:16 PM
    I wish my 9930 had it.
    I know right?

I really hope gorilla glass is incorporated in successive generations of this phone...assuming there are successive models after the 99xx.
    06-03-12 05:21 PM
    Agree. Hopefully BB10 would have it. I have a 3-4 months old Lumia 800, naked from the first day no screen protector or anything. Though i'm pretty sure the 99XX's screen is pretty resistant to scratches too, as i have friends who go without screen protectors but is still without scratches. But somehow mentally i just don't feel safe mentally to leave it completely naked. A victim of marketing, hahaha.
    06-03-12 05:28 PM
    I'm sure it will.
    06-03-12 05:43 PM
    I've never had a scratch on any of my bb screens. Some people are prone to accidents and mishaps.

I have a new screen protector but haven't used it. Im always aware of where my phone is and reduce the risk of mishaps.......touch wood!
    06-03-12 06:00 PM
    The best thing you can do until BlackBerrys have Gorilla Glass is buy a Zagg screen protector. I have had them on 3 BBs, never a scratch or a crack. Lost one on the interstate while riding the Harley, case scratched but the screen was fine!
    06-03-12 06:17 PM
    If that's your only gripe, yay for you! With all the previous bricking and battery problems, I call it a win. But yes, I guess gorilla glass would be nice.
    06-03-12 06:45 PM
    I'm not complaining about the glass. My 9930 has taken some crazy falls, both with screen protectors and without. I don't have a single scratch on the device and I've had it since release.

Glass is tough enough for me.
    06-03-12 07:01 PM
    I've never had a scratch on any of my bb screens. Some people are prone to accidents and mishaps.

I have a new screen protector but haven't used it. Im always aware of where my phone is and reduce the risk of mishaps.......touch wood!
    A lot of enterprise users are pretty rough with their phones. They don't care since it's company property and not their own. So gorilla glass would help for some people.
    06-03-12 08:25 PM
    If that's your only gripe, yay for you! With all the previous bricking and battery problems, I call it a win. But yes, I guess gorilla glass would be nice.
    I know^^

I have had those problems, but most of those issues have been ironed out.
    06-03-12 08:27 PM
    Well, I can list a whole bunch of other things to OP's one item list.
    06-03-12 08:31 PM
    And what would the advantage be? You can't scratch the glass that is on it. For all you know it won't shatter like gorilla glass when dropped on edge. If you are going to assume its a disadvantage don't. Try assuming its better instead. Holy crap!
    06-03-12 08:31 PM
    I think the screen is pretty good. I'd rather take an auto-focus camera over gorilla glass.

So, I like my bold 9900 on tmo. Minus a few hiccups, I love my bold. I rock this phone way day in and day out.

My only gripe about this phone is the lack of gorilla glass.

Anyone else feel that way?
    06-03-12 09:08 PM
    Does anyone know what the screen is made out of? (I'm lazy and don't feel like looking for it ). I think the current screen does a good job
    06-03-12 09:38 PM
    Its hardened glass.
    06-03-12 11:44 PM
    'hardened glass' of some sort
    06-03-12 11:53 PM
    And what would the advantage be? You can't scratch the glass that is on it. For all you know it won't shatter like gorilla glass when dropped on edge. If you are going to assume its a disadvantage don't. Try assuming its better instead. Holy crap!
    I am not assuming. I have gorilla glass on my samsung galaxy s 2 and prefer it over the material on my 9900.

I think the screen is pretty good. I'd rather take an auto-focus camera over gorilla glass.
    Yah...you're right. But I am assuming the next iteration 9900 would have autofocus.

Gorilla glass...maybe not. Doesn't really sound like Rim is really excited about it.
    06-04-12 02:06 AM
    A lot of enterprise users are pretty rough with their phones. They don't care since it's company property and not their own. So gorilla glass would help for some people.
    Oh yeah I see your point. Some take more care of their property than others hehe
    06-04-12 05:47 AM
    You can - easily. My g/f's phone sits in her purse...and from rubbing against her keys, it is badly scratched. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself...takes a few keys and dig into the glass hard. Watch it scratch!
    06-04-12 06:27 AM
    Gorilla Glas can be rather easy scratched too, there are some interesting videos about that. Some sand in your pocket or holster which slides along the screen is enough to damage the screen. While Gorilla Glas is indeed tougher, it is not that much of an advantage as some people might think. My company Nokia is covered with Gorilla Glas and already got some minor microscratches. So even with Gorilla Glas, I'd rather use a decent screen protector.
    06-04-12 07:26 AM
    So what maybe she needed to do a better job keeping phone covered. And not putting inher purse with keys.all she needed to do was use a screen protector.takecare of phone better.
    06-04-12 07:27 AM
    I had Gorilla Glass on my thunderbolt and it didn't seem any more durable or scratch resistant than anything else.

I think it's a gimmick.
    06-04-12 07:33 AM
    So I guess the question for me would be, is "Gorilla Glass" (KOOL name) over rated or just more expensive causing the phone price to be escalated. If it's glass it scratches, some easier than others....is the "juice worth the squeeze"
    06-04-12 07:40 AM
    You can - easily. My g/f's phone sits in her purse...and from rubbing against her keys, it is badly scratched. If you don't believe me, try it for yourself...takes a few keys and dig into the glass hard. Watch it scratch!
    Yeah I keep mine in a bag with railroad spikes, haven't scratched it yet.
    06-04-12 07:41 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD