Love the phone, looks and feels great but....Texting from the home screen does not seem as easy as i thought it would be..It seems like you have to go through 3 or 4 steps to send a text..Here is what i do, someone please tell me if im doing something wrong..I put in first couple letters of name, then have to click on name, then (which is annoying) it asks me if i want to send SMS or Email to this contact..please help! otherwise love the phone, weak battery and all
    10-20-11 11:14 PM
    That's how I usually do it for people I don't talk to much.

For the people I do talk to often I add them to BBM, and added a special category for them so they're easy to get to. Also, once you open BBM you can just start typing a name, when you click on their name it instantly opens a chat with them.
    10-20-11 11:28 PM
    Are you saying you can add SMS-only contacts to BBM?
    10-20-11 11:42 PM
    just leave the conversation open from your last text or bbm .. am i missing something?
    10-20-11 11:46 PM
    Are you saying you can add SMS-only contacts to BBM?
    Yes, look at the bottom when you go to invite a contact...

just leave the conversation open from your last text or bbm .. am i missing something?
    What if it has been like a week since you've talked to them? That's a lot of scrolling and/or searching...
    10-20-11 11:51 PM
    The OP wants to start his text by typing. Kinda like universal search but linked to the SMS app. I think.
    10-20-11 11:54 PM
    The OP wants to start his text by typing. Kinda like universal search but linked to the SMS app. I think.
    thats correct, but is there an easier/quicker way?
    10-20-11 11:56 PM
    thats correct, but is there an easier/quicker way?
    I was looking. But no I think not. There might be an app. Have you looked? Like maybe CrunchSMS or whatever it is called?
    10-20-11 11:57 PM
    i havent checked, dont know much about it but i am a heavy texter and open to ideas...thanks a lot
    10-20-11 11:59 PM
    i havent checked, dont know much about it but i am a heavy texter and open to ideas...thanks a lot
    Here ya go. QuickLaunch.

NikkiSoft - makers of QuickLaunch BlackBerry Shortcuts and App Launcher

I think it lets you create menu shortcuts to do specific actions for specific contacts. Like you could hit a hot key and have a menu selection that says:

"Send SMS to Jack..."

So one key press and then a select and you are in; two actions instead of say four. But, you need to make sure it can pre-select the contact method as well. For example, even with a shortcut if the contact has say two phone numbers in their record you are probably still going to have to choose which to send to.

That type of thing. BUT... let someone else that has used it chime in here first. It's a paid app. Or you could email them. I know QL is one of the top BB apps... period.
    Last edited by southlander; 10-21-11 at 12:07 AM.
    zoisgod likes this.
    10-21-11 12:03 AM
    The way I text is like this. Click the SMS icon on my home screen, make sure the top of the page is selected with the track pad, press C and that brings up options to compose an email, sms, pin, etc. Click sms, type the persons name and off you go! It sounds like a lot, but I do it many times a day and never had any problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 12:15 AM
    ...I love QL too, but of course you can also add whichever contact you like to yr homescreen, longer and more convoluted than using QL to add that 'SMS Veronica' (or whoever...) function obviously, but then it also does give you other contact options w/in it too. Just highlight contact and then use the menu to add them to the homescreen.
    Then of course there's also other paid (and very useful / fun) apps like Iconify and MyOwnIcons as well...
    10-21-11 12:54 AM
    Thought I'd toss in that QuickLaunch also has an option to assign a SMS contact to launch with CrunchSMS, if you have it installed.
    10-21-11 01:17 AM
    Played around a bit; fastest way I can do it with what's built into the phone is this:

1. Set homescreen options "launch by typing" to Application Shortcuts.
    2. Press A to bring up contact list. Type a few letters (or scroll to) of the contact you want to text, then either click the BB/menu key, press T (or scroll to text). OR, hold down the trackpad, then select text. OR, long press on their name, then select text.

Alternatively, pressing C brings up compose - same instructions.
    10-21-11 01:38 AM
    Love the phone, looks and feels great but....Texting from the home screen does not seem as easy as i thought it would be..It seems like you have to go through 3 or 4 steps to send a text..Here is what i do, someone please tell me if im doing something wrong..I put in first couple letters of name, then have to click on name, then (which is annoying) it asks me if i want to send SMS or Email to this contact..please help! otherwise love the phone, weak battery and all
    Quicklaunch - you won't be disappointed
    10-21-11 01:44 AM
    ...I love QL too, but of course you can also add whichever contact you like to yr homescreen, longer and more convoluted than using QL to add that 'SMS Veronica' (or whoever...) function obviously, but then it also does give you other contact options w/in it too. Just highlight contact and then use the menu to add them to the homescreen.

Then of course there's also other paid (and very useful / fun) apps like Iconify and MyOwnIcons as well...

Yeah it sounds like with QL the OP could basically have a contact shortcut on the home screen that launches SMS for a specific number for that contact. So one touch/click and he's in. Right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 01:49 AM
    Yeah it sounds like with QL the OP could basically have a contact shortcut on the home screen that launches SMS for a specific number for that contact. So one touch/click and he's in. Right?

No, QuickLaunch gives you another menu that you can customize to your liking. So you would open QL (either by convenience key, icon, or application shortcut), then a menu would pop up, then either scroll or use a pre-defined shortcut to get to "SMS John"
    10-22-11 10:11 AM
    No, QuickLaunch gives you another menu that you can customize to your liking. So you would open QL (either by convenience key, icon, or application shortcut), then a menu would pop up, then either scroll or use a pre-defined shortcut to get to "SMS John"

So what if "John" has two numbers in his contact record? Can QL pre-select the one to use?

10-22-11 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD