If anyone has read my other thread, I am considering ditching my iPhone 4S for the Blackberry Bold 9930.

This morning I went to my local Verizon Wireless store to check it out. The phone looked sweet...Internet was good on it. The touch screen was responsive. I was on my way out of the store and the Verizon employee, who I believe was the sales manager goes..."You do not want that phone". I'm like I dont??? He's continues to tell me that the 9930 has a ton of problems, the software is buggy and has a ton of issues. He said a corporation bought a ton of them and returned them all. "The phone looks awesome, but it's crap. Blackberry is trying to catch up to IOS and Android, so they rushed this OS that keeps failing"

I was ready to purchase it but this worries me.

Is this the truth? Also, I see a lot of posts meaning the 9900/9930 "bricked" What the **** is that about?

Please help clarify
    11-18-11 03:58 PM
    I have the 9930 and love it. No problems at all. Yes sometimes new OS can be buggy, but if you find one that works stick with. Maybe the salesperson makes a better profit off of another phone. If you look at forums for any phone there will be issues. If Blackberry is what you want then this is a great phone. I highly recommend it.
    bhill0821 likes this.
    11-18-11 04:22 PM
    I have had the Bold 9000, Torch 9800, and now I have the Bold 9900 best phone bar none, easy to update with no problems here. Love It!!
    11-18-11 04:26 PM
    thanks for the feedback. I didn't notice what version the display model was running. When I said to him, the one there seems to be working great, he goes "yeah now"....seemed like an ahole to be honest
    11-18-11 04:27 PM
    Buggy compared to Android or iOS 5? LOL.

I've had the 9900 since August. It is the best, most productive smartphone I've ever owned. The keyboard is fabulous, and with the trackpad and touchscreen, I can do just about any task with fewer actions than with a touchscreen only.

IMHO, the battery life is poor by BlackBerry standards, but good by Android standards. Either way, I can comfortably get through the day. The EDOF camera is fast, but close up pictures are blurry. My biggest complaint is that 3rd party apps are slow in coming.
    11-18-11 04:30 PM
    My 9930 has been bug free since day one. Best BB to date IMHO, and you can see, ^ ^ ^, I've had my fair share of them...... Great phone, I love it.
    11-18-11 04:36 PM
    I was at the Verizon store shortly after they were released to check them out and they didn�t even have one on display? I was amazed they weren�t promoting them, but they sure were pushing the Androids. They didn�t have much Blackberry love, that�s for sure!

I have had the 9900 since it was released and have not had any issues. The battery for me has probably been the biggest letdown. I have since upgraded to the recent .503 and am surprised by the improvement. Before I couldn�t get through half the day with out running out of juice now I can go the whole day without charging.
    As far as build quality they will be the same quality between the 9930 and 9900. I did have the 9930 shortly through Sprint when I was deciding which carrier to stick with and didn�t have any issues with it.

Like you I had an iPhone4 and still love the phone. Just the BB focuses on what I need it to do better and is a more productive device for me. I really don�t need hundreds of apps on my device or have the time to watch movies or play games on it.
    Both are great phones and both do what they do very well. I�m not missing the full screen as much as I thought I would either.

Remember you can always return the phone if it just doesn�t work out for you?
    11-18-11 04:39 PM
    I had pretty much the same experience with Verizon when I was looking to come back to a BB. The first sales guy was very cool and even said they would give me $100 credit for my Iphone4. Half way through the switch another sales guy comes up and starts telling me how much I will hate the BB. I told him thanks for your opinion but I've had BB's in the past and always been happy. He kept bad mouthing the BB. At that point I walked out and went to T-Mo where they pretty much bent over backward to get my business. I sent an e-mail to Verizon telling them how displeased I was and never heard back from them. So far been extremely happy with T-Mo and my 9900.
    11-18-11 05:35 PM
    No matter what phone you buy there will always be people with bad experiences and their own biased opinion. It all depends on what u want out of ur phone and what works for you.

There are many people with problems with their bolds but just as many who have had no problems with theirs. I myself had no issues since I bought it. I used the stock OS .261 for a while then upgraded. My battery life was quite poor to begin with barely getting 12hrs and now @ 12hrs I still have 50%.

All in all its a sweet phone, no complaints. Good luck!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-18-11 05:45 PM
    The guy is full of **** lol I have had my 9930 since it was available online on the VZW site. And have had no kinds of problems, I have upgraded with VZW and nothing with my software has gone wrong. People who have problems come here because they don't know what else to do. If it bricks take it back, they'll give you another. The bricking thing is blown out of proportion I think

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SourBB; 11-18-11 at 06:18 PM.
    11-18-11 06:16 PM
    I have had no issues from day 1. The VZW rep even recommended my 9930 to me. I was looking at the Torch but she persuaded me to look at the 9930.

I have a bad case of OCD right now looking at these forums all day for new things to do with my 9930 and OS7.

OS7 + 9900 series is the shi*.
    11-18-11 06:20 PM
    Try the 9900 instead. A phone is only as good as the software you can put on it. If its GSM then you will have plenty of updates, if its CDMA you won't. This is assuming you have good coverage with a GSM carrier.

11-18-11 06:25 PM
    Thanks everyone..your comments help me relax.

If I went t-mobile, i'd get the 9810 instead...I love the way that phone looks....but I have a contract with Verizon and I'm grandfathered in for unlimited data...plus GSM stinks in my area, so I'm stuck with Verizon
    11-18-11 07:10 PM
    I've had my 9930 for a couple of months now... No problems. This phone is just straight up amazing.

11-18-11 07:19 PM
    I can't tell people enough how awesome this device is. When sales people tell you this stuff it is typically because they have a hidden agenda to push a specific device. I've never owned a device of any sort I thought was more perfect for me and worked so well.

If RIM keeps this up, their future is very bright.

11-18-11 07:55 PM
    I wish I could agree with all of the posts here in this forum. I've owned a few bb's and quite a few other phones also. I currently own a !old 9930. Is it a awesome phone phone by bb standards of course. The hardware is up to par with with phones in one respect. The os is has been pushed to its limits! Even with the high end hardware the os just can't perform. I wish it wasn't true but imo the future of RIM is fading fast. I know five people who own the new Bold series. My wife, me my buddies wife, him and another friend. I have done some travelling and still haven't seen a stranger sporting a new bb. BBM means nothing when no one else has it anymore. Sure bb's are a hit overseas but not in north america. QNX or BBX or whatever name they come up with for their new os still means nothing. So there's going to be a new BBX phone QTR3 of 2012 really! Ohh and its going to be all touch! So RIM has just alienated 99 percent of its customer base who prefer a full qwerty keypad. I keep scratching my head each and every day wondering what is RIM gonna come up with next. Its a shame to see what is happening ti RIM.

11-20-11 06:11 PM
    I've had the new bold for a while now and haven't had any problems with it.

11-20-11 07:19 PM
    it's true the original OS was a little buggy... just a quick update to the latest OS solves pretty much every issue.. it's a shame most people are n00bs and don't know how to do such a thing (pretty much everyone i know with a BB has no idea how to update the OS)
    11-20-11 08:08 PM
    I have a 9930 with the original .254 os and it is flawless to the point I am afraid to upgrade the os. I have no issues at all and great battery life. Funny how different the experiences are with this device on here.

11-20-11 08:15 PM
    I love the 9900, it's a good device but not perfect!
    I had the java error problem not once, but twice, and was not too happy about it! Both time I was home luckly because if I was outside I would of been without a phone until I get home and plugged it to the computer!

Sent from my 9900
    11-20-11 08:21 PM
    Love my 9930. I never wanted the 4s so I don't know what you want to use it for but I can't complain.
    11-20-11 11:09 PM
    got mine since launched date currently runing os 7.0.0.374...its been problem free for me. its a great phone if you want a keyboard, messaging, and email.
    11-20-11 11:18 PM
    For me zero issue too more than two months old ,upgrade os many times leak,official,hybrid just wanna try what's new when there is a new os ,had droped my phone 2-3 times ,my bold still rocking luv it I think os get better each update and less buggy compare to default os that come with a phone

Last edited by chanpisan; 11-21-11 at 05:17 AM.
    11-21-11 05:15 AM
    If anyone has read my other thread, I am considering ditching my iPhone 4S for the Blackberry Bold 9930.

This morning I went to my local Verizon Wireless store to check it out. The phone looked sweet...Internet was good on it. The touch screen was responsive. I was on my way out of the store and the Verizon employee, who I believe was the sales manager goes..."You do not want that phone". I'm like I dont??? He's continues to tell me that the 9930 has a ton of problems, the software is buggy and has a ton of issues. He said a corporation bought a ton of them and returned them all. "The phone looks awesome, but it's crap. Blackberry is trying to catch up to IOS and Android, so they rushed this OS that keeps failing"

I was ready to purchase it but this worries me.

Is this the truth? Also, I see a lot of posts meaning the 9900/9930 "bricked" What the **** is that about?

Please help clarify
    Hi, I sold my 4s and got the 9900, to go with my playbook. Appart from the apps of which I had but a few, I prefer the 9900.

11-21-11 06:40 AM
    Got my 9930 today, kind of disappointed to see it's Made in Mexico. It has 254 but that's an easy update. Skip that nonsense about getting a 9900 instead CDMA devices get plenty of updates
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-21-11 at 09:32 AM.
    11-21-11 09:25 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD