First off, thanks to all who answered my questions in other topics. I decided I would go to the store and pick up the BB Bold 9930.

I signed up on the last night for that BBuy promo for $50 gift card if you buy a mobile phone through them.
    They offered the device for $99.99 -$50 gift card -an additional $50 gift card I had from Citi ThankYou points = free BlackBerry.

However, I had to do an alternate upgrade and we didn't know if the $50 gift card promo would be applied to my line, and we had to process the order first to find out, so they took the $50 off prior to the purchase. It worked, and turns out I got an additional $50 off, so my Bold cost me nothing. Actually, I basically got paid $46.01 to get this phone!

Although, it has been discontinued in the retail stores, so I won't get my phone for a few days... plus they have no cases so I had to order one through Amazon.

Hope it's awesome! I currently have the iPhone, so I'm going to be giving the Bold 9930 a test run.

One last thing, if someone could help me out... I am traveling to Canada from the states in a couple weeks and I think I will take the Bold over the iPhone there (even though the 4S has a sim card slot as well...), but how do I go about getting a pre-paid SIM to put into the Bold 9930 so that way I can use some data/gps/maps while I am in Canada. Thanks! Or, I guess...will the prepaid SIM work, what carrier should I use, etc.
    Last edited by Kaenon; 02-18-12 at 06:59 PM.
    02-18-12 06:35 PM
    that's cooo...i'm still deciding if i should get the 9930 because i can upgrade next month...i wanna see what's up with MWC first.
    02-18-12 08:08 PM
    that's cooo...i'm still deciding if i should get the 9930 because i can upgrade next month...i wanna see what's up with MWC first.
    I thought about waiting, but meh... the latest and greatest will always come out soon after you buy your device no matter what.
    02-18-12 10:55 PM
    I'm in Canada here but, which carrier are you with? If I'm not mistaken, the 9930 is cdma only meaning it doesn't use a sim card?
    02-18-12 11:18 PM
    I'm in Canada here but, which carrier are you with? If I'm not mistaken, the 9930 is cdma only meaning it doesn't use a sim card?
    From Verizon's webpage:

Customers must activate pre-installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network.
    International Roaming (CDMA) is available on all Verizon Wireless devices and does not require an activated SIM Card. (Global Data Plan or Feature is suggested)
    For Outside of the U.S. Services, Rates, Coverage, and Countries by Technology please visit http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=deFsCh9Z
    02-18-12 11:25 PM
    oh cool, I didnt know that. Im sorry I dont have any real advice pertaining to your question lol.
    02-18-12 11:49 PM
    oh cool, I didnt know that. Im sorry I dont have any real advice pertaining to your question lol.
    Heh, it's okay.

Just found out how to unlock the phone as well.
    02-18-12 11:53 PM
    First off, thanks to all who answered my questions in other topics. I decided I would go to the store and pick up the BB Bold 9930.

I signed up on the last night for that BBuy promo for $50 gift card if you buy a mobile phone through them.
    They offered the device for $99.99 -$50 gift card -an additional $50 gift card I had from Citi ThankYou points = free BlackBerry.

However, I had to do an alternate upgrade and we didn't know if the $50 gift card promo would be applied to my line, and we had to process the order first to find out, so they took the $50 off prior to the purchase. It worked, and turns out I got an additional $50 off, so my Bold cost me nothing. Actually, I basically got paid $46.01 to get this phone!

Although, it has been discontinued in the retail stores, so I won't get my phone for a few days... plus they have no cases so I had to order one through Amazon.

Hope it's awesome! I currently have the iPhone, so I'm going to be giving the Bold 9930 a test run.

One last thing, if someone could help me out... I am traveling to Canada from the states in a couple weeks and I think I will take the Bold over the iPhone there (even though the 4S has a sim card slot as well...), but how do I go about getting a pre-paid SIM to put into the Bold 9930 so that way I can use some data/gps/maps while I am in Canada. Thanks! Or, I guess...will the prepaid SIM work, what carrier should I use, etc.

Alrighty, so I've had a chance to play around with the Bold 9930 this week, maybe a little too much with this week and this coming week being finals time, but...

This is my first keyboarded device since I had my first smartphone (I got the BB Storm 1 the day the Storm 2 came out for free back in 2009). Coming from the Storm, then the Droid Incredible, then iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, I LOVE the keyboard! I am hoping that the BB10 devices aren't all touchscreen because I will probably just stick with this device then!

Other things I like about the phone: customizability. I have downloaded BeBuzz, SixTools, ShortcutMe and now NFCLauncher. I know when my gf is texting me by the LED, I know when I am receiving an email from school vs. personal vs. text messages vs. calendar events.
    I have set up shortcuts with ShortcutMe to toggle GPS on and open maps with the single press of a keystroke (still working to make this one even better, by prompting me to speak where my destination will be).

Loving the remote feature on the BB 9930 to my PlayBook. I do have two 15' miniHDMI cables for the PlayBook (got two by accident, anyone wanna buy a new, packaged 15' cable?) and can control it from the couch, but now I can leave the PlayBook plugged in close to the TV and use the remote feature to easily navigate to ABC.com, FOX.com, etc. to watch TV episodes I missed (no DVR).

I have brick breaker back! Never knew I missed that game till I got this Bold.

What else, the Otterbox Commuter case is great for this phone.
    My microSD card should get to BestBuy this week (SanDisk - Mobile Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 6 Memory Card). Was $86.39 but I had that $50 g.c. from buying the BB from BestBuy and $5 reward zone credits.

Now for the negatives...

AppWorld is often sluggish and I get the timer frequently, sometimes the apps don't start downloading/installing instantaneously. Also, I may be naive, but why restart phone so frequently with app upgrades/installs???
    Battery pulls with a case on the phone suck.=
    My battery is pretty poor.

Whats with the not being able to fully charge the phone thing? 92/93% is the highest this will take without the software misreading the signal and cutting off charge.

Radio cut off at me @ 15% one day and 2% the next.

Lastly, I can't turn off the camera noise for pics. In class, if I don't feel like writing everything on the whiteboard down, I may snap a picture. Now everyone is looking when they hear "Click!"

Rating for the BB9930: 8.5/10 due to poor battery, shutter, app world lag and restarts.

Love the keyboard, customizability and the awesome features to complement my PlayBook!
    02-26-12 01:58 PM
    You can reset your phone by holding down 'alt' + 'right shift key' + 'delete'... No need to take out the case and the battery. And oh yeah, enjoy your BB..
    ltcbfan likes this.
    02-26-12 03:59 PM
    You can reset your phone by holding down 'alt' + 'right shift key' + 'delete'... No need to take out the case and the battery. And oh yeah, enjoy your BB..
    had no idea!
    02-26-12 05:00 PM
    There is an app that silences the camera. Forgot the name of it, but there was a thread about it not to long ago...
    02-26-12 08:02 PM
    Try not to let your battery run down to 15% or lower on any regular basis. It's not good for it. Also, what OS came loaded on your phone? I know since I upgraded to 7.1 my battery life has been awesome. In fact, I hardly check on it through the day anymore, and before upgrading I was obsessed doing that constantly.
    02-26-12 09:07 PM
    Try not to let your battery run down to 15% or lower on any regular basis. It's not good for it. Also, what OS came loaded on your phone? I know since I upgraded to 7.1 my battery life has been awesome. In fact, I hardly check on it through the day anymore, and before upgrading I was obsessed doing that constantly.
    When I got it, it read:
    Current version is 7.1.0 Bundle 457

Been the same since Tuesday. No updates, and I did not manually update either.

Edit:
    The first time I ran under 15% was by accident and was on day 1 when I couldn't fully charge.
    Then the next day I ran it all the way down to shut off, I try to do it as early as possible with a new battery to test some things.
    Last edited by Kaenon; 02-26-12 at 10:27 PM.
    02-26-12 10:24 PM
    I read a post from another user, how they silenced the camera by making a call ( usually to voice mail ) then switching to the camera and taking the picture. I've never tried it, but it may work.
    02-26-12 11:20 PM
    Try this link to download a program tht allows u to use the camera without the noise. It goes thru ur camera and vibrates when the pic is taken. http://eightyberry.net/A_ShootNux/SilentShootNux.jad
    02-26-12 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD