Not long ago, I bought a 9900 to replace my 9780 as my second phone. I wiped it, then installed the latest 7.1 and so far I'm very pleased with it.

However, my biggest complaint is that it corrupts my 32 Gb card whenever I insert it.
    I know this because I've removed the card then inserted it into the 9780 which prompted me to perform a repair every single time I did that. I want to use the 9900 as a music player because it's very portable and although I have a Passport, I'd be less upset if the Bold took a fall because money
    I have no other info to give you except that the Bold was an ex-BES device, I bought it from a sales agent.

I already formatted the card, but I get the same prompt when I re insert it into the 9780.
    Should I wipe the 9900 again? Or perhaps format the internal storage via PC? I'm running out of ideas and I'd really appreciate some advice!

Posted via my Black Passport
    01-28-16 04:26 PM
    it is a Sandisc by any chance? for some reason my 9780 and my 9790 never liked SanDisc micro SD cards, it caused freezing, I got the software redone twice and it all stopped when I switched from the class 10 16GB Sandisc to a class 4 Verbatim card.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-28-16 04:34 PM
    it is a Sandisc by any chance? for some reason my 9780 and my 9790 never liked SanDisc micro SD cards, it caused freezing, I got the software redone twice and it all stopped when I switched from the class 10 16GB Sandisc to a class 4 Verbatim card.

Yeah, it's a 32 Gb SanDisk Ultra, Class 10. I bought it 2 months ago and it performs great with both the 9780 and the Passport, never had an issue. The 9780 didn't even freeze once! So I'm a bit upset because the 9900 is such a beautiful phone and I can't make the switch completely because I'm afraid I might lose everything if it feels in a bad mood it's really annoying.

01-28-16 04:39 PM
    Yeah, it's a 32 Gb SanDisk

yup the Ultra with red and grey two-tone on it, thats the one I had. For the 9900 just get a different brand, and at least you know the Verbatim's work well. There are cheaper cards that will work better, some phones are weird that way.

01-30-16 01:52 AM
    yup the Ultra with red and grey two-tone on it, thats the one I had. For the 9900 just get a different brand, and at least you know the Verbatim's work well. There are cheaper cards that will work better, some phones are weird that way.

Well that sucks. I will probably order another card but this is a bummer. Thanks for your help!

01-30-16 02:48 AM
    Does the 9900 encrypt the card? Consider turning encryption off.
    01-30-16 05:06 AM
    Does the 9900 encrypt the card? Consider turning encryption off.
    I just checked again, but I have not turned on encryption. I did a security wipe, performed a format on the internal memory from the pc, did a repair of the built-in memory via the phone's native system.

I have no applications installed, save for a theme and Facebook. Also, no BIS, as this is my secondary device and I do all the important stuff on the Passport. The only thing still in place is a BES device policy, which allows me to add an enterprise only email account but I don't see a reason to remove that as I'm not using the 9900 as an email device.

For reference, the Bold 9780 (which accepts the card and doesn't corrupts it) was also an ex-BES device (coincidence) which has the same device policy as the new Bold. It's very strange.

I have 14 Gb of content on the card (currently residing in the 9780) and I will try again later in the day to see if the cleaned 9900 still acts up. Now I'm a little busy writing some documents
    Moreover, I formatted the card yesterday and put content in it; the 9780 has also undergone a security wipe and an OS reload, just in case. I will post my results later.

01-30-16 08:52 AM
    Well I tried again. Out of 1400 songs, the 9900 sees only 100 and greets me with the message "content missing or unavailable " when I try to play some of them. It doesn't see any photos or documents either so I guess that will be my last attempt.

The 9780 reads the card and scans it in under 2 minutes, no issues. Needless to say, the Passport does the same.
    I don't know if it's worth to invest in another 32 Gb card from a different brand just so I can use the 9900 for music. (I'm using 32 as a reference for the max capacity accepted by BlackBerry OS).

I guess I will be carrying the 9780 for my strolls and I will use the 9900 only as a communications device.

Who knows, maybe when I'll have enough money I'll buy a Classic and make that my music player The first thing that I'll be buying next will be a white Passport and a 64 or 128 Gb card. But that's maybe for Christmas thanks to everyone who bothered to read

01-30-16 05:44 PM