I have a huge memory leak...around .1mb after 3 days. No OS on my BB has ever leaked much more than that.

People who are using those badly written 3rd party apps just don't get it and they blame the OS and RIM, when in fact it's the developer writing the garbage can app that's responsible for the leak, not RIM.

I would also lay money on this being the OP's issue as well.
    08-20-12 09:13 PM
    I generally drop >100Mb a day, but the phone still keeps chugging along, though I usually reboot once daily. I can understand hesitation during a timer spin because of that, and experience minor lag occasionally coming out of sleep mode, but that's not what the OP is reporting.
    08-20-12 09:46 PM
    I have about 50 apps installed on my Verizon Bold 9930 and it barely uses any memory at all. I have the latest OS installed and I have no issues only praises about how long the battery lasts and how smooth it runs now. Hasn't froze at all. Memory leaks are usually due to a 3rd party app that is open using all the memory. And once the memory is used, you have to get the memory back. When data compression "isn't" on, the phone uses all the memory up real quick! So data compression needs to be on. Also memory cleaner is a nice tool. The freezing situation you have is probably something running at that time in the background. Freezing usually happens when the processor has to much to do or is confused when it doesn't have enough memory to use for what it has to do.. I would try installing the OS with no apps and see how that works..
    Last edited by Maxey05; 08-20-12 at 11:18 PM.
    08-20-12 11:15 PM
    I have about 50 apps installed on my Verizon Bold 9930 and it barely uses any memory at all. I have the latest OS installed and I have no issues only praises about how long the battery lasts and how smooth it runs now. Hasn't froze at all. Memory leaks are usually due to a 3rd party app that is open using all the memory. And once the memory is used, you have to get the memory back. When data compression "isn't" on, the phone uses all the memory up real quick! So data compression needs to be on. Also memory cleaner is a nice tool. The freezing situation you have is probably something running at that time in the background. Freezing usually happens when the processor has to much to do or is confused when it doesn't have enough memory to use for what it has to do.. I would try installing the OS with no apps and see how that works..
    Thanks for the tips, but enabling compression causes issues of it's own, memory clean doesn't accomplish much, and with zero apps installed, using the browser like I do would result in a huge loss of memory by itself.
    08-20-12 11:51 PM
    Thanks for the tips, but enabling compression causes issues of it's own, memory clean doesn't accomplish much, and with zero apps installed, using the browser like I do would result in a huge loss of memory by itself.

If you really want to save your memory, you could install the app "Memory Up" which defragments your memory and gets it back for you. So you only use up the memory that you are actually using.
    08-20-12 11:55 PM
    I've stopped rebooting every day. I just went 5 days without a reboot and was down 30mb.
    08-20-12 11:59 PM
    If you really want to save your memory, you could install the app "Memory Up" which defragments your memory and gets it back for you. So you only use up the memory that you are actually using.
    I never suggested I did, and if I wanted to experience lag, I'd install a "memory" app.
    08-21-12 12:04 AM
    I never suggested I did, and if I wanted to experience lag, I'd install a "memory" app.

I'm just trying to help.. Eventually if you are using 100MB a day, you will run out of memory and your device will freeze.. I'm a heavy BB user on my 9930 and I barely use a couple MB a day with just the basic BB memory saving tips. No third party apps. And I never have to restart. Memory always gets recycled. When data compression is off, that's when all your memory gets used up. I've had no problems with having it on..
    08-21-12 12:22 AM
    I'm just trying to help.. Eventually if you are using 100MB a day, you will run out of memory and your device will freeze.. I'm a heavy BB user on my 9930 and I barely use a couple MB a day with just the basic BB memory saving tips. No third party apps. And I never have to restart. Memory always gets recycled. When data compression is off, that's when all your memory gets used up. I've had no problems with having it on..
    I know you're trying to help.

We need be helping the OP.
    08-21-12 06:20 AM
    Exactly. Why install a "memory saving" app that probably won't even clean up enough memory to make up for itself? But did you read my post here about what OS to install?
    08-21-12 01:39 PM
    9930/7.1.0.649, just installed last night. I'd try that, but still think ultimately you'll find it's an app at the core of your issue.
    ajst222 likes this.
    08-21-12 01:58 PM
    9930/7.1.0.649, just installed last night. I'd try that, but still think ultimately you'll find it's an app at the core of your issue.
    When was that released and why what carrier? And yea I guess I will try narrowing down some apps.
    08-21-12 02:05 PM
    08-21-12 02:11 PM
    I removed Visual Voice Mail app from my phone, which helps to limit memory drain and preserve battery better. I'm still using 7.1.267 OS and the phone is more responsive and rarely show the busy clock and less freeze. If you don't believe me, give it a try!
    08-21-12 08:07 PM
    Alkir and lyricidal are the carrier, LoL!

BlackBerry OS Downloads
    Wowza haha

I removed Visual Voice Mail app from my phone, which helps to limit memory drain and preserve battery better. I'm still using 7.1.267 OS and the phone is more responsive and rarely show the busy clock and less freeze. If you don't believe me, give it a try!
    I mean I don't use VVM anyway so it wouldn't hurt to uninstall if I ever get short on memory.

I just uninstalled GolfLogix to see it that is causing the problem. That was one of the apps that I installed around the time of the problem. I hope its not that app haha
    08-21-12 09:28 PM
    Alright, so far I have uninstalled 3 apps (an app a day), GolfLogix, TinyBird, and yesterday Bubble Birds. Lets see how this goes lol.
    08-24-12 09:03 AM
    I just realized that my phone didn't freeze today!!! I guess that all the app uninstalling and reinstalling paid off. Let's hope it lasts
    08-25-12 06:36 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD