So I finally decided to grow a pair and change the Bezel on my Bold 9930. I ordered a Black Bezel from True Supplier and received it yesterday. To my surprise it was all metal, just like to stock bezel only in all black. I was a little nervous to do it since there is a lot to the dis-assembly but I just had to try it. It turned out pretty well and works with the charging pod as well.

Warning though, it is difficult to do so don't try it if your not comfortable working with the ribbon attachments as there are 3 you have to disconnect and reconnect.

Last edited by donnation; 10-25-11 at 06:16 AM.
    09-13-11 08:32 AM
    WOW, these look really nice. This looks even better than the stock one.
    09-13-11 08:33 AM
    How long did it take? What's the trick in dealing with those ribbons?
    09-13-11 08:35 AM
    It actually only took about 20 minutes. There's no trick to dealing with the ribbons, you just have to be gentle with them (especially the one connecting the LCD to the Motherboard).
    09-13-11 08:38 AM
    That's a pretty clean cut 9900, for some reason I still prefer the chrome finish but that's not bad either.
    09-13-11 08:49 AM
    I got to say it looks sharp. Good look with it. I am not trying to sound like a **** but the bare metal is better because it wont scratch. my fear with stuff like this since the color is not completely thru it will scratch.Every white bold i had the paint chipped and then looks like crap. But please dont beat me up on this. I think it looks great and wish it dosnt scratch on ya. good job
    09-13-11 09:00 AM
    Looks GOOD!!! Thanks for the idea
    09-13-11 09:02 AM
    I got to say it looks sharp. Good look with it. I am not trying to sound like a **** but the bare metal is better because it wont scratch. my fear with stuff like this since the color is not completely thru it will scratch.Every white bold i had the paint chipped and then looks like crap. But please dont beat me up on this. I think it looks great and wish it dosnt scratch on ya. good job
    No I agree, and it probably will scratch up. I just wanted to try it and see how it looked. I have always changed Bezels and modded up my phones because I like to do it. I like it black right now, but if I ever want to switch it back up its no big deal and can put the stock one back on.

Thanks for the comments guys!
    09-13-11 09:02 AM
    Looks awesome, pretty sure I might do that to mine when I get it! I loved my blacked out 8900 when I did that.
    09-14-11 03:11 PM
    Oh wow that looks good! Thats how I would have liked the phone to look. Thanks for posting!
    09-14-11 03:16 PM
    The only modded bezel that looks good, congrats.
    09-14-11 03:19 PM
    Looks great!!! Job well done..hopefully it stays in one piece!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 04:15 PM
    Wheres the diamonds and the 24K gold and the pink Pomeranian to go with it? Nossir! I dun like it!
    09-14-11 04:15 PM
    That looks awesome!
    09-14-11 04:26 PM
    Honestly looks extremely cool.. I am tempted to do it, but #1 I don't want to void my warranty, and #2 I have a Black softshell case on it anyways, so I would have to never have a case on my Bold 9930 to get full satisfaction of my mod.

Just a side note, will someone post a video/picture process of doing this mod? A few other people have done it, and I would never do it unless I was following a video or step by step. I'm sure many others would appreciate it too. (If you ever decide to switch it back or even change the color to idk.. red? :P Hey.. that would actually be kinda cool... maybe! haha)
    09-14-11 04:37 PM
    Wheres the diamonds and the 24K gold and the pink Pomeranian to go with it? Nossir! I dun like it!
    Thanks Dad, you are very wise.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-14-11 at 06:03 PM.
    09-14-11 05:50 PM
    It looks good and TY for the info and pics of your work, Well done and also thank you for throwing in the disclaimer about how difficult is was so nobody does it, breaks it and gets P*** at you!..

Well done.
    09-14-11 05:54 PM
    nice - question for you. Does the baseplate (part you take off below the keyboard to expose the screws) snap in, or is it lightly glued in place?

I've scratched up my bezel (it's really easy to do on the smooth buffed portion of the bezel... annoying) and also have slightly lifting home row keys... did you buy/use any special tools to take this one apart? I've done it for the 9000 multiple times, but not quite as well built and small as the 9900.

How closely does the aftermarket bezel fit in comparison? Any slight tolerance differences?
    09-14-11 07:21 PM
    nice - question for you. Does the baseplate (part you take off below the keyboard to expose the screws) snap in, or is it lightly glued in place?

I've scratched up my bezel (it's really easy to do on the smooth buffed portion of the bezel... annoying) and also have slightly lifting home row keys... did you buy/use any special tools to take this one apart? I've done it for the 9000 multiple times, but not quite as well built and small as the 9900.

How closely does the aftermarket bezel fit in comparison? Any slight tolerance differences?
    There are no differences between this bezel and the OEM one. It appears to me that these are actually OEM bezels painted black because they are exactly the same. The buttons are the same, and the charging contacts are identical for using with the charging pod. The baseplate is simply glued on. The only tools you need are a T5 torx screwdriver and a sharp object to gently pry up the baseplate below the keypad and the keypad itself.

Directfix has a great video of the teardown and the rebuilding on YouTube. They forget to reconnect one of the ribbons at the end, but other than that it is a great guide to doing this mod. I hope this helps.
    chorner likes this.
    09-14-11 09:22 PM
    Looks sick. I was going to order a black one as well but I like the contrast of the bezel. Now if I had a white one, the black bezel would be sick
    09-14-11 09:42 PM
    Nice bezel!
    09-14-11 10:14 PM
    Sweet look, I like it.
    09-14-11 10:23 PM
    Like it.

As someone has said, this is how RIM should have made the device IMO
    09-15-11 04:19 AM
    The 9930 is my lastest blackberry, I had the 9780 before and I managed to change the chrome to black but I can't find where to find the black metal bezel. Where can I order one??????
    09-19-11 02:24 PM
    Now that is sharp! I don't think I am brave enough to change mine.
    09-19-11 09:13 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD