I only turn on the 4G when I need 2 browse a site and can't stand slow download speeds. I don't care if its fake 4G. As long as its faster than 3G, I'm fine with it. I don't wanna hear any WiMax or LTE comments, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 02:42 PM
    I would but i tether too much with my Playbook and surf the net too much to keep switching back and forth. My battery lasts me all day which is all I need. I dont need to try and go into the next day. I charge every night
    09-03-11 03:38 PM
    I only turn on the 4G when I need 2 browse a site and can't stand slow download speeds. I don't care if its fake 4G. As long as its faster than 3G, I'm fine with it. I don't wanna hear any WiMax or LTE comments, thanks!

You want to hearLTE comments about as much as I want to read about your 2g use.
    09-03-11 03:56 PM
    LTE Rocks My Socks!
    09-03-11 04:09 PM
    i dont have my 9900 yet, therefore i cant comment on battery life, but i'd never switch to 2G... i use messenger apps all the time, bbm, im, fb, twitter and lots of other stuff, then we all browse the internet from time to time, emails, got our apps for rss and all that stuff, etc.
    it would be really painful to use 2G

im currently considering switching carriers, from o2 to tmobile, just because o2 doesnt offer HSPA+ over here yet .. : (
    09-03-11 04:13 PM
    i dont have my 9900 yet, therefore i cant comment on battery life, but i'd never switch to 2G... i use messenger apps all the time, bbm, im, fb, twitter and lots of other stuff, then we all browse the internet from time to time, emails, got our apps for rss and all that stuff, etc.

im currently considering switching carriers, from o2 to tmobile, just because o2 doesnt offer HSPA+ over here yet .. : (
    Of all the things you listed, the only thing 3G would really help with is browsing.

09-03-11 04:20 PM
    hmn?
    i mean... 3G/HSPA+ is way faster than 2G

doesnt it also make a difference with how fast the fb app actually does what you ask it to do?
    how long it takes for an email to be sent
    chatting via bbm/im+ and all that stuff

of course its also thanks to the better processor on the 9900, more ram and all that, but H+ (14,4mbps) should be faster than normal 3G (7,2mbps) for all kinds of stuff
    same goes for 3G vs 2G

or am i being completely stupid?
    explain O.o
    09-03-11 04:24 PM
    Is it really that bad for you guys? I have been using my Bold for 2 weeks now I think the battery life is just fine. I have LED notifications (bebuzz), wifi going on and use it constantly through out the day and it gets me through the day just fine. I bought a spate just in case but I have yet to use it.
    09-03-11 04:31 PM
    It isn't as bad as i'm making it seem, but it doesn't last as long as my Bold 9780 and it surely doesn't last anywhere near my Bold 9700 did. The battery life is nowhere near as horrific as ANDROID devices. That OS is a battery HOG!

I wish the battery was bigger and the camera had auto focus. I only need 4G when browsing the web. I don't think 2G effects any of the apps, FB, Twitter, or BBM the way it was mentioned earlier. Maybe might effect it when sending a file. I can leave it on 4G, but i'll have to charge it just as im about to leave work where prior models didn't require that.
    09-03-11 10:42 PM
    Of all the things you listed, the only thing 3G would really help with is browsing.

Masahiro, Are you missing the 9800 screen at all? Are you all set and satisfied with the 9900 screen. Looks like you are set with your new machine!
    09-03-11 10:46 PM
    Stfu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-03-11 10:48 PM
    hmn?
    i mean... 3G/HSPA+ is way faster than 2G

doesnt it also make a difference with how fast the fb app actually does what you ask it to do?
    how long it takes for an email to be sent
    chatting via bbm/im+ and all that stuff

of course its also thanks to the better processor on the 9900, more ram and all that, but H+ (14,4mbps) should be faster than normal 3G (7,2mbps) for all kinds of stuff
    same goes for 3G vs 2G

or am i being completely stupid?
    explain O.o
    When it comes to sending messages or e-mails, it's extremely minor. The average IM or text is only a couple KBs or so. Using a connection that tops out at 14.4MBPS is a little overkill for that kind of transaction. As for Facebook, HSPA helps for browsing photos. That's about it. Oh yes, and HSPA allows you to use the browser and other data applications while you're using the phone.

From my experience, there really is no difference between 2G and 3G in terms of speed, except when it comes to browsing, like I previously mentioned. That's assuming you're browsing whole websites, and not mobile versions (where the difference is less profound). Oh yes, and I should also mention downloading apps, but that's rare for me.

data77, I can safely say that I did not miss the screen size of the 9800 at all when I swapped it out for the 9900. Besides, I prefer the landscape screen. Admittedly, I was in sheer awe of the 9900 keyboard, and because I had to send my 9800 in for repairs, I didn't have a chance to compare them side-by-side.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 09-04-11 at 01:00 AM.
    09-04-11 12:10 AM
    Wrong. Any data moving OTA will be faster in 3G and again even faster in H+. Get a clue before you post things you know nothing about, or keep your baseless comments to yourself.
    09-04-11 07:23 AM

The 9900 is actually quite fast on 2G, only downloads are slow. Emails, bbms come in just as fast.

09-04-11 07:34 AM
    Wrong. Any data moving OTA will be faster in 3G and again even faster in H+. Get a clue before you post things you know nothing about, or keep your baseless comments to yourself.
    Only when you're talking lots of data, 1-2kb for a bbm it makes absolutely no difference 2G or 3G

Edit- also you have to realize that 3G/4G only helps from device to cell tower, the rest of the way it goes trough the carrier.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-04-11 at 08:26 AM.
    09-04-11 07:39 AM
    Around my area I am usual on 2G due to battery life to the point where it has became the norm with the slow data speed and all.

Occasionally I would sit in a cafe and steal some wifi to do casual web browsing and sometimes I'd switch my data to 3G if I know there is a tower near by.

I don't have a 9900 just yet, but paying top dollar is becoming more and more tempting as I wait.
    09-04-11 10:03 AM
    This is quite ironic, coming from someone on Bell (which doesn't have EDGE). Seriously, is this a joke? No one is saying HSPA isn't faster (although that sometimes depends on coverage). We're saying that when it comes to tasks other than browsing, downloading apps, or anything that requires larger data packets, the increased speed is not noticeable.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 09-04-11 at 10:51 AM.
    satanberry likes this.
    09-04-11 10:47 AM
    This is quite ironic, coming from someone on Bell (which doesn't have EDGE). Seriously, is this a joke? No one is saying HSPA isn't faster (although that sometimes depends on coverage). We're saying that when it comes to tasks other than browsing, downloading apps, or anything that requires larger data packets, the increased speed is not noticeable.
    Exactly. Technically, 4G is faster, but practically, it does not improve smaller bit file transfer enough to notice.
    09-04-11 11:15 AM
    I love this comment. Bell & Telus don't even have the option to switch to EDGE. I've used a 9000 & 9650 exclusively on EDGE and didn't miss anything unless I'm trying to download music or stream youtube. But we're almost in 2012, using a 9900 on EDGE seems like buying a Ferrari just to drive 50 km/h.
    09-04-11 01:49 PM
    Most people who buy a Ferrari do end up driving the legal speed limit. Haha.

09-04-11 02:20 PM
    Anyways, 2G it is unless i need 2 surf the web.
    09-05-11 11:07 PM
    Most people who buy a Ferrari do end up driving the legal speed limit. Haha.

Actually slower because they're too old lol.

09-06-11 02:18 AM
    Anyways, 2G it is unless i need 2 surf the web.
    Actually unless you surf full websites, you'll be surprised how quikly you can surf mobile sites on 2G. I'm in a country with mostly 2G outside the bigger towns and I know not by choice.

It's actually surprising how bad the iphone is on 2G now days as the first iphone edge was very fast as far as I can remember.

09-06-11 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD