Hey guys.. So I've been reading the crackberry forums from way over here in Singapore and am literally drooling at this new device.

To cut the long story short, my 8900 was giving me problems today and I went to get it replaced. The tech lady told me that they would try to reboot my bb with another OS to see if it works (My bb was a little crazy, keyboard working sporadically, etc). In the meantime, I'd have to sit tight and wait.

While doing that, I casually asked if she knew when the new line of blackberries would be out in Singapore. She asked, "Which one? You mean this?" and whipped out a bold touch (Evaluation Unit). I was in such awe that my anger for having to repair my bb totally extinguished.

In any case, I played with the device the whole time she was trying to revive my 8900 and this is what I felt..

"Liquid Graphics"
    The touchscreen of the 9900 is responsive. I would say it beats every other device in the market hands down except the Iphone 4.. IMHO, it's about the same standard as the Iphone or maybe just a teeny weeny bit worse off. Much better than other touchscreen phones out there (Samsung, Android, etc). It's hard to describe how smooth it was but think of it this way, flicking the screen was really addictive and fun!

OS 7 Interface UI
    Am currently on OS 4 on my old school 8900 which I didn't bother upgrading so everything was new to me. Comparing it with OS 6 on blackberries my friends have, it's not much different. In fact, I don't think they did much at all with the overall UI.. either that or I didn't notice it.

Keyboard
    The keyboard is a lil more clicky then I would have wanted it, but this is a personal opinion of mine. That being said, typing on it is effortless and for those of you folks who can't do without a good keyboard, this baby will not disappoint you.

Screen-Size
    The 2.8inch screen didn't bother me one bit. In fact, I realised that most of the time, I ended up using the trackpad for selecting icons like BBM, txt msges, etc. There were a few occasions when I was surfing the net that I found it difficult to click on the smaller links, but other than that, you don't really feel as if there's not enough space on the phone to flick you finger around.

Physical Device
    The device feels solid, like a real phone should. After holding the 9900, my 8900 feels like a damn toy. The stainless steel-ish (Not sure what material) material around the phone makes it look classy and stylish. Only complaint I have is that the battery door cover is just gay. I really think RIM could have done a better job with a leather cover to complete the sexy look. Whats more, the battery door isn't a "slide-out" but more of a "click-in" if you know what I mean, which somehow gives me the feeling might spoil easily..

THE Browser
    Left this for last because I'm pretty sure many of you out there are wondering if it matches up with the Iphone. I used the browser on the local 3G network the tech lady was on. To me, the browser was at godlike speed (Probably because my 8900, well, can't really surf the net efficiently without pissing me off). However, I did get some rendering issues with it on certain image heavy websites but nothing that was significant enough for me to be concerned about.. I believe all these issues will be resolved once OS 7 is ironed out by RIM (Hopefully). I didn't manage to do a web browser shootout because I don't own an Iphone and neither did the tech lady have any on hand. However, as an iphone user before, she mentioned that the Iphone 4 still loads web pages faster than the 9900 although the difference in time won't really bug the end-user that much.. I kinda agree with her cause to me, it was as good as the iphone.

Personally, I felt the device was really cool and I'm sure as **** gonna get it to replace my 8900. I took a photo but have no idea how to post it as this is my first time posting on CB. In any case, it's just one photo of the 9900 as I was kind of embarrassed to keep hogging the device especially since it was an evaluation unit..

Just thought I'd post this up to pay back all the crackberry reviewers who have given me so much info and help with Blackberry.

Hope this helps to calm your loins before you get your hands on one!

PS, for those of you in Singapore, tech lady told me it's likely to be out in Aug or Sep, although Sep is more likely. Yes, I'm feeling miserable about the long wait too. But well, Suck Thumb Lah~
    tliolos, Guatiao, jwang217 and 7 others like this.
    07-01-11 12:41 PM
    I can't wait for this phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-11 01:29 PM
    wish i didnt hear about the bold months before BB world.. made the wait even loooooooooonger
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    07-01-11 01:37 PM
    wish i didnt hear about the bold months before BB world.. made the wait even loooooooooonger
    Same i wanted this phone since the first leak of this year. January 24th i think -_-
    07-01-11 02:42 PM
    I was also in Singapore and had a chance to mess around with the Bold 9900 during the Asia Communication Event couple weeks back
    07-03-11 11:59 AM
    nice. to upload a picture just upload it to a photo sharing service.. add [ IMG] url here [/ IMG] and you'll be fine (take away the spaces between the IMG.

By the way, I have five 9900 in my bathroom admiring each other.
    07-03-11 08:12 PM
    Hey, where you find the evaluation unit. Funan? :S
    07-04-11 03:19 AM
    Hello Noobg

Did you find out if the phone has a Software KB or not ? In case yes, does it have metalanguages ?

Thanks
    07-04-11 08:20 AM
    Nice post except what do you mean by the battery door being gay?

I know what you meant and it isn't nice to refer to inanimate or anything as being gay.
    07-04-11 09:49 AM
    Hello Noobg

Did you find out if the phone has a Software KB or not ? In case yes, does it have metalanguages ?

Thanks
    I doubt there is a software KB on that small of a screen but I may be wrong.
    07-04-11 09:50 AM
    nice. to upload a picture just upload it to a photo sharing service.. add [ IMG] url here [/ IMG] and you'll be fine (take away the spaces between the IMG.
    thanks! too lazy to do it. the photo is really nth compared to those that are alr online. Better off not showing you in case you try to grab it off your screen. Hah.

Hey, where you find the evaluation unit. Funan? :S
    I went to the repair centre at Leng Kee.. Asked the tech lady about the release date and she showed it to me. Really lucky. Gonna go back there again cause my 8900 is still faulty. wishing for another go at it!!

Did you find out if the phone has a Software KB or not ? In case yes, does it have metalanguages
    Sorry, I'm not really a tech person. what's that? Maybe if you let me know by today or tmr I can go down and check it out on wed when i send my 8900 in for repairs (Hopefully she'll be kind enough to let me see it again)

Nice post except what do you mean by the battery door being gay?

I know what you meant and it isn't nice to refer to inanimate or anything as being gay.
    When i meant gay I sorta am trying to express the fact that the whole device looks really good except for the battery door. It DOESNT make a person who's carrying it gay per se, but well, just imagine a hatch-back Black Ferrari. No offense to the homosexuals out there. Your lifestyle choice. =)
    07-04-11 10:56 AM
    Don't worry about it. I've heard gay people call gay stuff gay.
    07-04-11 11:06 AM
    When i meant gay I sorta am trying to express the fact that the whole device looks really good except for the battery door. It DOESNT make a person who's carrying it gay per se, but well, just imagine a hatch-back Black Ferrari. No offense to the homosexuals out there. Your lifestyle choice. =)
    Edited for content: I agree whatever someone else does as long as it doesn't harm anyone else is fine with me. I have nothing against them so I don't call things or describe things as gay as it is usually used as a put down.
    07-04-11 11:07 AM
    Don't worry about it. I've heard gay people call gay stuff gay.
    That's true but I've also heard black people call each other (no disrespect to black people at all, just making a point) niggar or use the word. But just be of a different color and see what response you will get.
    07-04-11 11:09 AM
    To Noobg

[QUOTE
    Sorry, I'm not really a tech person. what's that? Maybe if you let me know by today or tmr I can go down and check it out on wed when i send my 8900 in for repairs (Hopefully she'll be kind enough to let me see it again)
    [/QUOTE]

A software keyboard is a virtual KB that all the touch phones have. It is a KB on the screen that you touch it to write.
    I suspect if it is there, it will show only in the landscape mode.

Thanks again for your offer. really appreciate it.
    07-04-11 11:13 AM
    Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread. But I think the phone is going to be a great improvement for RIM.
    07-04-11 11:14 AM
    That's true but I've also heard black people call each other (no disrespect to black people at all, just making a point) niggar or use the word. But just be of a different color and see what response you will get.
    After 30 years in business I'm winding down. My last remaining employee is a 65 yr old black dude. After 20+ years we fight like an old married couple, so we obviously have a bit of rapport. It's lol funny how he has to keep checking himself so as not to say N166ER in front of me. They carry that thing like a nuclear weapon to launch at any non-black who should happen to use it. It's some kind of revenge/grudge thing that will never go away.
    07-04-11 01:14 PM
    Hi all, went down to send in my still faulty 8900 today and found out from the person serving me (who has a test unit as well) that the 9900 won't be out in September at the earliest in Singapore.. Totally bullcrap if you ask me, but hey, what else can we do.
    07-05-11 11:33 AM
    Hi all, went down to send in my still faulty 8900 today and found out from the person serving me (who has a test unit as well) that the 9900 won't be out in September at the earliest in Singapore.. Totally bullcrap if you ask me, but hey, what else can we do.
    Won't be out in Sept in Singapore, Meaning Its later then that?
    Just saw other sites saying it might be out in Aug for the UK :/
    07-07-11 01:09 AM
    My bad, what I meant was the dude told be it'll be out in Singapore earliest September. He even went ahead to highlight the word EARLIEST.

I saw the reports too.. I really hope it's a worldwide release, although I'm pretty sure it won't be. One can only hope...
    07-07-11 11:00 AM
    Wah :/ i been waiting for this phone way too long. Mid aug would be perfect.
    07-07-11 11:24 PM
    now would be perfect really !
    my good for nothing torch died on me way to fast, and im making do with my prehistoric curve 8520 in the hope of buying the bold as soon as it is out.

every day is a challenge to not go pick up an iphone or the bold 9780.
    07-08-11 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD