Was helping my friend move and we were taking a couch up 3 flights of stairs outdoors. I had my phone in the stock holster with no case and it got caught on railing at the top of the stairs, popped off the belt clip and fell to the concrete pavement. I was definitely expecting a scattered screen or something but when I got to the bottom and took it out of the holster it was fine! If it were any other phone I'm sure it would've had a shattered screen for sure. I'm still in awe of how it survived such a high fall especially since it was just in the stock holster.
    06-20-12 08:40 AM
    That is good to hear. Back when I had my 8330, the day after I got my OtterBox Defender I dropped it from a ladder 3 stories up. That was the day I became a believer in a case. I haven't yet put my 9930 and Defender to a test like that though. But it has had a couple unintentional drops and throws here and there.
    06-20-12 09:03 AM
    I've had mine take a 14ft drop without a case. The only damage was the dent it put in the hardwood floor. The other day I saw a contractor beating on the keys of his 9900 with a large spoon. Asked was was wrong and he said he dropped it in a batch of cement and he was getting the cement off the keys after it had dried. He too, had no problems with the device.
    wolfee48 and troshs like this.
    06-20-12 09:09 AM
    Wow! Great stories.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-20-12 09:23 AM
    It still amazes me how durable BlackBerry devices are compared to other brands. I like hearing about the "countless" amount of times that a BlackBerry device has survived a mishap .
    06-20-12 09:26 AM
    Cool story OP,

I would have thought it would have broken into at least a few peaces. I use the original holster too so that's good to know

Hehe Starchit @ banging cement out his keyboard
    06-20-12 09:33 AM
    Thanks for posting this here. I also dropped mine on hard floor. Nothing happen to the phone, but now I use Defender case. I sell my phones after 3 years, so I want to keep it as close to mint condition as possible. I am sure 9900 can survive even without a case.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    06-20-12 09:34 AM
    I've been extra careful, in fear that the screen with shatter easily, but I'm convinced that these devices stand up to quite a lot. My cousin in a drunken mess punched the face of his phone, which didn't shatter the screen, it just more or less dented the phone - and it was still operational.

It almost makes me wish the Curve line didn't exist at all. A lot of flack that RIM receives over BlackBerry devices are from Joe Consumer who has a POS Curve that breaks easy - especially the 9300!
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-20-12 09:52 AM
    Mine has fallen onto concrete tile with no damage apart from a small scratch on the silver bezel. I normally use the Commuter case, but the silicone part was drying after I washed it.

It's a good thing that the phone was in its holster when it fell. I get the feeling it wouldn't have survived as well if it had been out of the holster, considering how much it must have hit against the steps and rails on the way down.

JB
    06-20-12 10:12 AM
    I have seen many pictures of broken iphones and droids and even have a friend whose droid got smashed beyond repair and I think those phones are made fragile on purpose. Namely iphone. Why else would they make both the front and the back of the phone out of glass? I see no good reason to make the back cover out of glass, other than to make it slippery and fragile, so you will break it. And everytime I see or hear of one of those phones breaking, it makes me so glad I have a 9900! Not to mention I don't find a phone that is just all screen and nothing else attractive. They all look the same.
    06-20-12 10:38 AM
    I have seen many pictures of broken iphones and droids and even have a friend whose droid got smashed beyond repair and I think those phones are made fragile on purpose. Namely iphone. Why else would they make both the front and the back of the phone out of glass? I see no good reason to make the back cover out of glass, other than to make it slippery and fragile, so you will break it. And everytime I see or hear of one of those phones breaking, it makes me so glad I have a 9900! Not to mention I don't find a phone that is just all screen and nothing else attractive. They all look the same.
    Shhhh....don't say that. You might be labeled a Fanboi for daring to question Apple's awesomeness in all aspects

So said the phophet steve to all his Applites that flood the social boards,
    smite thee non believers who would dare question the simplistic divine perfection that is whatever I create,
    For anything else is thusly not from I and is therefore blasphemously uncool and unworthy,
    Forever be our reign and legacy....amen.

Last edited by Houshinto; 06-20-12 at 10:50 AM.
    06-20-12 10:45 AM
    ^Ah, the morning prayers to apple ...
    06-20-12 11:00 AM
    BlackBerries are TANKS, I'm convinced! Even when I had my 8900, it worked flawlessly after being dropped numerous (all by accident) times. Small hairline scratches here and there, but no significant damage at all! That thing still works like a charm!
    06-20-12 01:02 PM
    My old Evo was in a otterbox case & I dropped it from my schools auditorium roof back in high school
    We were putting up some kind of weather pole for our science class to record weather patters throughout the year.

Glad to say the case protected it & my screen wasn't shattered.
    So I don't think its entirely fair to say that other phones would break.

But I do agree that Blackberry is a very durable line of phones. ^_^

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-20-12 01:27 PM
    I've been extra careful, in fear that the screen with shatter easily, but I'm convinced that these devices stand up to quite a lot. My cousin in a drunken mess punched the face of his phone, which didn't shatter the screen, it just more or less dented the phone - and it was still operational.

It almost makes me wish the Curve line didn't exist at all. A lot of flack that RIM receives over BlackBerry devices are from Joe Consumer who has a POS Curve that breaks easy - especially the 9300!
    Completely agree!!!
    06-20-12 05:01 PM
    Completely agree!!!
    Now these are the kind of experiences I expect to hear in this forum.
    I just got my Bold 9900 and while not planning any 3 story drops, I do hope it can withstand the work of the day.
    I won't cleaning cement out of it either!

Thanks to all of you.
    06-20-12 07:25 PM
    I love the cement story. That guy is really working his phone. He's not afraid to use it, to pick it up with dirty hands, to get maximum use out of it. His 9900 is his workhorse.
    06-20-12 07:28 PM
    I love the cement story. That guy is really working his phone. He's not afraid to use it, to pick it up with dirty hands, to get maximum use out of it. His 9900 is his workhorse.
    just how bbs are supposed to be used... there's a video on youtube of a guy's 9810 ran over by a car with a shattered screen and it still worked flawlessly
    06-20-12 10:32 PM
    I dropped my 9930 the other night too. The phone was in the oem holster but I had it in my front pants pocket, and when I went to take it out I dropped it on the ceramic tile floor. No damage at all!
    06-20-12 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD