Hey guys,

I got my BlackBerry 9900 yesterday in the mail from Rogers and immediately switched over from the 9700.

Before I continue, I'm a huge fan of Blackberry and I've been using a BlackBerry since 2000 (BlackBerry 950) and have gone through all the latest models at they progressed throughout the years.

Yesterday after switching over, I really enjoyed it or the novelty of having a new blackberry. Was impressed with the new screen and speed of the 9900, but after playing around with it for a while, I started to notice things that I really didn't like about it or how different it really is from the 9700...

1. The OS (OS7) I found to be pretty buggy or just lacked certain things. For example App World isn't working properly, adding email addresses from the phone directly isn't working properly...

2. Upset to see that all the old Blackberry noises (eg. Classic Ringer, Default BBM alert noise, email alerts) we're not there anymore and have been replaced with new sounds - not a big deal

3. My pictures are organized in folders and sub-folders. The folders work, but sub-folders all open up when you get into them. For example. If I have picture folders called. Family, Sports, and Vacation the folders are listed properly. But if I had sub folders under Sports let's say, and they were called, Hockey, Golf and Baseball, if I opened up the Sports folder, I'd see all the pictures from all the sub-folders as opposed to seeing 3 folders (Hockey, Golf and Baseball) which I should have the option to go into either one of them.

4. Although it's thin, the size of the phone is big. It's hard to go from a nice small size of a 9700 to a 9900. I understand that the screen is bigger and keyboard is bigger, but still.

5. Something annoying. When you get multiple BBM notifications, the BBM notification icon doesn't display how many different people BBMed you. Where as on the 9700, if 5 people BBMed you, you'd see the #5 next to the notification.

6. The touch screen is really cool, although can sometimes get in the way and be hit by accident. Should have a feature to lock the touch screen if possible.

7. One less convenience key now ... Why? I don't know ...

8. The speaker of the phone is location at the bottom on the backside of the phone which I personally think is a horrible placement because you tend to block it with your fingers if holding the phone in your hand thus causing a muffled or muted sound if tried playing an mp3. On the 9700, the speak was located at the top of the back side of the phone not being interfered while holding the phone ... Not too mention that the 9900's speaker sounds a little weaker than the 9700...

9.Camera's auto-focus is gone.

Anyway, that's what I noticed for now unless I forgot something else and have decided to go back to my 9700 OS5 for the time being ... I'm sorry if it's not positive review you all want to hear, just being honest!

Dov
    cenloe, FASHER, Nickerz and 11 others like this.
    08-16-11 09:27 AM
    Hey guys,

1. The OS (OS7) I found to be pretty buggy or just lacked certain things. For example App World isn't working properly, adding email addresses from the phone directly isn't working properly...

Remember how OS 6 when it first came out? Hidden BBM Cursor, disappearing cursor while browsing, bad battery life, etc.

Give it sometime, it will get better.

For all that matters, from what I read about some comments from other users. OS 7 even though it is still early, is having a much better start and less bugs than OS 6

2. Upset to see that all the old Blackberry noises (eg. Classic Ringer, Default BBM alert noise, email alerts) we're not there anymore and have been replaced with new sounds - not a big deal
    From your BlackBerry, visit OS 5 Ringtones

Download it and you will have your OS 5 ringtones back.

Enjoy your phone
    twigg likes this.
    08-16-11 09:32 AM
    Thank you for your review.
    08-16-11 09:34 AM
    Dude, not one thing is you said is true, I don't have any of those issues. Get ur phone replaced

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ibigberries and jadkamal like this.
    08-16-11 09:35 AM
    I can't imagine going back to my 9800 let alone the 9700.. those things seem pretty minor too,, nothing major enough to downgrade imo. but to each their own.
    08-16-11 09:38 AM
    i like the speaker @ the bottom.. when you're holding it your hand will be "cupping" the back helping resonate the speaker toward you.. i don't know how you hold the phone if you're fingers are blocking the speaker... i do agree with 1 & 9 though (my carrier email won't work)
    Last edited by rayzian; 08-16-11 at 09:52 AM.
    08-16-11 09:38 AM
    Dude, not one thing is you said is true, I don't have any of those issues. Get ur phone replaced

^^+1.
    OP,
    Nothing what you said has happened with me. Overall its a solid device and has none of the bugs you said it has, except for the AF. The lack of AF camera was non before its an EDOF camera. Read about it.
    I think you might have chosen the Switch Devices option and backed up your third party apps.
    This corrupts the OS 7 for some reason.
    Wipe your device, upgrade to .296 from VodafoneDE, and sign in to your BBID on the phone before transferring personal info and apps.
    FASHER and glassofpinot like this.
    08-16-11 09:40 AM

4. Although it's thin, the size of the phone is big. It's hard to go from a nice small size of a 9700 to a 9900. I understand that the screen is bigger and keyboard is bigger, but still.
    Complaining about the size of the phone shows you did little if any research before you got it. Why upgrade?
    08-16-11 09:40 AM
    5. Something annoying. When you get multiple BBM notifications, the BBM notification icon doesn't display how many different people BBMed you. Where as on the 9700, if 5 people BBMed you, you'd see the #5 next to the notification.
    Maybe upgrade to one of the newer OS7 builds? I'm on 7.0.0.261 and not having this issue.
    08-16-11 09:42 AM
    Could you please explain what 'adding e-mail addressses from the phone isn't working proplerly' means? Thanks Dov

Yeah, I always get annoyed at the sounds they include, so I make my own, and they all came over with me when I switched devices. You can download all the classic ringer styles from cb.com

3. My pictures are organized in folders and sub-folders. The folders work, but sub-folders all open up when you get into them. For example. If I have picture folders called. Family, Sports, and Vacation the folders are listed properly. But if I had sub folders under Sports let's say, and they were called, Hockey, Golf and Baseball, if I opened up the Sports folder, I'd see all the pictures from all the sub-folders as opposed to seeing 3 folders (Hockey, Golf and Baseball) which I should have the option to go into either one of them.
    Not sure I follow, all my folders and subs are visible with the 9900, in fact the visual style for me hasn't seemed to have changed from my 9780 to this one, at least from the photos stand point.

Yeah, a few have been disappointed with the larger size than their last handsets. Can't do much about that.

I get the number of BBM notifications that I have no checked yet. If 16 people msg me, then I will have 16 notifications. (Read bbm icon with the number 16 next to it)

6. The touch screen is really cool, although can sometimes get in the way and be hit by accident. Should have a feature to lock the touch screen if possible.
    How so? Locking the touchscreen is not an option, if the touchscreen bothers you, I suggest a non touchscreen unit.

Pretty sure that there are 3rd party apps that can turn every button on your unit to a convenience key. I can see how instead of the normal two, one would be a letdown.

8. The speaker of the phone is location at the bottom on the backside of the phone which I personally think is a horrible placement because you tend to block it with your fingers if holding the phone in your hand thus causing a muffled or muted sound if tried playing an mp3. On the 9700, the speak was located at the top of the back side of the phone not being interfered while holding the phone ... Not too mention that the 9900's speaker sounds a little weaker than the 9700...
    Do not agree at all. The speaker is placed where it needs to be (imo) and the call quality of the 9900 is excellent.

Yep, EDoF camera all the way. Works for some, hated by others....LoL

Anyway, that's what I noticed for now unless I forgot something else and have decided to go back to my 9700 OS5 for the time being ... I'm sorry if it's not positive review you all want to hear, just being honest!

Dov
    Just one thing, if you want to do a small review of a phone, please include your experiences with it making an actual phone call. One last thing, are you selling it?

Last edited by Oniberry; 08-16-11 at 09:45 AM. Reason: petty!?!? oh Pretty...
    FASHER, kevinnugent and deltabox like this.
    08-16-11 09:44 AM
    I'm waiting.....for the delivery truck.

Sorry you don't like yours.
    sg8330 likes this.
    is the auto focus that big of a deal?
    Sounds like the issues with email are because dovaleh didn't migrate his device via bis properly. I haven't had any of the issues he's mentioning.

08-16-11 09:47 AM
    I have followed a similar pattern but only started with the 9000 so since then I have had a 9700 and a 9800. I have now been using my 9900 and ahave encountered far fewer problems and bugs than you list. Partially because I loved the size of the 9000 I am pleased withe larger keys and keyboard. The sounds never bothered me one way or another.

The ONLY down side I am seeing is the battery life. In my experience is it is slightly worse than the 9800 whoch was already less than 2/3 of the 9700. Obviously, this is not a scoentific report and is considering my load of apps, area, usage habits, etc. Despite numerous adjustments and precautions, when I travel, one battery does not get me close to through the day.
    Complaining about the size of the phone shows you did little if any research before you got it. Why upgrade?
    I'm not claiming that I did any research before I got it. I'm giving my review after I got it and had a chance to use it first hand.
    Far away pics are ok. But if you want to take a close up pic for example, you see a table, article, or any text at work. Or if you want to show a friend, insurance company, a little damage on your car for example, then it would be a problem

But if in your daily life, you do not have such a requirement to take close ups it wouldn't be a problem

If you do however must have good, sharp and crisp close up pics. You have the option to go for the 9810 (Torch 2) or 9860 (all touch BB) which both have AF.
    I'll vouch that there definitely is bugs. I switched devices on DM from my old Tour 9630 to my new 9900. Immediately my Appworld stopped working and I lost BBM even though on DM it says it was still installed on the phone. After an hour on the phone with tech support and security wiping my device, the only advice I got was "wait for an OS update."
    08-16-11 09:49 AM
    Well if AF is a big deal, then I suggest buying this instead of a phone:
    Attachment 91573
    Nogrentain and scottae316 like this.
    08-16-11 09:51 AM
    All new OS' that come out has bugs.. member when 5.0 was first released.. had tons of bugs!! but i haven't had any issue u mentioned.. emails added no problem through the phone's setup .. app world is working perfectly.. downloaded all my apps already (10 apps downloading at the same time)

Link posted above to go get the originals

i don't use this so can't say if it works or not

the phone size is PERFECT.. it's even PERFECT for my wife who has smaller hands.. when i got back to my 9700 for work i can't type anymore! if u had all the BB u shoulda had the 9000, which was good in itself when it came to keyboard.. now it's even better!!

hmm i get the number beside the icon.. i had up to 6..

it takes getting used to .. the torch was the same for me with accidentally hitting the touch screen.. but since then i am used to not touching the screen so the 9900 wasn't a problem getting used to.

i don't care for them plus the torch had one as well, so i;m used to it.

yah i agree speaker location was odd, cause when it's in the holster it gets muffled and muted.. the speaker quality is actually better then my 9700.. less distortion at level 10.

agreed... but still decent

i think u just need to give it more then a week to get used to it.. the 9700 is slow and sluggish and after using my 9900 for a week i hate using my 9700 for work...
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 08-16-11 at 09:55 AM.
    I'll vouch that there definitely is bugs. I switched devices on DM from my old Tour 9630 to my new 9900. Immediately my Appworld stopped working and I lost BBM even though on DM it says it was still installed on the phone. After an hour on the phone with tech support and security wiping my device, the only advice I got was "wait for an OS update."
    You ported over all 3rd party apps(Yeah, some of them will not work).

What OS are you running? I haven't had any issues with app world (knock on wood).

What type of errors? Can you be more specific?
    swith device wizard usually works. but moving from one OS to a new one, makes sense to start fresh imo.

you're saying after security wiping it you still couldn't get Appworld and BBM to work?

we should probably differentiate between real OS bugs (that affect everyone no matter what) and particular issues that particular users have faced. I've had NO issues at all so far.
    08-16-11 09:54 AM
    It's a huge deal. Deal breaker in fact
    08-16-11 09:54 AM
    i would think twice after reading it...
    by the way, where did your set made from?
    Hungary, Canada or Mexico ??
    08-16-11 09:56 AM
    I knew some apps wouldn't work due to compatability and I didn't care. When I load app world, I can get in. I can view apps as well. However, whenever I go to "My World" or actually click on download, appworld immediately freezes and goes into "please wait" with the circular loading animation. My appworld has been in that state since last night. I'm on .261 and I hear that loading .291 fixes the error but I'm not a tech guru and don't want to brick my phone before Telus releases it. Appworld isn't make or break for me and I can load apps through the online loader.
    08-16-11 09:56 AM
    I'm not trying to knock this phone at all .. Again, Big Fan of Blackberry ... I just think the OS is very buggy for the time being ... Just giving my honest *opinion*

Quick question, What's the latest OS7 version and where can it be downloaded from?
    08-16-11 09:57 AM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD