I must share this to all 9900 users whose beloved 9900 has bricked. After reading so many threads about blank 9900 screen and blinking red light, I found one thing in common: phone's battery was low and the it was on a charger over night. The next thing you know a dead 9900 with blinking red light was found. If this is what happened to you, you might want to try this before sending it in to RIM for RMA. If it worked for me, it might work for you!

Before my phone revived 2 minutes ago, I have tried apploader.exe, Jl_cmder wipe, and DM 6.1 and of course, many battery pulls (less than 30 times).

I will discuss all the problems I encountered and how it finally worked out.

apploader.exe (not working with me): deleted vendor log, then ran apploader, and I got a fetal error message.

Jl_cmder (not working either): tried to wipe the device first with a clean start, no luck! In fact, I don't think a wipe is necessary.

So to revive your 9900, here is what you HAVE TO DO.

Step 1: uninstall and then reinstall DM
    Step 2: uninstall all 9900 OS you have installed
    Step 2: find a leaked version of 7.0.0.540 (this is a MUST) and install it
    Step 3: Start DM with your phone connected to your pc and the battery in (if the red light is still blinking, no worry)
    Step 4: Now a message should pop up saying a new version of OS is found and ask you for update. Clicked "update now". (The OS found should be 7.0.0.540, if not, then repeat step 1 and 2 or find another leaked 540.)
    Step 5: The usual installing process should have started and the light should not blink anymore. 5 minutes or so later, you will find your keypad light up and the phone is revived.

Make sure OS 7.0.0.540 is detected. Some reported that they stuck at "reconnecting to JVM" during the OS installation and could not finish. I did get stuck at reconnecting to JVM but i guess I was using the wrong OS. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by steveng01; 12-25-11 at 11:27 AM.
    Hgouck and CDM76 like this.
    12-25-11 08:50 AM
    It's another Festivus miracle!

Seriously, congrats on the revival and thanks for sharing.
    12-25-11 09:57 AM
    thanks mate..
    but i would love to hear some news on this from RIM.
    official method....
    Merry Christmas..
    12-25-11 10:05 AM
    Good to hear your bricked 9900 is baclkk to life, I hope it works for others
    12-25-11 10:35 AM
    Happy for you.
    I hope RIM makes an official method. Like installing 7.1?
    12-25-11 10:40 AM
    I never thought my 9900 would brick on me until this morning...
    I bought my phone on Negri and I don't live in the states, so it would be a pain in the xxx to get a replacement. I think before hearing any good news from RIM, who knows when, 7.0.0.540 is the best bet for any bricked 9900.
    12-25-11 10:49 AM
    Just like the OP, my 9900 bricked and .540 was able to revive it. I was on the leaked 7.1 and yes my battery went very low the night before and then I put it overnight to charge.
    12-25-11 11:16 AM
    Has everybodies 9900/30's bricked on an overnight charge after being critically low?
    12-25-11 11:32 AM
    Mine has. I got my replacement 9900 but passed it to the gf. Using a 9810 for myself. Im a bit tempted to go back to the sexy 9900 but the gf doesnt like the sliders.
    12-25-11 11:48 AM
    My issue is that my bb9900 is not only not coming on but when plugged to the charger it shows a battery with an 'x' on it. tried replacing the battery but same problem occurred. Is this a 'bric' issue????
    mookieson likes this.
    12-25-11 11:50 AM
    Try this:

1.Open up Desktop Software.
    2. Take out the battery from your BB and plug in the unit via USB cable to your PC.
    3. Let your PC recognize the device and then Desktop Software will ask to: Retry | Update | Cancel
    4. Click on Update.
    5. Let it download and install the software.
    6. It will say on a the install progress window : " Waiting for Initialization"
    7. Pop in your battery and let the install process to complete.
    8. Device will reboot and install is finished.

**** This process will delete all info from your device *****
    12-25-11 12:01 PM
    My issue is that my bb9900 is not only not coming on but when plugged to the charger it shows a battery with an 'x' on it. tried replacing the battery but same problem occurred. Is this a 'bric' issue????
    I left my battery in the phone at all time, no need to pull it out
    12-25-11 12:15 PM
    Thanks, will try and see if it works. Fingers crossed
    12-25-11 12:30 PM
    mine bricked, i fixed it using .503, and then bricked again

for the ppl who recovered the 9900, did the problem come back?

btw: I DLed newer OS for my phone (yes I went to the file and installed it)

apploader doesnt see a compatible OS for my phone. What gives?
    Last edited by kellyweng88; 12-25-11 at 02:18 PM.
    12-25-11 01:04 PM
    Try this:

1.Open up Desktop Software.
    2. Take out the battery from your BB and plug in the unit via USB cable to your PC.
    3. Let your PC recognize the device and then Desktop Software will ask to: Retry | Update | Cancel
    4. Click on Update.
    5. Let it download and install the software.
    6. It will say on a the install progress window : " Waiting for Initialization"
    7. Pop in your battery and let the install process to complete.
    8. Device will reboot and install is finished.

**** This process will delete all info from your device *****
    Well i got as far as reconnecting to JVM. It could never reconnect. I'm not going to deal with this , tomorrow I will be at the At&t store for a replacement.

This just makes me want to switch to an Iphone or Android. But I will hold on a little longer, I guess at least two more years because of my contract.
    kellyweng88 likes this.
    12-25-11 09:15 PM
    Well i got as far as reconnecting to JVM. It could never reconnect. I'm not going to deal with this , tomorrow I will be at the At&t store for a replacement.

This just makes me want to switch to an Iphone or Android. But I will hold on a little longer, I guess at least two more years because of my contract.
    When you get to reconnecting to JVM, try pulling the battery and putting it back in. This worked for me, it basically "tricks" the phone and Loader into working.
    12-25-11 09:17 PM
    When you get to reconnecting to JVM, try pulling the battery and putting it back in. This worked for me, it basically "tricks" the phone and Loader into working.
    Nope, Still would not work. Thanks anyway.
    12-25-11 09:38 PM
    My White Bold 9900 become alive!!!

Initially, the battery was depleted and charged using wall charger but bold refused to boot up. Only red light and then blank screen. Then a a battery icon and lightning icon in the middle of the screen and gone...

Tried USB, loader.exe, etc all failed. Thought was a dead battery and was thinking RIM WTH!! It is only my 2nd day of usage and the 1st full usage of the battery from 100% till 0%.

Solution
    This how it works>>> leave it on the wall charger, charge for a few minutes, then disconnect the charger mirco-usb and connect again, wait for a few minutes, your bold 9900 would wake up from it slumber!!

Btw, i'm using OS7.0.0.585.

Hope it helps!!
    Last edited by gendut07; 12-25-11 at 10:05 PM.
    12-25-11 10:02 PM
    No, mine hasn't yet. Bought it Dec 15th. I have never used the charger they give you in the box. I use my Torch charger.
    12-25-11 10:33 PM
    I must share this to all 9900 users whose beloved 9900 has bricked. After reading so many threads about blank 9900 screen and blinking red light, I found one thing in common: phone's battery was low and the it was on a charger over night. The next thing you know a dead 9900 with blinking red light was found. If this is what happened to you, you might want to try this before sending it in to RIM for RMA. If it worked for me, it might work for you!

Before my phone revived 2 minutes ago, I have tried apploader.exe, Jl_cmder wipe, and DM 6.1 and of course, many battery pulls (less than 30 times).

I will discuss all the problems I encountered and how it finally worked out.

apploader.exe (not working with me): deleted vendor log, then ran apploader, and I got a fetal error message.

Jl_cmder (not working either): tried to wipe the device first with a clean start, no luck! In fact, I don't think a wipe is necessary.

So to revive your 9900, here is what you HAVE TO DO.

Step 1: uninstall and then reinstall DM
    Step 2: uninstall all 9900 OS you have installed
    Step 2: find a leaked version of 7.0.0.540 (this is a MUST) and install it
    Step 3: Start DM with your phone connected to your pc and the battery in (if the red light is still blinking, no worry)
    Step 4: Now a message should pop up saying a new version of OS is found and ask you for update. Clicked "update now". (The OS found should be 7.0.0.540, if not, then repeat step 1 and 2 or find another leaked 540.)
    Step 5: The usual installing process should have started and the light should not blink anymore. 5 minutes or so later, you will find your keypad light up and the phone is revived.

Make sure OS 7.0.0.540 is detected. Some reported that they stuck at "reconnecting to JVM" during the OS installation and could not finish. I did get stuck at reconnecting to JVM but i guess I was using the wrong OS. Hopefully this helps.
    It gets stuck at JVM....now what?
    kellyweng88 likes this.
    12-25-11 10:37 PM

hey, do you know what the policy for at&t is? i've had my bold for a little over a month now, would they still give me a replacement phone? how long is the warranty for?

thanks
    12-25-11 10:48 PM
    hey, do you know what the policy for at&t is? i've had my bold for a little over a month now, would they still give me a replacement phone? how long is the warranty for?

thanks
    It says on the back of your receipt 90 days.
    12-26-11 08:24 PM
    My White Bold 9900 become alive!!!

Initially, the battery was depleted and charged using wall charger but bold refused to boot up. Only red light and then blank screen. Then a a battery icon and lightning icon in the middle of the screen and gone...

Tried USB, loader.exe, etc all failed. Thought was a dead battery and was thinking RIM WTH!! It is only my 2nd day of usage and the 1st full usage of the battery from 100% till 0%.

Solution
    This how it works>>> leave it on the wall charger, charge for a few minutes, then disconnect the charger mirco-usb and connect again, wait for a few minutes, your bold 9900 would wake up from it slumber!!

Btw, i'm using OS7.0.0.585.

Hope it helps!!
    That doesn't help and it's BAD info. Your phone had a dead battery because someone didn't charge it - or killed the battery. All you did was charge it up. You might want to think before shooting your mouth off - sounding all proud of absolutely nothing. That's a dead battery, not a bricked phone...
    Last edited by FBA; 12-26-11 at 08:32 PM.
    12-26-11 08:29 PM
    I've verified that I have the leaked .540
    I can select it in the procedure
    I am completely unable to bypass stuck at reconnecting to JVM method. Cycling batt in/out doesn't help.

Oh well., lol. Rogers, send me my replacement Pronto!!!
    01-14-12 02:21 PM
    Nice to hear!
    Even though mine's still going strong after a couple months, it's great to hear people can enjoy their 9900 again :-)
    01-14-12 02:56 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD