1. Pilchard's Avatar
    I am trying to help a friend with two contact lists on his 9900 and I have spent all day trying to no avail. Please help me before I pull out what little hair I have left. I have searched the forums and found a couple of threads but they don't address the issue.

    He has two contact lists but only wants one. He has 1500 contacts in a list which has the title of someone else's email address and this email address is NOT set up on his Blackberry. When he had a 9000 he used the USB cable to charge it on that person's laptop and somehow (he's even less techie than me) that person's email address became the title for his contact list with his 1500 contacts in it. The problem with this is that the sent from address is this friend's email address rather than his own. His other contact list is his old work email address with 50 contacts in it. He isn't too worried if he loses these but it would be good not to.

    What he wants is ONE contact list with all of his contacts in it, and he really wants it to be a contact list for his new personal domain that I set up for him on Gmail. Let me tell you what I have tried and hopefully someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

    I backed up his 9900 using desktop manager for starters so at least I knew I could undo any damage I did. I then security wiped his old 9000 and tried to follow the instructions on the Blackberry forums in this thread:

    KB19704-How to merge Desktop or Unknown contact list databases on the BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

    I managed step 1 which was : "Restore the backup files to a cleared smartphone running BlackBerry Device Software 4.5 or above."

    but I could not follow step 2: "Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software and configure the synchronization to complete a ONE WAY import of the contacts to a .pst or .nsf file."

    It wasn't at all apparent what I had to do to achieve this. I would be grateful if someone could walk me through the exact mouse clicks I need to make for this.

    Having failed in this regard I used my initiative (always a dangerous thing) and figured I would let Gmail do the work. So I tried to sync his contacts up to Gmail but it didn't sync them, even after I installed Google Sync. My logic was that if I could get all the contacts up to Gmail then I could wipe the 9900 and sync them down again onto the wiped 9900 (am I right in thinking it works like that?)

    Can some one please help me to help my buddy. He just wants all his contacts on one contact list, and he wants this one list to be his personal domain which is hosted on Gmail (Google Apps).
    02-01-12 10:37 AM
  2. mssca's Avatar
    I have email hosted by Gmail too. My sanuja.net email calender started duplicating each entry along with contacts by Google App for Sync. I connected the phone to the DM and deleted the Contacts and Calender completly and restore using a good back up. However I found OS 7.1 leaked version has NO opption to delete just the entire calender so I had to delete it manually.

    I posted this issue with Google sync here before. The only solution is to load it from a good back up that has no duplicates. But if your friend do not have that, I think he is in big trouble.

    I am sorry to say this, Google sucks on Blackberry sync. Their domain mail hosting is great, buy sync is stupid.
    02-01-12 11:19 AM
  3. mssca's Avatar
    One more thing, I had no issues with google before. Right after I updated my OS to OS 7.1 it screw things up. It happened when I had BB 9700 and when I updated from OS 5 to OS 6.

    The fix the issues I had to spent hours on my domain control at Google. I gave up on sync for now because I have no time to fix these issues.

    The way I fix it on my old 9700:
    -delete the entire calender/contacts on Google including any backups.
    -delete the entire contacts/calender from BB
    -reload the data from a BB back up OR re type everything one by one on the BB side and sync to Google to update on Google side.
    02-01-12 11:24 AM
  4. Pilchard's Avatar
    One more thing, I had no issues with google before. Right after I updated my OS to OS 7.1 it screw things up. It happened when I had BB 9700 and when I updated from OS 5 to OS 6.

    The fix the issues I had to spent hours on my domain control at Google. I gave up on sync for now because I have no time to fix these issues.

    The way I fix it on my old 9700:
    -delete the entire calender/contacts on Google including any backups.
    -delete the entire contacts/calender from BB
    -reload the data from a BB back up OR re type everything one by one on the BB side and sync to Google to update on Google side.
    I only just set him up on Google today so Google isn't the issue.
    02-01-12 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD