Hi there.

Just yesterday, I remember the hotspot was working. Every time I turned it on, there were three criteria to fill in. The APN, Username and Password. Since I deleted a few applications in Application Management, I come to turn on my hotspot and all it comes up with is two criteria. One for username and one for password. When I type in the correct details, it still does not turn on, stating:
    "Cannot start Mobile Hotspot due to a temporary network problem. Please try again later."
    I reinstalled the two applications I deleted earlier which were DOD Root Certificates and Plans Application. Still didn't work. I tried reactivating the Host Routing Table. Still nothing. I am on Vodafone UK. There is no way I can access an option to change my APN to see if it is correct or not. The only way I know is to access it via the Mobile Hotspot options and to get into it, I need to successfully switch on the mobile hotspot. Has anyone else had this problem on Vodafone?

Thanks.
    12-08-11 11:02 PM
    I know this is a dumb question to ask, but may be Vodafone change their APN?
    12-08-11 11:08 PM
    Maybe they have, but even if I knew they did, I have no way of altering it as there isn't an option to. If all else fails, I'll reinstall OS 7.1. I need it for Saturday as I'm out with someone and we need internet access on both our notebooks.
    12-08-11 11:11 PM
    strange, i think your best bet would be to reinstall it though
    12-08-11 11:17 PM
    I think I will have to. DM doesn't have an option to reinstall the same OS twice though. How will I do so?

Thanks.
    12-08-11 11:21 PM
    I am on Vodafone and have the same symptoms with the two boxes instead of the three and the same network problem error. I don't think that its anything to do with your install and un-install activity.

Speaking to tech support today so will update you when I get an answer. It may, apparently, be something that has been disabled on my account during a Vodafone system update) their end - not user side.

Steve
    12-14-11 12:55 PM
    I thought it may have been Vodafone too. So would these settings be correct in the TCP IP section?

APN: internet
    User name: web
    Password: webs

I have not yet asked my friend with his iPhone 4 to try out his mobile hotspot feature, but I am visiting Bluewater shopping centre today and inquire about it too.

Thanks.
    12-14-11 06:55 PM
    mine worked then suddenly for a few days it did not work. then a few days later ti came back. no idea what i did. maybe the same will happen for u lol
    12-14-11 11:11 PM
    If you want to do a clean install of the OS, just use BBSak to wipe the device and install through loader or use command prompt to wipe the phone and install all through the loader.
    12-14-11 11:42 PM
    Try downgrading your wireless radio to 2G, then turn on hotspot, then upgrade your wireless radio to H+/3G again.
    12-15-11 07:07 AM
    I am on Vodafone and have the same symptoms with the two boxes instead of the three and the same network problem error. I don't think that its anything to do with your install and un-install activity.

Speaking to tech support today so will update you when I get an answer. It may, apparently, be something that has been disabled on my account during a Vodafone system update) their end - not user side.

Steve
    Hi steve, did you manage to get a response from vodafone? I'm in the same boat. Thanks
    12-15-11 09:04 AM
    Changing down to 2G didn't work either. I got help from a Vodafone technician and he just said it's probably Vodafone themselves, although he thought it was more chance that the OS wasn't allowing it to. I have done a fresh reinstall of OS 7.1 but I still get the same problem. He said just keep waiting and keep trying.
    12-19-11 08:51 PM
    Same here Joel. Mobile hotspot worked for a week or so on 7.1 then a few days ago it was gone.

I too now only have the 2 boxes instead of the original 3, and nothing I've tried works.

I believe Vodafone have recently blocked this feature, and we probably won't see it working again until they release their own official 7.1
    12-19-11 09:17 PM
    So would these settings be correct in the TCP IP section?

APN: internet
    User name: web
    Password: webs
    No, the Password is web not webs... but it doesn't work anyway
    12-19-11 09:20 PM
    Same here Joel. Mobile hotspot worked for a week or so on 7.1 then a few days ago it was gone.

I too now only have the 2 boxes instead of the original 3, and nothing I've tried works.

I believe Vodafone have recently blocked this feature, and we probably won't see it working again until they release their own official 7.1
    Even though vodafone denied disabling anything to stop the mobile hotspot from working (I asked them on the vodafone eForum) I still believe they have. Apparently they are currently testing a .2xx build so hopefully we'll get an official release soon.
    axleberry likes this.
    12-20-11 10:53 AM
    Even if they did disable it, I can't see why they would. It had better come out of my data allowance instead of paying extra on top of my contract�
    12-20-11 02:33 PM
    just updated to 7.1 and am experiencing the same issues as above. nice to know im not alone.
    12-22-11 12:59 PM
    its rim att tmobile dead too
    12-26-11 05:12 PM
    this is gay i need the hot spot option i have att and have the it working for just over a month and then bam its gone when i try to start it it says activation required to use the feature contact your wireless service provider and subscribe to a mobile hotspot data plan. why after a month of me using this is this now showing up
    12-26-11 06:42 PM
    I'm on Bell. I'm typing this using my Mac through my 9900 Mobile hotspot. I doubt it's a RIM issue.
    12-26-11 08:40 PM
    Can someone with Vodafone UK with a 1GB or more data plan/mobile internet allowance confirm whether Mobile Hotspot still works please? I read on another post that the carrier Rogers has disabled the Mobile Hotspot for users that have less than 1GB data allowance so I was wandering if Vodafone UK have adopted a similar stance. FYI I have a 500MB data allowance in my price plan.

Thanks.
    01-05-12 07:07 AM
    it seems that the carriers want additional profit for the mobile hotspot functionality. That is why I am wary of the 7.1 OS, especially the official one.

I have been on .590 for two weeks now. The battery life is acceptable and gets me through the day - at least 12 hours of moderate use, calls, bbm, tons of email, some texts, some browsing, and FB, despite the sudden drop of battery charge from 100%-92% within the first hour.

However, what I love about this OS is the added functionality that I can tether to my laptop using DS. This was not possible with .540.

I won't need 7.1 if i can tether without any extra charges. I hope TMO will not require me to add a tethering plan for this.
    01-05-12 09:09 AM
    Can someone with Vodafone UK with a 1GB or more data plan/mobile internet allowance confirm whether Mobile Hotspot still works please? I read on another post that the carrier Rogers has disabled the Mobile Hotspot for users that have less than 1GB data allowance so I was wandering if Vodafone UK have adopted a similar stance. FYI I have a 500MB data allowance in my price plan.

Thanks.
    Rogers is a Canadian carrier and will have different rules then Voda.

Just a note: rogers and fido now allow tethering and hotspot on dataplans 500MB and up now.
    01-05-12 09:35 AM
    Any news on the Vodafone hotspot issue? Just installed 7.1 release on my 9810 but it doesn't ask for anything(APN, username etc), goes straight on the hotspot window to set up password. Obviously, the few times I tried it, hotspot didn't work
    01-11-12 05:48 PM
    Any news on the Vodafone hotspot issue? Just installed 7.1 release on my 9810 but it doesn't ask for anything(APN, username etc), goes straight on the hotspot window to set up password. Obviously, the few times I tried it, hotspot didn't work
    No issue with Vodafone UK on 7.1.0.190

Hotspot works fine, and no APN settings are needed.
    vbnmu likes this.
    01-11-12 05:51 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD