Hey guys, im sort of confused. Dont get me wrong, i love mobile hotspot & it works great. But it sort of doesnt make sense to me because in order to use it, youll have to always be connected to some wi-fi connection? For example i wanted to use my laptop today & connect it to my BB 9900 using mobile hotspot, but for some reason today my cable/internet home provider is down. So whats the point of using hotspot if you always have to be connected to wi-fi? What if theres no wi-fi around to be connected to? outta luck? I always thought you can just use your cell phone carriers signal for hotspot? This would be great when your on the road, but i guess not.
    10-22-12 07:40 PM
    WiFi Hotspot doesn't depend on having your BlackBerry connected to your "cable/internet home provider".

It's connected to your cell phone data plan.

And you don't "have to be connected to wifi".
    10-22-12 08:53 PM

And you don't "have to be connected to wifi".
    I know it uses my data plan, im aware of that. Can you explain how this works?
    10-22-12 10:03 PM
    Found this, should explain how it works.

Mobile Wi-Fi hotspots: Your questions, answered | here's the thing
    10-22-12 10:34 PM
    Take a look at this. Setting up Mobile Hotspot on BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

The WiFi radio on your device needs to be on. (That's what creates the WiFi Hotspot from your device.) But you do not need to be connected to an external WiFi access point. (That would defeat the purpose of the mobile WiFi Hotspot you are creating with your device.)

Your carrier needs to support WiFi Hotspot/tethering on your account.
    10-23-12 05:55 AM
    Usually you can't be connected to a network in order for you hotspot to broadcast it's signal.
    10-23-12 11:43 AM
    I just watched the video & Ok so that theres no confusion anymore, correct me if im wrong... To use mobile hotspot the wi-fi radio must be ON but doesnt have to connected to a wi-fi tower/router/etc? Perfect example if i was on the road with my laptop & BlackBerry.
    10-24-12 03:39 PM
    ^ yes, exactly
    10-24-12 04:51 PM
    Now we just need to find a way to use the mobile hotspot without being charged from At&t other than switching to Sprint.
    10-24-12 07:38 PM
    Now we just need to find a way to use the mobile hotspot without being charged from At&t other than switching to Sprint.
    Oh thats a whole other thread.
    10-24-12 10:51 PM
    Free mobile hotspot? That would be a great idea! Im pretty sure someone knows how to bypass it & having to pay monthly for it...
    10-25-12 01:54 AM

To the best of my knowledge Sprint charges an extra 15 or 20 dollars a month for mobile hotspot, right?
    10-25-12 03:13 AM
    To the best of my knowledge Sprint charges an extra 15 or 20 dollars a month for mobile hotspot, right?
    Its included with plans.
    10-25-12 07:59 AM