Hi folks,

I got a 9930 20 days ago. For the first two weeks, it was fine. However, the past week it's been acting a bit weird. I have a squeaky track pad (in fact, it's really squeaky if I push just to the south and west of the trackpad, and I can almost feel it give way at that part of the keyboard, but pushing the trackpad itself causes squeaking too). The trackpad also seems super touch sensitive, where I'm able to move the cursor around without even touching the trackpad (if I just put my finger slightly over the trackpad, it'll move). I don't remember it doing this when I started - it's really affecting the browsing experience, because I'll be touching the screen and accidentally swipe my finger over the trackpad.

In any event, I spoke with a Verizon rep, and even though I'm outside my 14 day period, they said they would make an exception and send me a new one if I wanted to go that route. However, the guy said the normal policy after 14 days is to send a warranty replacement device (which isn't new). That kind of made me mad because I just bought the phone two weeks ago! But he also said that since my account is new, and they'd already be doing me a favor, it would put a "blemish" on my account if I called up with any new problems and tried to convince them to send another new device. That I can understand - I only opened the account last month.

So, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding. Should I:

1) Get the replacement device (new), and hope the squeaking and bad browsing experience goes away. I've read online that others are having this issue. If I get lucky, this'll fix the issue, but it will put a blemish on my record with Verizon and I won't be able to get another "favor" anytime soon.

2) Wait and use this phone for a few more weeks. If I'm still having a problem with the squeakyness, do a warranty replacement. At that point, I won't be able to get the new device (since it'll be 2 months after, not just 20 days).

Thoughts? Are others having these issues?
    10-17-11 03:19 AM
    ive had warranty replacement devices before and didnt have an issue with them. its generally accepted that refurbs are usually of high quality and go through a higher QC than the new ones. dont forget, the refurbs also carry a warranty. i was 6-7 months into my 9800 when i had to replace it over and over due to defects. so you will be able to still get a decent refurb device months down the line if you choose to wait. but keep in mind, a little squeekiness is expected. my 9780 and 9700 used to squeek a little.
    10-17-11 03:25 AM
    OK, thanks for your help. So sounds like it wouldn't be worth pushing verizon's buttons and getting the new one for just a little squeakyness and a jumpy trackpad?
    10-17-11 03:34 AM
    OK, thanks for your help. So sounds like it wouldn't be worth pushing verizon's buttons and getting the new one for just a little squeakyness and a jumpy trackpad?
    squeekiness, i wouldnt personally. but i had hardware issues with the 9800's trackpad a few time where it squeeked and sent the arrow all over the screen. it was a definite hardware issue. if you think it may get worse, do it. just for being a little squeeky, might not wanna worry about it yet. you will have a one years warranty on it. so its up to you.
    10-17-11 03:39 AM
    squeekiness, i wouldnt personally. but i had hardware issues with the 9800's trackpad a few time where it squeeked and sent the arrow all over the screen. it was a definite hardware issue. if you think it may get worse, do it. just for being a little squeeky, might not wanna worry about it yet. you will have a one years warranty on it. so its up to you.
    Well that's the problem. The squeakyness didn't bother me, but now more recently, the trackpad seems more jumpy lately, especially when using the browser. Like, I'll think I'm scrolling around with the trackpad and all of a sudden something is clicked on. I think it has to do with the fact that the trackpad picks up my finger without me even touching it.

So if I did decide to move forward, the question is: would I want Verizon to send me a new one, or would I want to go the warranty replacement route? If the latter, I guess I can wait a bit
    10-17-11 03:49 AM
    this u will have to ask yourself. is it worth the gamble?

place you squeak bet, and you could win a perfect unit, or countless defected units.

from what i see, there are indeed alot of unlucky ones who has been getting defects after defects.

i say, use it as it is. when it is no longer bearable, then:
    1) go the warranty route; or
    2) break it and claim for a new one (if its covered by insurance)
    10-17-11 04:00 AM
    True. Good thoughts. Thanks!
    10-17-11 04:19 AM
    The squeakiness is abnormal.

The cursor moving if your finger hovers over the trackpad may be solved if you reduce the sensitivity of the trackpad. This has happened on all my trackpad devices. It's an optical trackpad so I just reduce the sensitivity and it resolves the situation.

Might try that.

On refurbs - I drove over my 9800 and they sent a refurb. It was perfect. There wasn't a problem with it. And I only stopped using it when I got the 9810. Some refurbs have had no issues, they may be simply be a user changing his mind and returning the device.
    10-17-11 04:34 AM
    I accidently spilled beer on my Curve 8330 (had the bottle of beer wedged in between sofa cushions and got up and my Curve fell out of my pocket the same time the beer spilled on the couch) and it fried my Curve, I got a refribushed Curve 8330 (told Sprint that "condinsation" from boiling Spaghetti in my kitchen w/my Curve 8330 on the kitchen counter caused the problem) and it worked just fine. I actually sold it w/accessories and the original box right after I upgraded to the Bold 9930 for $50.00.
    10-17-11 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD