Plenty of buzz about the new 9900/9930. I've been chiming in here and there when others ask about how the device is and what one thinks of it. I've had this device since launch and that means I've had it for almost a month. I wanted to give an overview of my thoughts on the device and maybe help some people out with concerns about the device.

Hardware:
    So what do I think about the physical phone itself? Well when I first pulled the device out of the box I thought "Wow that's light" and not in a good way. After putting the battery in I still thought it was far too light. I came from the original droid, -phone 4, to the 9930. So weight wise this device is so light I was concerned it would crush under my grip. The device is also very much has a plastic feel in comparison to other phones. The steel band even feels off. It just doesn't have that high end feel that was claimed of the device and it feels cheaper than I'd like.

The touchscreen is fine. Again though compared to other devices that use better glass and higher quality screens it feels cheap. However, it is very clear and easy to read small text and in my opinion rivals many out there for clearity. Which is very good since I use my phone for texting, emailing, and crackberry. It is also very responsive to scrolling, selecting, pinch to zoom, and I could go on. In all honesty I find this screen more responsive than it's competition.

Now the keyboard is just. . .awesome. I've been using touchscreen keyboards for the past four years. Even though the next device I used was always better than the last it just never got to the point where I was as fast or as accurate with a physical keyboard. I would shy away from e-mails with my other devices. My 9930 is a joy to type on. The keys a large enough for my large fingers to use with ease. I've had no double press problems or anything of the sort. It's just an amazing keyboard. I'm even writing this review with my 9930 because I'm that impressed with the keyboard.

Software:
    OS7 is very dull looking. There isn't anything flashy or outstanding about it. But, that's why I like it. It's not trying to be more than it is. Navigation through the OS is no different from previous BlackBerry devices I've played with. With all the OS does I'm rather impressed with it. E-mails, text, facebook, etc are all intergrated well into the device. Unlike other OS's everything for me "Just works". This pretty much summerizes my experience with this OS. Which is saying a lot since other OS's boast having great social integration and I find RIMs take on it to be the most effective and simple to use.

Media:
    This is not the devices strong point. I love listening to music. So much so that I like to eliminate having a separate device and use my phone for this purpose. Now while the tracks I've put on my device sound perfectly fine it's the player itself that disappoints me. Coming from an Iphone one can imagine the downgrade. The interface and organization is just no where near what apple offers. Though a BlackBerry is a phone first and a toy second while apple seems to be the other way around. However, the player has proven stable as I keep all of my music on an sd card. I haven't run into any errors where the phone could not read my music from my sd card or shown any strange behavior. It "Just works"

Notifications:
    This is a big one for me. I want to be able to know who's texting, e-mailing, calling, getting updates on Facebook, or anything that may need my attention. BlackBerry does this very well and I highly praise it. First there is the blinking LED. It let's me know there is some kind of message waiting for me. Unlocking the device I now can look at my status bar to see what kind of message I have. I can open this bar to get a preview of the message and even go into the message from here. Or if I choose I can use one of the icons on the menu bar below. Now I can also get fancy and use music of my choosing for notifications. Even my own music. And it's not only limited to contacts texts and calls but e-mails, calender alerts, anything. Something that is lacking on an Iphone. This is really big for me because knowing what notification is being sent to me before I pull the phone out of my pocket is very useful and adds character to my device. Getting a text from a friend while at work is handy as I may not be able to talk with them right then and there. On the other hand an e-mail from work would need my attention right there. Anything that makes things easier is always a bonus and the notification system for a BlackBerry just suits me far too well.

Battery Life:
    I've heard so many different views on the 9930's battery life that I'm pleased to give my view on it. I think the battery life is good. I normally pull the device off the charger just before I go to work at 7am and put it back on the charger just before bed. The lowest I've been was 35%. GPS location is off, screen brightness 10%, auto dim, and backlight dim after 20 seconds. I'm using my device throughout the day with moderate texting, e-mails, and phone calls. I also do some light web surfing and listen to music for about two hours daily. Honestly I find the battery life on par with most phones and even surpasses some.

Rapping up:
    I may sound like I'm being hard on this device at times but, I'm sure most of you want the honest truth about this device. And I mention it "Just works". This is some high praise in this smartphone market as many devices out there are buggy in one way or another. There are also devices that try to be too flashy and fun that the core functions of the phone are ignored and suffer. I don't see that in the 9930. All its phone functions work very well. If that's important to you then the 9930 will not let you down. It like its other brothers is a work horse and does a great job at being a productive device.

Oh and don't ask about the camera.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 11:34 PM
    Thanks for the honest review... I like the new Bold 9900... it's really "just works" for me and i think that i don't want more then that.
    09-17-11 12:26 AM
    good review. thank you.
    09-17-11 06:14 AM
    Good review, thanks for taking the time to write what I feel

Dogs are not cats. I really believe that the new Blackberries are sweet. So much that I had a hard time choosing between the Bold and Torch. I skipped the 9850/60 because I wanted a keyboard this time around. What really gets me, is how some wish their 'Berry was more like a 'Droid or iPhone. Both are really nice devices, but I really love the "fresh yet familiar" feel of the devices. Yes, the others have more apps, but honestly I have use for only 2-5% of them. My Blackberry has most of what I need already installed.

I've come to the realization that for all things I don't do on my 'Berry, I use my ipad for. It is a nice compliment. I only really use it for web surfing when away from my laptop, YouTube, games and movies for the kids when out. Anyway, thanks again.
    09-17-11 08:13 AM
    ... couldn't have said it better... thumbs up!!
    09-17-11 10:49 AM
    BB is just too good

09-17-11 11:06 AM
    Oh and don't ask about the camera.

Well, I am asking about the camera. What about it? You like it or you don't?
    09-17-11 11:14 AM
    I'm also curious about your camera comment, so I'm asking too. Nice review by the way.

09-17-11 11:24 AM
    haha i think he is inferring he does not want to beat a dead horse while its down..
    09-17-11 01:17 PM
    Aw come on. I winked. That buys me a free pass to not explain the camera problem right? Oops.
    09-17-11 01:21 PM
    Nice review I think RIM has recaptured the hearts of true BB lovers with this device and will probable bring some back to blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-17-11 05:00 PM
    That's a very good review!!

I'm coming from an old pink Curve 8830 and the change is amazing. Way more than I could have asked or hoped for. I LOVE this phone!!!

My worry is that....someday in a few years RIM may not update with similar models. That makes me feel panicky. I don't think I ever want all touchscreen. I love the way the keyboard, touchscreen, and trackpad all 3 compliment each other SO well!

09-17-11 07:22 PM
    Nice review. I'm with you on notifications. In fact, as I'm typing this, my wife sent me a text. How do I know this? Well, with BeBerry notifications, I have my contacts (text, email, phone, etc) associated with certain colors and or sounds. My wife just came up as Pink notifications.
    09-18-11 03:48 PM
    That's a very good review!!

I'm coming from an old pink Curve 8830 and the change is amazing. Way more than I could have asked or hoped for. I LOVE this phone!!!

My worry is that....someday in a few years RIM may not update with similar models. That makes me feel panicky. I don't think I ever want all touchscreen. I love the way the keyboard, touchscreen, and trackpad all 3 compliment each other SO well!

I think you will see physical keyboards around for a good long while. The physical keyboard is Rims trademark and one of the reasons why people still use blackberrys. I came back to BB for this reason I hate touch screens.
    09-18-11 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD