My company is upgrading me from a 8530 curve to a 9930 Bold. I was wondering if I need a microSD card if i only put Pandora and one other app on the phone. I will only have a handful of photos on the phone. I have had Blackberry phones for 7 years and am pretty consistent with use. I do not plan to do much else with the phone other than heavy email and text and pandora. Thanks.
    10-28-11 09:08 PM
    you can put your MicroSD from your 8530 into the 9930. whether you need/want it is up to you. they can accept up to a 32GB card. i personally use one and save all pics/videos to it.
    robertofbradenton likes this.
    10-28-11 09:15 PM
    Apps are not installed on the microSD card, so that doesn't matter.

The 9930 has 8GB of internal memory for storing media related stuff. If you're just putting pics on it then that will be more than enough. The advantage to using the internal memory versus a card is that the BlackBerry Desktop Software can back it all up when you perform a standard backup of the device data, this is not so with an external media card.
    10-28-11 09:22 PM
    Apps are not installed on the microSD card, so that doesn't matter.

The 9930 has 8GB of internal memory for storing media related stuff. If you're just putting pics on it then that will be more than enough. The advantage to using the internal memory versus a card is that the BlackBerry Desktop Software can back it all up when you perform a standard backup of the device data, this is not so with an external media card.
    To backup data from the SD card all you need to do is tick the box in BB Desktop Manager that says "Include Files saved on my built-in media storage"
    10-28-11 09:38 PM
    To backup data from the SD card all you need to do is tick the box in BB Desktop Manager that says "Include Files saved on my built-in media storage"
    Have you tried that?

The keyword "built-in" refers to the 8GB internal storage I mentioned, not an external SD card. A SD card isn't "built-in" since it's removable...
    10-28-11 09:42 PM
    Have you tried that?

The keyword "built-in" refers to the 8GB internal storage I mentioned, not an external SD card. A SD card isn't "built-in" since it's removable...
    You are correct. Terrible. Thanks for schooling me as I thought this option backed up all data. RIMdiots!

Now I need to setup Syncback Pro to backup the Media card when I plug in my BB.

Again thanks for the schooling.
    10-28-11 10:37 PM
    You are correct. Terrible. Thanks for schooling me as I thought this option backed up all data. RIMdiots!

Now I need to setup Syncback Pro to backup the Media card when I plug in my BB.

Again thanks for the schooling.
    No problem. Better to find that out now than learn the hard way...
    10-28-11 10:50 PM
    Great info, Thanks. Can I trouble you with 2 more questions. I have had 2 Blackberry phones over the past 7 years and have never had any problems and being a mac user at home have never been fond of the desktop manager. Do i have to use it? My phone never really has anything on it that i cannot replace? The other thing is the NFC. It is blocked on the verizon phone and I choose not to do any unauthorized updates but I do think it will be a good feature down the road. Do seasoned users assume this will come in time? Thanks again.
    10-29-11 06:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD