Am I misunderstanding something here? The phone comes with 8GB onboard memory. I understand apps cannot be installed to the SD card. However, I'm showing 166.6MB free in the upper-right corner of my screen when downloading something from App World. Currently I have about 15 apps installed, totalling approx. 30MB (give or take). Does this sound right? Shouldn't I have more than 166.6? My 9780 that has more apps installed (granted it's running OS6) still says over 200 MB free.

Thanks.
    09-05-11 05:44 PM
    Apps cannot be installed to the onboard 8GB either. They must use the 768MB memory for that. The OS uses a portion of that and leaves about 205MB for installing apps. Blame the strange OS architecture on this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    andy957 likes this.
    09-05-11 06:01 PM
    Thanks, Jay. So this has changed from OS6 to OS7? Is OS7 that much more of a hog in terms of what resources it requires?

(N.B.: I still love my 9780. )
    09-05-11 06:09 PM
    The 9900 has 3 specific locations for memory. #1 - 768MB of RAM, just like the RAM inside a computer. #2 - 768MB of Application and OS memory, and #3 - the 8GB of storage memory for pictures and songs and whatever else you decide to load your device with.

The OS is installed to the #2 - 768MB of Application and OS memory as are any apps you download. When the apps and OS are running a portion of them are loaded into the #1 - 768MB of RAM. (Think of it like a desk, you have drawers which are your #2 memory and your desktop which is your #1 RAM.) When you download apps the space available is your #2 768MB of Application and OS memory. And yes OS7 is more of a memory hog than OS6. I explained this as best as I know how to make it easy to understand, I hope you get it! Take care!
    andy957 likes this.
    09-05-11 06:25 PM
    Thank you, Danny, that now makes sense, although makes me appreciate my 9780's memory handling a little bit more. Sometimes newer isn't always better, eh?
    09-05-11 06:28 PM
    Those knuckleheads over at RIMM should know that Blackberry users these days would like to have at least 800Mb. of space available for applications to install on their devices or at least design the OS so that users can use the memory on their memory stick for application use. Earth to software engineers
    09-05-11 06:39 PM
    Thank you, Danny, that now makes sense, although makes me appreciate my 9780's memory handling a little bit more. Sometimes newer isn't always better, eh?
    Hahaha your welcome! I was afraid I was being too confusing! But im glad you understood! Yeah, It would be nice if RIM gave the phone around 1GB of Application and OS storage, but most of the apps in app world are tiny. And there are instances where some app files will be installed on your 8GB of storage. Such is the case with Rollercoaster Rush 2, It asked me to download 30MB of files over wifi only, wouldnt let me do it over my network, and when I went lookin for the files it downloaded I found they were on the 4GB (I have the 9860, so for you 9900 users the 8GB) of storage. So I guess games and apps that require more space will load the core mechanics and components to the 768MB of app and OS storage while it will load music and other files to the onboard 4GB/8GB storage.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-05-11 06:41 PM
    Will we ever be able to store apps on the SD card?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-05-11 06:52 PM
    Thanks, Jay. So this has changed from OS6 to OS7? Is OS7 that much more of a hog in terms of what resources it requires?

(N.B.: I still love my 9780. )
    This is how it has always been for blackberry OS. Yes OS7 takes up more spacer than before but they also increased application/OS memory. So I think it is mostly a wash.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 07:19 PM
    Click on the Blackberry Setup icon on your homescreen and go to languages. Delete any unwanted languages. I deleted them all except English and got another 30MB of storage. I have 12 apps installed and currently have 229MB free
    andy957 likes this.
    09-05-11 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD