I talk today with one kid who has a bold 9900 that has not bricked after weeks of use and told me that he can charge his bold 9900 all night and also his battery last all day and ask him why is that possible and he told me the following:

My father ask the carrier to reset the battery because he has another bold 9900 that brick itself, that is how he knows how to fix the issue before it happens.

Could it be possible that the solution is as easy as resetting the battery?

Do you know how do you reset a battery or how it is done?

The carriers have special chargers to do that?
    12-02-11 09:58 PM
    very interesting. anyway, I've had mine for 3 months and gets charged every night till morning and hasn't bricked. knock on wood.
    12-02-11 10:08 PM
    I have a bold 9900 as do about a dozen of my friends. I also work in an I.S department of a major company where we have rolled out over 200 bold 9900s into our fleet.

Not only have we not seen or heard of a bricked 9900. We haven't had a single device display any out of the ordinary behavior. Only one 9900 has been sent back for repair and that was due to a physically cracked screen.

This talk about bricked 9900s is stuff I have only heard of on internet message boards.
    12-03-11 12:01 AM
    I have a bold 9900 as do about a dozen of my friends. I also work in an I.S department of a major company where we have rolled out over 200 bold 9900s into our fleet.

Not only have we not seen or heard of a bricked 9900. We haven't had a single device display any out of the ordinary behavior. Only one 9900 has been sent back for repair and that was due to a physically cracked screen.

This talk about bricked 9900s is stuff I have only heard of on internet message boards.
    That's what I thought until I bought one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-11 12:20 AM

I'd have said the same thing myself - and I'm a BES admin, however, I experienced a bricked 9900 a month ago...and it could not be recovered. It was exchanged for new. I also have a bricked 9800 that has the identical issue. You can read the CNBC story where the problem was admitted to by RIM, albeit not to the degree of problem; I'm sure, but clearly it's not just some viral rumour perpetuated on the boards, or Apple trolls either...

News Headlines

@ the OP, that's a complete load of crap and the most ignorant thing I've heard regarding this particular issue.

Whoever told you that is a certified moron...bricked phones have NOTHING to do with the battery. They may brick because of a low/dead battery, but that's the only relationship between bricking and batteries. You can get 10 100%-fully-charged batteries, insert each one - one at time - into your bricked Bold and guess what...you'll still have a bricked Bold after each battery insertion. Many here have actually killed their battery often and NOT bricked their phones.

By the logic you describe, each time someone's phone doesn't brick, it's because they "reset" their battery...gee, wow...

There is NO such thing as "resetting" the battery you speak of. Your friend and /or the others he dealt are just ignorant idiots.

I honestly can't believe some of the moronic crap I read on these boards...or are they just idiots looking for undeserved attention and recognition?
    Last edited by FBA; 12-03-11 at 12:50 AM.
    12-03-11 12:47 AM
    Hey FBA,
    Don't be a debby downer-- he was just trying to be helpful, albeit unsuccessfully.
    You on the other hand are just trying to be a duesche... with a fair amount of success.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-11 12:57 AM
    I believe it is happening. I have never heard of any type of electronic device being 100% fault free. Especially an all new device paired with an all new operating system. There is bound to be glitches. I mean, when is the last time that Microsoft put out a 100% bug free OS.

But...I haven't heard of it happening from anyone offline. The Bell Canada rep that services our company hasn't either. I have lunch with the guy at least once a week and the first question I have for him when I see him lately has been "seen a bricked 9900 yet?"....He hasn't. And he has gone through thousands of them.

So I dunno. I am actually hoping we get a bricked device here, so I can have an opportunity to play with it.
    12-03-11 01:11 AM
    @FBA:
    the battery has some kind of "ID" to make sure only original ones are used. You need to re programmed the battery if its screws and be seens as non-original then it sort of "bricked" but that is not the bricking everybody is talking about.
    and don't be too harsh dude... Some peoeple are ignorant but means well...
    12-03-11 01:32 AM
    @ the OP, that's a complete load of crap and the most ignorant thing I've heard regarding this particular issue.
    Are you drunk? Do you have a bad day? Why you are so sure that this thing is the most ignorant thing you have heard? Are you sure this is not the solution to the bricking issue, have you test it?

Whoever told you that is a certified moron...bricked phones have NOTHING to do with the battery. They may brick because of a low/dead battery, but that's the only relationship between bricking and batteries. You can get 10 100%-fully-charged batteries, insert each one - one at time - into your bricked Bold and guess what...you'll still have a bricked Bold after each battery insertion. Many here have actually killed their battery often and NOT bricked their phones.
    You are very wrong, I am on my third bold 9900 and the first two ones never brick because of a low/dead battery, they always fail at night when the battery was full and the phone was left charging some hours after the battery was full.

I have avoided bricking my third bold 9900 by not charging it at nigh and also by not letting the phone for hours after the battery is full, this tell me that the certified moron is you and not anyone.

By the logic you describe, each time someone's phone doesn't brick, it's because they "reset" their battery...gee, wow...
    The battery/charging time is the main issue that bricks the bold 9900, this is why maybe this is truly the solution to the bricking issue.

There is NO such thing as "resetting" the battery you speak of. Your friend and /or the others he dealt are just ignorant idiots.

I honestly can't believe some of the moronic crap I read on these boards...or are they just idiots looking for undeserved attention and recognition?
    Searching on the internet I have found this posts about resetting a battery:

Resetting battery is nothing more than maximal battery discharge
    and after that maximal charge. Sometimes this can help.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes GOOD batteries get out of sync with the battery gauge chip and
    ACT like they're bad.
    That CAN be fixed by resetting. I've done it. I know other people
    who've done it.
    --------------------------------------
    BUT .... many batteries have an intelligent battery controller chip in
    them. These chips monitor the battery
    and control charging, their purpose is to prevent excessive temperature
    and overcharging, as lithium batteries can become dangerously explosive when improperly managed.
    --------------------------------------

i think that the main moron and the ***** is other by only typing without not knowing anything.

How could it be that the kid bold 9900 has not bricked itself and he charges all night, and I am on my third bold and this third bold has not bricked because I never leave it in the night charging.

Of the 3 bold 9900 that I have every single one has over 65% of battery charged since new, also I have read that users from iphones 4S have fixed the battery issues by letting their batteries to go dead and recharging it again )

Some users think that the bricking issue appears because the bold 9900 think that the battery is dead and because of that it keep reloading the software.

We need solutions and answers not idiotic or moron posts like the one from FBA that don't help nothing in fixing this issue that affect a lot of bold 9900 owners.
    BroadKZter likes this.
    12-03-11 01:47 AM
    Enjoy your reset battery.
    12-03-11 06:59 AM
    Enjoy your reset battery.
    I wil ignore your posts because you are not helping to this issue.

Found this post in the blackberry forum:

You could try resetting the battery meter by draining the battery to 15% and then fully recharging. I find it is useful to do this every few months to ensure the meter is correct.

Could it be the main issue the battery meter of the bold 9900 that causes the bricking issue?

It is important to specify that the bricking issue is releated to the battery, some thing from the battery or the battery meter makes the bold 9900 to enter an infinite loop that causes the bricking issue.

I will say it again, my two other bold 9900 phones have died while they were charging in the night, the battery was not dead. It was full.

Also my third bold 9900 has not bricked in over 2 weeks because I am not charging it in the night.

This tell me that the bricking issue is releated to the battery and some type of bad battery meter, or other software that blocks the bold 9900 if you charge it more than 100% or leave the charger connected to the bold.

Also I have said that maybe the problem is the bold charger that gets too hot while charging, that could send more power to the phone when the battery is full.

Let's try to find what causes this issue and avoid users like FBA.

* I Like you to remeber that I am only in this site to find a solution to this issue, sometimes I open other posts of different things about blackberry but I access almost daily to find a solution to the bricking issue.

* I don't understand why RIM that has thousands of workers in all the world could not find a solution to this issue, if I have the tools I would test almost anything to find the solution, even things like resetting the battery ( right now I don't want to test if this fix the issue, I don't want to have another bricked bold ), with some phones and the correct tools I am sure to have the solution in less than 2 weeks. I think they don't care their customers like other companies that releases solutions fast to problems.
    Last edited by lke1; 12-03-11 at 08:42 AM.
    12-03-11 08:34 AM
    Ike, I think you're on a road to nowhere with your battery/bricking theory.

I've had my 9900 for 3 months, have charged it overnight, every night, with the OEM charger... and I've never had a problem.

You've just been unlucky.
    12-03-11 08:48 AM
    Mine goes on the pod with an OEM charger every night, usually with more than 50% of battery left after a full day of use. Sits all night even though the plug icon is up after an hour or so. The phone gets better with time. or I'm getting used to the foibles... I remain convinced there are defective phones out there. I don't think this is a software issue. Why would someone (with a warranty) exercise caution when charging? I would want to know asap if anything was going to make my handset go wonky.
    NotJustAPhone likes this.
    12-03-11 10:41 AM
    Ike, I think you're on a road to nowhere with your battery/bricking theory.

You've just been unlucky.
    Until RIM releases a definitive solution to the bricking issue I will try to search for a solution. I don't care what you think I will keep trying for a solution.
    12-03-11 11:30 AM
    Why would someone (with a warranty) exercise caution when charging? I would want to know asap if anything was going to make my handset go wonky.
    Because I have already two 9900 bricked bold 9900 and it is not funny to lost all the information from your phone even I have automatic backups daily using blackberry protect and also I do backups regulary using the blackberry desktop software.

Also I don't like to waste my time going two times to my carrier, leave the phone some hours so they check if they can fix the issue, and then waiting other hour for receiving the new phone.

If this third bold 9900 bricks itself I will try .540 to revive it, and then I will try the battery reset thing. I will not do the battery reset or do any other thing until this bold bricks itself.

The most amazing thing here is that we are trying to find a solution, and the people that works at RIM are doing nothing to fix this issue. Or maybe they are too busy building the new bbx os phones?
    12-03-11 11:37 AM
    Well, I have personal knowledge of a few hundred 9900s, none have shown any such issues. My bell guy has personal knowledge of a few thousand 9900s, none have shown any such issues. Nor have I even heard of these issues anywhere but on internet message boards.

So either Bell Mobility in Canada is offering better devices than whatever carrier you are dealing with. Or you have the worst luck of any human on the planet to have multiple dead devices. Or maybe it is something you are doing that kills them?? Maybe you are getting power surges in your home electrical or something??

I dunno. Maybe you shouldn't shower with your 9900 anymore.
    12-03-11 02:59 PM
    @OP, i can understand the pain in living in worry what if my 9900 bricked itself... but until now, even RIM dont know what the problems really are. there are lots of other bb out there. 9900 doesnt worth your time for trial and error. you've wasted lots of time (considering you are now on your 3rd 9900 already). its better to try other bold (onyx series) or go with 98x series.
    12-03-11 06:49 PM
    There is definitely something going on with these batteries.

Ive had 3 generations of bolds in a row now and have never experienced such a poor battery as the one I have in my 9900.

after a full charge (normaiil overnight, but I do work shifts) I then use my phone sometimes without any calls and very little other activity and I would be lucky to get 10 hours from the charge.

however and for example, today I unplugged the 9900 from the charger at 9am, I sent a couple of e-mails and a few BBM`s (no more than 10 total).
    my wireless and GPS location was turned of and at 19.00pm my phone died completely from no power remaining.

a few days after the same as above had occurred I placed the phone on charge overnight but found in the morning the phone had failed to accept the charge, whenever I pressed the power button the red light came on for a few seconds then went out and the phone failed to power up, I thought for a few moments that the phone had "bricked" as you put it.
    after a battery pull the phone went into its start sequence and I quickly plugged the charger in and the phone started to charge, prior to the battery pull the phone would not charge or power on if the charger was plugged in.

This leads me to believe that you could get stuck in a cycle were you have no power left to start the phone and as a result you cannot charge it either.

from reading the Playbook posts it appears that a few of those have done the same thing which could indicate that it may be something to do with the new opp system.
    12-03-11 07:23 PM
    Alot of what I'm hearing about 9900's bricking there is some correlation with that and people using the charging pod. Could be several reasons for that but those same people also most of the time have a leaked OS loaded.
    12-03-11 07:34 PM
    * I don't understand why RIM that has thousands of workers in all the world could not find a solution to this issue, if I have the tools I would test almost anything to find the solution, even things like resetting the battery ( right now I don't want to test if this fix the issue, I don't want to have another bricked bold ), with some phones and the correct tools I am sure to have the solution in less than 2 weeks. I think they don't care their customers like other companies that releases solutions fast to problems.
    Either that or it's a hardware issue (which they would never admit to). Whats the hold up on the fix for this? Theyre losing potential sales because of this problem, if they dont care about that then RIM should just close their doors now.
    12-03-11 07:48 PM
    There is definitely something going on with these batteries.

Ive had 3 generations of bolds in a row now and have never experienced such a poor battery as the one I have in my 9900.

after a full charge (normaiil overnight, but I do work shifts) I then use my phone sometimes without any calls and very little other activity and I would be lucky to get 10 hours from the charge.

however and for example, today I unplugged the 9900 from the charger at 9am, I sent a couple of e-mails and a few BBM`s (no more than 10 total).
    my wireless and GPS location was turned of and at 19.00pm my phone died completely from no power remaining.

a few days after the same as above had occurred I placed the phone on charge overnight but found in the morning the phone had failed to accept the charge, whenever I pressed the power button the red light came on for a few seconds then went out and the phone failed to power up, I thought for a few moments that the phone had "bricked" as you put it.
    after a battery pull the phone went into its start sequence and I quickly plugged the charger in and the phone started to charge, prior to the battery pull the phone would not charge or power on if the charger was plugged in.

This leads me to believe that you could get stuck in a cycle were you have no power left to start the phone and as a result you cannot charge it either.

from reading the Playbook posts it appears that a few of those have done the same thing which could indicate that it may be something to do with the new opp system.
    I'm finding that my battery life is greatly affected by location and what type of signal is available. When I am home, I can easily go two full days or more between charges with moderate usage. At home I have WiFi, so the wireless radios are basically idle. Battery drain at home is typically under 1.5% per hour. At work where I don't have an available WiFi network (not for personal devices, anyway), battery life gets downright horrible, like 7-8% per hour doing next to nothing, sometimes spiking to over 20% for no apparent reason. It got so bad this past Friday I was actually contemplating returning it. I think it's mostly due to being inside a large building with a lot of signal noise and a generally crappy '4G' reception from at&tm all combining to make the phone work a lot harder to find and lock onto a wireless signal. This phone is much more sensitive to those environment changes than any other BB I've owned, including a 9800 and 9810 in the exact same work location.

As for the bricking issue, it is so sporadic and variable, I'm not surprised it's taking RIM so long to come out with a fix. Even just among users here on CB, there seem to be almost as many causes as there are users who have had a problem. Mind hicupped one day last week and would not charge until I soft-booted. Thankfully that is the only problem I've had now in the four weeks I've owned it.
    12-03-11 10:46 PM
    I think it's mostly due to being inside a large building with a lot of signal noise and a generally crappy '4G' reception from at&tm all combining to make the phone work a lot harder to find and lock onto a wireless signal. This phone is much more sensitive to those environment changes than any other BB I've owned, including a 9800 and 9810 in the exact same work location.
    My experience is the same. Reception in my office is poor, but it seems to affect the battery life of my 9900 more than it did any other device--except for the 4G Android device that I had for a week. This leads me to wonder if it's the 4G radio that is especially prone to drain the battery when reception is poor, regardless of device.

But your 9810 was 4G too, right?

I guess there should be another thread for this...
    12-04-11 09:49 AM
    You have a point. Much better to find out after it's too late than to risk doing a restore.
    12-04-11 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD