Will thee 9900 be able to broadcast a wifi signal? am I missing it in the specs?
    06-24-11 02:19 AM
    It was there in the earlier specs.
    I don't know what happened to it.. :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 05:25 AM
    I think it is up to your service provider (aka carrier) to decide if they are going to allow it by pushing the service books for it OR not. Most likely it will be like UMA, where some carriers will support it and some won't. I think there will be an additional charge by most carriers if you would like to use this feature.

Anyway, this is all what I think... not based on any solid evidence.

Hope this helps.
    06-24-11 06:31 AM
    Yeah, I'm sure the carriers will have some influence on if I could use it, but if they don't have the capability then I'd be disappointed. I would just like to have the option should I ever decide to use it. I use teher w/ usb, not as much any more because I bridge with the playbook but I am hoping I'm able to use other devices through wifi.
    06-24-11 09:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure I seen Mobile WIFI Hotspot on some website for both 9900/9930. And again, it'll be up to your carrier if it'll be available to you, and for how much? $30 seems the average price so far.

06-25-11 05:40 PM
    me too, i thought i saw that feature although some video hands on never really show it..

well have to wait untill august and let kevin do the job
    06-27-11 07:18 AM
    Almost most carriers have WiFi Hotspots service right now and it ranges from $20.00 for 2GB and can go as high as $100.00 for more space. It all depends if the phone BB 9900 supports it or not. As of right now haven't heard of the 9900 having one, I would assume if it did they would promote it.

As far as the carrier goes it benefits them to provide you the option since it deosn't cost them extra to provide us with that feature, total ripoff, they are already selling us the same data on a different package. Talking about 800% profits.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 06-27-11 at 09:13 AM.
    06-27-11 09:08 AM
    From what i heard is that the ability is THERE - its up to the carriers if they are going to activate it or not.......
    06-27-11 09:08 AM
    I hope my carrier approves

06-27-11 03:16 PM
    At first I thought Verizon Wireless would not allow it, without paying extra for it. But I bet they may consider it now....given that the new tiered data plans go live (if nto grandfathered) on July 7. With the new plans, they are hoping for some good data overages to make some additional $$$ (those basterds). So in many ways, given the way VZW thinks, perhaps they will allow it. But also given the way VZW thinks, they may still charge extra for it, even though the new plans go into effect soon. Hey, they have to find a way to rip-off everyone!
    06-28-11 07:47 AM
    Don't android/iphones do this with no extra charge with work arounds? If so can we expect a similar work around for bb?
    06-28-11 07:58 AM
    The iPhone has this as standard now. No workarounds needed.
    06-28-11 08:00 AM
    The iPhone has this as standard now. No workarounds needed.
    Free or at what cost?
    06-28-11 08:05 AM
    Free. Just uses the data allowance of my plan. We have been able to buy unlocked iPhones here direct from Apple for ages, so there's really no way for the telco's to know how the data is being used. But even in saying that, the telco's can't charge you twice for the same data no matter what device it's being funnelled to.
    06-28-11 08:11 AM
    Almost all ATT Android device has this or a work around for free.
    Simple as typing a few lines, any one can do it.

I hope we can do this on the 9900
    allenmja likes this.
    06-28-11 08:11 AM
    Free. Just uses the data allowance of my plan. We have been able to buy unlocked iPhones here direct from Apple for ages, so there's really no way for the telco's to know how the data is being used. But even in saying that, the telco's can't charge you twice for the same data no matter what device it's being funnelled to.
    Must be nice, the carriers here want to charge you if you fart over your phone for another fart data plan.
    06-28-11 09:02 AM
    Mate, if there was a way they could charge they would. Our telco's are a pack of b$stards, like most it seems.
    06-28-11 09:04 AM
    Now that the new phones are official, I'm either missing something or there's no wifi hotspot option on these new devices. Has anyone heard or seen any evidence of this?
    08-03-11 04:13 PM
    People are saying it's "carrier enabled". I don't think that's right ... and if it were RIM would advertise it as a feature and have an asterisk *subject to carrier afterwards.

On the other hand - would the App called Tether suffice? Does that do the same thing basically?
    08-03-11 07:32 PM
    Functionally yes, though you are linked either by a USB cable or Bluetooth. So only one computer could use the service at a time, were as a wifi hotspot would presumably work with serveral wifi devices at once.

CS
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-03-11 11:11 PM
    Hmmm... Thanks CS. BT tethering would be a pain. Cable is even worse.
    08-03-11 11:13 PM
    Don't android/iphones do this with no extra charge with work arounds? If so can we expect a similar work around for bb?
    CMIIW but with Rogers this is free if you have 1GB+. I have 6GB and haven't come close reaching it.
    08-04-11 12:11 AM
    Free or at what cost?
    It costs an extra $25-30 if you get it through Verzion/AT&T. If you have a jailbroken iPhone, you can get MyWi and it will allow you to use your iPhone as a WiFi hotspot.
    08-04-11 12:15 AM
    Nevermind...
    Last edited by Derwent Graphite; 08-04-11 at 04:11 AM. Reason: brain fart
    08-04-11 12:16 AM
    People are saying it's "carrier enabled". I don't think that's right ... and if it were RIM would advertise it as a feature and have an asterisk *subject to carrier afterwards.

On the other hand - would the App called Tether suffice? Does that do the same thing basically?
    I am 100% sure that, when the 9900 spec initially leaked (or intentionally leaked) several months ago, it was there.
    I remember that RIM suddenly stopped mentioning this at all about the time when there was a controversy about charging extra for the bridge function for PlayBook (AT&T?).
    I thought RIM was intimidated by the likes of AT&T, being told that carriers will decide it they would activate this function or not.
    I have an iPhone4 and when the iOS4 activated the wifi hotspot and it was free (I have a 6 gb data plan), I was so delighted as it was so useful. I use the combo of iPhone/iPad whenever I am on the road. I can do everything on iPad's larger screen anywhere I go, while the IP$ still comfortably stays in my shirt pocket.

As to tethering, I did buy the Tether for my 9780 when my iPhone 4 did not have the wifi hotspot yet. It worked fine but a wire tethered stuff was so cumbersome, and I now forget how to use it :-). I do not even remember if it could be used with bluetooth. Wired tethering was physically more secure and stable.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    08-04-11 12:47 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD