11-18-11 11:21 AM
29 12
tools
    I used to use a 9780 & 9700 with extended battery of 2600 mAh & could easily get 24 hours of use. Now on the 9900, barely can get 12. There seems to be no extended battery available for the 9900 & so, even if barely use the phone when out, it's nearly dead just half a day later. I do not drive nor am always indoors, so I need a device that can go extended periods of time without charging it. I found something call the iGo AA battery pack that could give the phone a bit of a charge in a pinch, but I doubt it could fully charge the phone more than once.

Has anyone else found a solution for their battery woes yet? I'm pretty certain that I don't have a bad unit or battery & that it's just me not being used to a 1.2 GHz CPU combined with a smaller battery than ever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-11 07:19 AM
    have you tried versions .503 or 540 ? they drastically improve battery life. Also, there are like 2i83728937283723 posts talking about battery life, you should read some of them.
    11-17-11 07:47 AM
    Try os. 503, use 2g. Will last a day and more

11-17-11 07:47 AM
    I used to use a 9780 & 9700 with extended battery of 2600 mAh & could easily get 24 hours of use. Now on the 9900, barely can get 12. There seems to be no extended battery available for the 9900 & so, even if barely use the phone when out, it's nearly dead just half a day later. I do not drive nor am always indoors, so I need a device that can go extended periods of time without charging it. I found something call the iGo AA battery pack that could give the phone a bit of a charge in a pinch, but I doubt it could fully charge the phone more than once.

Has anyone else found a solution for their battery woes yet? I'm pretty certain that I don't have a bad unit or battery & that it's just me not being used to a 1.2 GHz CPU combined with a smaller battery than ever.

There are extended battery solutions, just search eBay. Some are huge with a new back cover and some are 1500mAh which fits the original back cover. I have the 1500 and I get about 10% - 15% more.
    11-17-11 07:48 AM
    My Bold 9930 lasts me all day. I use get about 70-80 e-mails per day, 3-4 BBM's, spend an hour or two on the phone on active calls and surf the web about 15 minutes per day. I also go workout and play my BBM Music mix for about 45 minutes. I get back home and I have over 20% battery life.
    I don't think there is a problem with the battery at all. Besides, I have a spare battery in my car and could always swap out but there is no problem with it. It almost sounds like you have a defective unit or battery.
    Maybe, the issue is that your previous BB gave you more battery life. However, I came back to BlackBerry from a battery sucking device partly because battery life.
    Sorry, I'm probably not much help on this one.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-17-11 at 07:55 AM.
    11-17-11 07:53 AM
    I'm not sure why your only getting 12 hours. I listen to music on mine from pretty much 8am to 5pm with about a 2 hour period where I am not; do some light browsing; send many emails, txts, bbms; and watch about 60 minutes of video a day and it lasts me 24 hours easy.
    11-17-11 07:54 AM
    Try os. 503, use 2g. Will last a day and more

Why have a smartphone if you're going to use it as a feature phone by going to 2g? People want 4g now. What for if you have to reduce it to 2g for battery life? Kind of defeats the purpose does it not?
    11-17-11 08:06 AM
    .503 !! Increased my time between charging by about 50%
    11-17-11 08:29 AM
    Why have a smartphone if you're going to use it as a feature phone by going to 2g? People want 4g now. What for if you have to reduce it to 2g for battery life? Kind of defeats the purpose does it not?
    You have a point, but it is not an ideal world. It is battery life we are focusing atm, so I am offering the best battery life solution for him.The reality is BB OS needs improvement especially its battery. We just have to make do if we want to use it's very productive BBM, email services, and keyboard. Having said that, working with BB is a pleasure compared to others. So with 2g I can last 1 day and a half of heavy use. with 3g its one day depending on signal strength.
    11-17-11 08:45 AM
    If you're not using the browser (or on WiFi), 2G is more than adequate. Esspecially given the additional battery life you'd get out of it.
    11-17-11 08:54 AM
    You might want to look into the software you have loaded and see if there may be a program causing the problems with your battery. If you did a device switch, it might have brought over some software that is not compatible with the 9900/os7. If you don't find anything there, try loading the latest firmware and then installing the programs one at a time from Appworld to ensure you get compatible versions.

In addition, one of the benefits of a Blackberry is that it is easy to carry a spare battery and change when you need too.
    Last edited by robsteve; 11-17-11 at 08:56 AM.
    11-17-11 08:54 AM
    i just got myself a 9900 and agree that the battery life is probably half that of the 9700 and 9780. so if you only got about a day out of the 9700 then just over half a day is about right for the 9900....but come on!!! u cant tell me this phone isnt worth giving up that battery life...i love the phone. its phenomenal imo....2 options id say. 1 carry around an extra battery...2 get the 9790 when it comes out soon. smaller screen will help its battery life i bet.

sorry for the punctuation...still no good typing on the pb lol
    11-17-11 09:02 AM
    I have to agree that the 9900 isn't as good as the 9700 in battery life. But its not bad at all. I went 16 hours yesterday on 3g and got home with 53% left. Not bad. I didn't drive it hard all day but I did Bbm and whatsapp a lot.

Great battery life? No.

Bad? No.

Its somewhere in normal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-17-11 09:53 AM
    i don't know why people are complaining about battery life so much!!

the 9900 is still on par or even better then most smart phones out there over 1gb processors.. so no matter what device u go to now a days ur gonna get about a day on heavy usage!!

I don't know people just don't charge their phones everynight!! it boggles my mind!!

charger beside bed --> plug in before bed --> 100% to start the day = no worries about dying battery!!

it does not reduce the life of your battery and charge cycles, this is of the past!

i find .543 better for me.. had a 1 hr meeting on it this morning running cisco's webex, emails, bbms, text message.. took it off the charger at 7:20am .. it's now 11:43 and it's at 86%.. not bad..

btw i keep wifi on all day, bluetooth on when i am in the car (1hr commute), NFC on all day due to my tags i have setup.. HSPA+ on all day .. screen brightness to 50%

i say if u get a day which = 16-18 hours for me and still have about 20% left... it's pretty good...
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 11-17-11 at 10:47 AM.
    11-17-11 10:45 AM
    I picked up a Duracell Powerhouse a year ago for when my daughters travelled to Europe. The Powerhouse is good for 2 phone recharges or about 60 hours of continuous use. It recharges via a USB cable. It has a built-in swing arm with a micro USB male plug. It also has a USB port. It can charge 2 phones or devices at once. I picked mine up a year ago for under $20 and it came with a short USB to micro USB cord. I added a short USB to mini USB cord.

I now use mine with my phone on the golf course. I play 36 holes every Saturday and I have my GPS golf app and music running all day.

11-17-11 10:48 AM
    I agree with you both. I think the best way about that is to use an App to switch 2g/3G on demand. I dont have found the right one, but there are some interesting at store.
    11-17-11 10:59 AM
    back to bold 9780
    11-17-11 11:11 AM
    We get a supreme device like this and yet it is the never ending complaint about battery life.

My day starts at 06:30 and by about 17:00 my battery is only down about 15%. This includes texting, emails, and poking around on the web. If you use the device... expect battery life to go down.
    maxrdlf likes this.
    11-17-11 11:17 AM
    I drove from GE Prestwick to a hotel just outside Cardiff. the trip took 8 hours, my phone had been off charge since 5.50 am I spent a lot of the trip on the phone discussing machine issues and did some mails on a stop. My phone dropped a call at 8.15 ish. I had to use a data cable to charge from my laptop to pick the call up. Left Cardiff this morning around 7.30 am arrived back at Prestwick around 3pm and tonight the phone died about half 5 with very little use. Running 503....
    11-17-11 12:05 PM
    I do agree that my battery life is not as good as my 9700 which was exceptional. Also web browsing on Wifi really sucks the battery up. But if I keep my web use down to 15 minutes, even with heavy texting emailing BBM and reading books I can easily get over 20 hours and often 24 hours of use before I have to charge. I only achieved this after I turned location off, and made sure that my Gmail app isn't running.

11-17-11 12:26 PM
    Had a 9700, now on a 9900, even after the 503(2 days now, might settle in) the battery life cannot be compared. 97xx batteries were awesome. Essentially, the 9900 is more phone and less juice, can't say bb dint see this coming.

11-17-11 12:49 PM
    I actually was having the same issues, but decided to purchase the extended battery 3500 mah off of eBay. It ads some weight and depth to the phone but is well work it. I own my own small business and am never in the office. I use my phone constantly and was having to charge up by 10 in the morning. With this new 3500 mah pack I am able to make it to at least 7pm with heavy heavy usage. Definitely worth the investment. There is a unique trick with this battery where I have to unlock it to make it work with the phone. But it came with the adapter to enable this to occur, and the battery has proved amazing even with numerous charges...it is still holding strong

Andy
    11-17-11 08:36 PM
    I haven't been keeping up with this thread but please do give .540 a shot if you have a 9900. The UI took a major jump in performance and its still early for me to fully judge battery life yet but I really do feel I would have been reaching for thr charger sooner had I been using .503.

11-17-11 09:10 PM
    7.0.0.503.... I can't run my phone to low batt on the busiest of days-- even if I try!! My phone was just as crappy as the next guy's until this os

11-17-11 09:17 PM
    i switched from a 9700 with a gsm network in europe to the 9930 with verizon... i was astonished at how bad the battery life was... the day after i got it, i had charged it overnight, started using it at around 11am, and i was in the red zone by 5pm... it's ridiculous. i actually really miss my 9700... don't think i would miss the 9930 if i had to give up on it.

also, does anyone know when .503 or .540 are going to be available for verizon? because I'm currently running on .374 and my battery life is AWFUL.
    11-17-11 09:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD