Hey friends!
    I need your help.

My WiFi reception went bad and I have no idea why.

It started about 2days ago.
    I`m running on 7.1.0.428 - I installed it the first day as it was official...
    But I`m not sure it has something to do with that OS, because the first days everything went fine. I was able to receive 3 network (1 from my router and 2 from my neighbors).

Now, I have problems just receive my signal, within 10meters around the router.
    I only get a connection, when I`m in the same room as my router - that�s really annoying.
    I upgraded to .437 in hope to get it back on track - nope.
    Downgraded to .342, .391 and finally back to .428 - same problem.
    (before switching between OS, I always wiped my phone with BBSak)

I also use a 8900 which still gets all 3 networks (and the one from my router with full strengh in all rooms).

Are there any settings or so that could weak my Wi-Fi reception or so??
    Is my device broken?

Please help me, I need to get back my full Wi-Fi power, because the carrier data network is very bad at my hometown.
    05-31-12 01:24 PM
    wow, i came here to post this exactly post! I have a 9900 and from 2 days ago i have a bad wifi reception.
    05-31-12 01:32 PM
    Hey yv1650c!
    Did you find any solution?
    Also on .428?
    That problem really drives me crazy...
    05-31-12 01:34 PM
    mine is 7.1.0.342 build 1149. NO SOLUTION YET
    05-31-12 02:27 PM
    I would try pulling the battery and wait 1-2 minutes than restart.
    05-31-12 02:42 PM
    Exactly the same problem, I can only stay on one side of the house if I want to keep connected. Sitting in the room with the router now and still have a really bad connection. Its been driving me crazy! I've had it for a few weeks now ever since I upgraded to 7.1, but I can't find the solution.
    05-31-12 03:08 PM
    Hey guys!
    First of all: Thank you for all your replies!

@Hgouck: Batterypull was the first thing I have tried, then the OS up-/downgrades as discribed in my first post.

This is so strange! 3 days ago everything worked perfect!

I was able to use WiFi in my office (the room next to where my WiFi router is) and in my bedroom (2 rooms beside that).
    Now it still works only about 10meters around the router in the same room.
    Office nomore, bedroom nomore.

Right now, I stand about 3meters away (also can see it) - my signal shows only 1bar(!).
    05-31-12 03:49 PM
    Hey guys!
    First of all: Thank you for all your replies!

@Hgouck: Batterypull was the first thing I have tried, then the OS up-/downgrades as discribed in my first post.

This is so strange! 3 days ago everything worked perfect!

I was able to use WiFi in my office (the room next to where my WiFi router is) and in my bedroom (2 rooms beside that).
    Now it still works only about 10meters around the router in the same room.
    Office nomore, bedroom nomore.

Right now, I stand about 3meters away (also can see it) - my signal shows only 1bar(!).
    the same failure here, and theres no falls or others problems to report on my bb!
    05-31-12 07:55 PM
    Did anyone try the router?
    05-31-12 09:10 PM
    I think this is a problem with RIM's quality control because I had the same issue on one phone and it was exchanged (not because wifi issues, but for a different reason). Now this one works fine, but still the reception is far inferior to what older Bold 9700....

I remember a lot people complain about wifi and GPS when the phone was first released. My GPS still takes a long time to lock causing problems on apps like Maps.
    05-31-12 10:27 PM
    @GeoK: The router is fine! It still works perfectly with my trusty Curve 8900 & with my laptop - even in my backyard.

@mss-ca: So you mean, I might have a broken hardware unit?

I hoped there is somewhere a hidden software feature or OS version to increase my WiFi reception or so...
    I also hoped, I only changed some settings and didn't notice that.

Anyway, thank all of you!
    If you find any solution, I'd be glad to read from you!
    Otherwise I have to call the shop, where I bought it.
    Last edited by Slash82; 06-01-12 at 01:46 AM.
    06-01-12 01:36 AM
    I have the same problem, too. My bb9900 used to have good reception in my home and office. After upgrading from .428 to .437, I cannot connect to my router at home even if I sit right beside my router. There are lots of dead zones in my office where I had coverage before. Downgrade to .428, nothing has changed significantly.
    Is there a way to completely wipe the phone so that I can load a fresh system? I use bbhtool to wipe my bb before apploading system every time. I was wondering if some files from different os are still in my bb, which may cause this problem.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-01-12 02:39 AM
    Hey ma678!

There are two good wipe softwares:
    1. BBSak you get it at www.bbask.org
    2. JL-Cmd (but I don't know the website right now - if you are a Windows7 user you need on 1.9.4)
    06-01-12 06:31 AM
    I actually think I am having the same problem with .428 as well. It's not that it doesn't find Wi-Fi connections, but it tends to lose the signal a lot then reconnect when I'm outside the room where the router is. I noticed this but I thought something went wrong with the OS installation, had no idea it was a universal problem.

7.1 is filled with bugs, let's hope 7.2 (if there's going to be one) is going to have solutions to all these problems.
    06-01-12 07:21 AM
    The solution is simple if that's the case.

Setup a shorter password, or add a new SSID (if your router supports it) for a guest network with a shorter password. I had lots of issues with a 63-character password until I discovered this. No other devices had issues except this stupid Bold, but that's exactly what it was in the end....try to this one if it will work.
    mhw100 likes this.
    06-01-12 08:27 AM
    If this has not been done before, maybe you can try this also: just reset your router...unplug the router, then put the power back after 20 seconds or so....

Sometimes i would lose wifi connection on my laptop and everything else...resetting the router does the job....
    06-01-12 08:50 AM
    I did reset my router last night. No success.

Also my password is just 10-digits long.

I am afraid it's an OS failure.

Considering to roll back to .391 now..
    06-01-12 01:16 PM
    Using TMo's .284 I have no problem on any of the wifi's I usually use. Was unhappy that at two recent hotels my wife's iPad got on the net when neither my 9900 nor Playbook could (one in Paris the other in Maine) get hooked up (although both saw the lodal network). She has yet to stop talking about that. In Paris it would work if I was outside my room but not in the room.
    06-01-12 04:00 PM
    The solution is simple if that's the case.

Setup a shorter password, or add a new SSID (if your router supports it) for a guest network with a shorter password. I had lots of issues with a 63-character password until I discovered this. No other devices had issues except this stupid Bold, but that's exactly what it was in the end....try to this one if it will work.
    You discovered this?? Really...what did you do, copy and paste my 3-month old post here and claim you discovered it? Wow...along with your 5 posts, you have no integrity whatsoever.
    06-01-12 07:23 PM
    OK, I just finished my BB downgrade to the last ATT software, I believe the problem is the phone. Its very rare in order it has no falls down, or any damage by other causes. In this order i believed it was a software problem but not!, it has a very big problem with the wifi signal, it loses it, and being really near to the wifi station (wifi router) is the only way to get a connection on the router.
    06-02-12 12:00 PM
    Hey guys!
    Thank you again for all your replies!

Yesterday I contacted Amazon (where I bought my Bold), I still have warranty on it and gonna send it back.

I think the Wi-Fi antenna broke or something. Hope, they are able to fix that very fast!

Will report back what they tell me about that issue!
    06-03-12 08:33 AM
    OK, so mine should be the same problem? does anybody here know how to contact blackberry warranty? I bought the BB9900 at&t branded form ebay.com, full priced, and I called ATT they do need you to be registered with a phone number on their network in order to proceed with the warranty. I believe it should be a RIM warranty service... how can i go to this?
    06-03-12 01:50 PM
    I downgraded to .391 last night, and things changed a little bit. I can connect wifi only in the room where my router is. Looks like still an OS problem.

06-03-12 01:52 PM
    I downgraded to .391 last night, and things changed a little bit. I can connect wifi only in the room where my router is. Looks like still an OS problem.

I also tried the downgrades to .391 and .342. Nothing changed considering my WiFi reception.
    Really frustrating!

I also tried my wifi at the local MediaMarkt-Store (it's like Best Buy in the states) to get sure that it's not my router at home.

My old Curve 8900 was able to show 12 wifi routers and my Bold 9900 showed 1 router around me.

I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable.

Today I gonna send it back in hope they can fix that problem really fast.
    06-04-12 01:11 AM
    Hopefully it's not a hardware issue.

Sent from Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2.
    06-04-12 03:46 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD