Had a BB about 4 years ago with work but have since had an iPhone. Back to BB with the new Bold 9900 and I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with! They're mainly around emails but I have a couple of others:
    • I have added two email accounts (AOL and Gmail) which are picking up new emails fine, but I want to access the read pre-existing emails/folders that are already there. In the iPhone these would just appear when you added the account details but I can only see NEW stuff sent to me.
    • When I delete these emails, I'm choosing to delete 'On Mailbox and Handheld' but they're only deleting on the phone. Any settings I need to change?
    • Similarly, when I read an email on the phone, it is not recognising this in the main mailbox and so when I access the emails on my PC or through webmail, they're sitting there unread. Again, is there any way I can change this?
    • I can't find a free RSS Feed Reader that can import from Google Reader. Do they exist? I've tried the Social Feeds app but it wants me to add the feeds one by one which I really can't be bothered to do as I have around 75 feeds I follow.
    • When changing the ringtone, is there anyway to preview the sounds without having to choose one and then scroll down to 'Try It'? sometimes when I select one it will do a preview and othertimes it won't sound. What am I doing wrong here!

Thanks in advance for your support! I'm loving the new BB and can't believe I've been away so long
    10-01-11 03:17 PM
    From you open Messages folder press Menu/Options/Message Display and Actions. Make sure the boxes for Hides Sent Messages and Hide Filed Messages are not checked.
    Open Messages/Menu/Options/Email Reconciliation. From the top right corner you can choose each of your email accounts.
    Choose Delete on Mailbox and Handheld. Under Wireless Reconcile choose:Mailbox Wins. Best of luck.
    I can't advise on the rss feeds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 10-01-11 at 03:50 PM.
    10-01-11 03:44 PM
    the stock BB news app can import google reader feeds. Go to the add feed tab then hit menu, import google reader subscriptions. Too bad vlingo isn't available, but the stock app works well enough for me.

for the ringtone preview, don't actually select the tone. Just hover over one and it should always play a preview.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 04:00 PM
    Thanks for the hints albee 1 but those settings are correct already. I've changed them around and back as they should be again to see if that would kick start anything but no joy

kjjb0204 - I'm being thick but what do you mean by the stock bb news app? Did a search in app world but couldn't find anything... (but then I'm not finding other apps that should exist such as LinkedIn so there could be something wrong??) Could you let me know the exact name?

EDIT: - Just did a search on the BB website and this app is only available to US/Canada - crap

Tip re: previews worked - thanks
    Last edited by Tweetinat; 10-02-11 at 02:19 PM.
    10-02-11 02:15 PM
    Ah, sorry. Didn't see your location. Too bad, its actually pretty good. Simple and clean.
    10-02-11 03:40 PM
    Anyone else with any ideas about the email? My husband suggested it may be an IMAP/POP3 issue but I can't find anywhere to check which one of these it's using and how to change it.

Not being able to see my old emails/folders could be a dealbreaker for me as I bought the BB especially for this to make my life easier. Any help will be muchly appreciated!!
    10-03-11 01:57 PM
    Anyone else with any ideas about the email? My husband suggested it may be an IMAP/POP3 issue but I can't find anywhere to check which one of these it's using and how to change it.

Not being able to see my old emails/folders could be a dealbreaker for me as I bought the BB especially for this to make my life easier. Any help will be muchly appreciated!!
    You can read any old emails you like straight off the server. Read up on remote search.

Open your mail icon
    BlackBerry Key > Search By > Advanced
    .. then Search Messages Remotely
    (add other filters as desired, ie. sent only, specific email addresses/subjects)
    Save the search (or not)
    (If not saving just select Search at the top/bottom... if saving give it a name)

Searching with no parameters gets all messages.
    Exiting the search results deletes just the results.

You can also map searches to specific Alt+key combos or something like that. Like Alt+S within your email searches all remote sent emails, or whatever you define in the search and link the key to. Just checked. Yes it is Alt + whatever key you define.

On mine the results are grabbed in groups of 20, sub-grouped by date. Select the BB Menu and Get More Results to well.. get more results. If you save search setups you can go in later and edit or delete them as well.

And for any really important emails you want stored locally for fast reference just choose "Save" from within that email (BB Menu key). That stores the message on the device for good or until deleted later. I guess theoretically you could always select all messages and choose Save each time. But I prefer that Google stores old emails. I do not want them on my phone.

Lots of options.
    Last edited by southlander; 10-03-11 at 02:18 PM.
    10-03-11 01:58 PM
    Your husband would be correct, it is probably an IMAP/POP3 issue. However, that's only going to solve part of your problem. Because of the way that the BIS works, when you setup an e-mail on your device it does not retrieve old e-mail messages on your inbox, it only forwards new e-mails to your device. The reason for this is the BB handles e-mail completely different from the way the iPhone does. Where the iPhone goes out and downloads your entire e-mail inbox, then poles it periodically to check for new mail, the BB saves your e-mail setup on the BIS servers, and they handle the e-mail reconcillation. When a new e-mail hits your inbox (on an IMAP setup) the server is alerted, and the message is forwarded to your device.

I'm not sure how AOL e-mail works on a BB, but my understanding is that Gmail is setup for IMAP as default. Go into your e-mail settings application where you went to setup the e-mail, and make sure that under your Gmail settings (may be under advanced settings) that you have the box checked to sync deleted items. You may also want to check your Gmail settings to make sure IMAP is authorized on your e-mail. I think I had to adjust settings the first time I setup my Gmail on my BB under IMAP.
    10-03-11 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD