I'd keep this topic on the magnum/dakota and not hijack it into what bb you should buy.
    01-21-10 09:01 PM
    I'd keep this topic on the magnum/dakota and not hijack it into what bb you should buy.
    i don't mean to hijack anything.wow that is harsh word to use in dialect. im not a known terrorist by any means.
    Last edited by chetan1285; 01-21-10 at 09:09 PM. Reason: simplify
    01-21-10 09:06 PM
    As I stated earlier, he said one of the mockups he saw last year had a trackball and all subsequent ones had either the trackpad or nothing at all.

Also, just wanted to say, when we spoke. He said that there *might* be a front-facing camera. He said one of the designs had a special speaker/camera insert on the front which I'm guessing would be for something like video chat or front facing pictures.

So I'm guessing that RIM will still keep the camera in the back as the main one but they might have one in the front to support video conferencing/chat etc...
    front facing camera. now this is what im talking about.

bold screen size, TRACKPAD and a front facing camera. they make this phone and its the perfect berry. the biggest reason i wanted a trackpad aside from having a windows mobile phone as my second phone is because the trackballs were a pain in the ***. the trackpad has resolved this but i still want it. rim pls do not remove the trackpad it is necessary
    01-21-10 11:32 PM
    i don't mean to hijack anything.wow that is harsh word to use in dialect. im not a known terrorist by any means.
    just forums banter. No worries bro.

I say hold out for the Dakota. The insiders are saying august-ish release date which probably means september. Well worth the wait. This is RIM's next generation of blackberries. It starts with this device.

But that aside, I'd respectfully ask we get back on topic.
    01-21-10 11:33 PM
    Yes, August will be the release date. It has pretty much become common knowledge around the office. That is for Canada though. Don't know about other places yet. Also, I have not heard anything about the second camera on the front. Don't know where people are getting this information. If this is true, I wonder if it will be a second liquid lens camera or just a regular one? Many things to think about!
    01-23-10 12:13 PM
    I have no information but will say November seeing that seems to be when they released the 9000 and 9700.
    Last edited by ncbuckeye; 01-25-10 at 01:49 PM.
    01-25-10 01:44 PM
    I have no information but will say November seeing that seems to be when they released the 9000 and 9700.
    Its going to be sooner then November
    01-25-10 02:04 PM
    Palm Pre form factor is not going to happen. RIM will not do it.

In my opinion this form factor is very stupid for a Blackberry device. Wanting such a device is like wanting a high end German car that has a body kit and 24 inch chrome rims. Flashy, trendy among the young people, someones idea of what looks "good", but the manufacturer will never do it!
    I don't see why not. They came out with the storm line. That was supposed to compete with the iphone, which flashy, trendy, young people like to use. So why wouldn't a sliderberry be in the realm of possibilities? I for one, would love to see a touch sliderberry.
    01-25-10 03:57 PM
    I don't see why not. They came out with the storm line. That was supposed to compete with the iphone, which flashy, trendy, young people like to use. So why wouldn't a sliderberry be in the realm of possibilities? I for one, would love to see a touch sliderberry.

I really do think the consumers enjoy the regular one piece form factor. I do not think either the business or consumer markets will treat a slider as well as they do with regular blackberrys. It would be a niche market as far as blackberry goes and would not be one of their big sellers.
    01-25-10 04:06 PM
    Apart from the storm blackberrys are pretty much all the same form factor, I recon RIM will stay this way because it is their brand image. When you think RIM/Berry you think full qwerty candybar. Its worked so far for them.
    01-26-10 04:45 AM
    I do agree that when you first think of Blackberries, the whole candy-bar shape thing comes to mind. However, (referring to DKatri), being limited to what has always worked, stunts growth and innovation.

This is why phones like the Android phones are growing in the market, they are new and exciting and good devices. As much as I love Blackberries, they still have to grow if they don''t want to be pushed out of the Smartphone market by the competition (probably won't happen for a long time anyways).

The Storm was a shaky first step but they have to keep going if they want to catch up in the consumer market at all.
    01-26-10 04:45 PM
    I can assure you the word 'hijack' existed before terrorism. Nobody is implying that.

I do agree that when you first think of Blackberries, the whole candy-bar shape thing comes to mind. However, (referring to DKatri), being limited to what has always worked, stunts growth and innovation.

This is why phones like the Android phones are growing in the market, they are new and exciting and good devices. As much as I love Blackberries, they still have to grow if they don''t want to be pushed out of the Smartphone market by the competition (probably won't happen for a long time anyways).

The Storm was a shaky first step but they have to keep going if they want to catch up in the consumer market at all.
    Yeah I suppose they do need to grow and innovate, but I see it being much more gradual. I mean everyone is seeing the trackpad as a huge change when really its a pretty minor thing.

And as far as android phones go, when you look at who makes them, HTC for instance, have been making touchscreen phones both with and without sliders for years, and motorola are so big that they dont really have just one style, but you can see that with the first 2 android phones they put out that they are favouring a slider.

RIM has only ever really made slow iterative changes, very rarely any leaps and bounds like we have seen with palm jumping from palmOS to webOS. In the same way their form factor hasnt really changed an awful lot. Its not that I dont want them to make a slider, I would love a palm pre that was actually a blackberry (if that makes sense), I just really dont see them doing it any time soon, I'd be surprised if it happened in this generation of smartphones if it does ever happen.
    01-26-10 05:11 PM
    people say in august its coming out???
    01-28-10 02:29 PM
    Yes, August will be the release date. It has pretty much become common knowledge around the office. That is for Canada though. Don't know about other places yet. Also, I have not heard anything about the second camera on the front. Don't know where people are getting this information. If this is true, I wonder if it will be a second liquid lens camera or just a regular one? Many things to think about!
    Then as much as I was hoping to come back to BB (I miss my Curve's keyboard and email SO much) I think this might be the end of a great relationship. I will miss ToDo Matrix and all the other great stuff that is Blackberry.

This is so disappointing. First Palm screws up royally (I was a long time Treo user until Palm disappeared and I entered the Blackberry world.) They will be gone by 2011 and definitely by 2012. The Pixi was the Bold 9900 killer if it was made with the same specs as the Pre Plus. The Pre's hardware is very poor and worse is battery life. The Pixi is a watered down version of the already somewhat older specs of the Pre Plus (just got 16GB storage, internal only and only 480 x 320 resolution... Pixi even less!) Now this news about the Bold 9900 which is taking longer than a Saturn to make. When was the Treo out?

This past summer I switched to an iPhone because of an insane price that allowed me to try it out and sell it without much loss. As much as I wanted to like the Storm, it's really pitiful in many ways, especially with RIM's insistence in trying to build a better touchscreen typing keyboard that requires real presses. What a PITA and it's no more accurate than the iPhone, which I HATE to use for any kind of emailing (you can always tell who is using an iPhone for email by the insertion of ridiculous words with the right spelling.)

And now, years later, some genius in RIM connects the dots with the Treo 600 of how many years ago? Yes... there was a purpose for a hybrid that does email REALLY WELL. A touchscreen is everything if you want to do reasonably efficient web browsing. If there is an Android release of the same form factor than Blackberry is toast. Sure the phones will sell but primarily to Blackberry loyal.

Nuts... I really want to replace my iPhone with something within the next month and other than the Storm, the BB is worthless for browsing in any efficient fashion if you perform it regularly. BUMMER!!!!
    Last edited by slinky; 02-05-10 at 12:09 PM.
    02-05-10 12:06 PM
    this thread has quiet down quite a bit, where are any new updates about this device? anybody want shed any new light about this?
    02-05-10 09:59 PM
    people got tired of waiting... that's what happened...
    02-06-10 11:26 AM
    Trackpad AND touchscreen??? Count me in! Lolz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 11:49 AM
    i'm glad RIM scrapped the Magnum for the Dakota me personally I prefer the regular Trojans as I'm not big enough for a Magnum
    02-06-10 04:29 PM
    i'm glad RIM scrapped the Magnum for the Dakota me personally I prefer the regular Trojans as I'm not big enough for a Magnum
    And with all this waiting and messing around with different models, it looks like RIM is screwing itself without any protection.
    02-08-10 11:40 AM
    LOL, thought we re discussing blackberry, Gosh! you guys re fools, Heard of Camouflage?
    She wont see the release -- Dakota release ofcouse
    Last edited by orjense; 02-09-10 at 01:56 PM.
    02-09-10 11:03 AM
    sounds a verrryyy long time loll
    02-09-10 12:12 PM
    people got tired of waiting... that's what happened...
    agree! lol
    02-09-10 12:13 PM
    i dont see why this is taking so long. honestly. if palm was able to do it years ago. rim shouldnt be having such a hard time lol
    02-09-10 04:22 PM
    a real live leaked pic would be nice.
    02-14-10 12:56 AM
    a real live leaked pic would be nice.
    Oh, God, YES!!! I feel so badly for my husband because here I am, loving my 9700, and he doesn't have a new device yet. His 9000 was brand new in November, since he dropped some coffee on it and we got a brand new replacement through the insurance, but I felt so badly with a brand new model and his was the same type of device.
    C'mon, Dakota!!!!
    02-20-10 06:24 AM
254 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD