Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 09:21 PM
    Anyone think bb will go stylus?

No way, not in a million.......
    01-18-10 09:37 PM
    I can indeed confirm there will be no stylus. It was never even considered
    01-18-10 10:12 PM
    Surepress wouldn't really have any use if you are going to have a keyboard. I really hope they don't over think this. I have posted this before, but I am want is:
    Take the Bold 9000 (maybe even slightly larger), remove the row of phone and BB keys, extend the screen, make it capacitative and smooth ala iPhone, and keep the keyboard the same. Obviously this is a dumbed down description, but my point is I hope they don't do too much here.

By the way, does anyone know if this would be a GSM phone first or CDMA?
    Last edited by mush10; 01-19-10 at 01:51 PM.
    01-19-10 10:00 AM
    I love the concept of this phone but a touchscreen on a screen only *slightly* larger than the bold? Come on what's even the point?

I was kinda thinking the same thing. What are the chances that RIM comes out with a slider phone. They could make a full touch screen(no SurePress, totally sealed), and then have a slide out portion that is either a full qwerty keyboard, or even better, a surepress touch screen that could be used for typing and other touch capabilities.
    01-19-10 10:40 AM
    I do not think this is the target market for the slider. What I am saying is RIM may very well make a Slider to compliment the S3, but I think most of us who are following this device do not want a slider. We want and like the keyboard as it is, but want something with a touchscreen as well. Something like a better designed Palm Pixi.

I agree with everyone that has stated if this device is small, it will be a failure. It absolutely has to be bigger than the 9700.
    01-19-10 11:05 AM
    Im sick of people talking about blackberry slider phones. Its not going to happen, because its a stupid idea. Go to the LG forums if you like sliders, this is blackberry
    01-19-10 11:45 AM
    Im sick of people talking about blackberry slider phones. Its not going to happen, because its a stupid idea. Go to the LG forums if you like sliders, this is blackberry
    Thanks for your opinion, but I think I will stick to talking about sliders here at Crackberry. I have no interest in LG phones. There are plenty of blackberry slider rumors and patent designs out there, so to think RIM won't eventually spit one out into the market is crazy. Now, maybe this was the wrong thread to bring up a slider phone (although I was just responding to someones post about screen size), but there is no need for you to get you panties all in a bunch.
    01-19-10 12:09 PM
    the reason i joined in on this thread is because i tested the 9700 and mostly want touch screen capabilities for things like clicking on a link in stead of scrolling down and clicking with its touch pad, which i think would be useful to keep on the phone for a variety of reasons. there's no need for a giant screen unless you're a media junkie, in which case you'd probably be better off with a different brand. i want touch with pinch-zoom on a blackbery for the convenience and modernity, not so i can watch surprised kittens on youtube. on top of that, there's the fact that there are a lot of cool apps out that require touch to be used. i'd also like touch screen for things like navigation. we're already used to gps units being touch screen (even if you are just pushing buttons) and this style of phone with modern gps capabilities needs a touch-sensitive screen combined with that awesome qwerty keyboard for rim to keep a firm grasp on the market. the 9700 already feels outdated and i almost feel ashamed that i got excited about it. rim is going to do so much better. i hope this phone will be as well-designed as it seems to be shaping up to be. only time (and that elusive sighting in the wild that's just around the corner) will tell.
    Last edited by littlebastard31; 01-20-10 at 07:12 AM.
    01-20-10 06:55 AM
    the reason i joined in on this thread is because i tested the 9700 and mostly want touch screen capabilities for things like clicking on a link in stead of scrolling down and clicking with its touch pad, which i think would be useful to keep on the phone for a variety of reasons. there's no need for a giant screen unless you're a media junkie, in which case you'd probably be better off with a different brand. i want touch with pinch-zoom on a blackbery for the convenience and modernity, not so i can watch surprised kittens on youtube. on top of that, there's the fact that there are a lot of cool apps out that require touch to be used. i'd also like touch screen for things like navigation. we're already used to gps units being touch screen (even if you are just pushing buttons) and this style of phone with modern gps capabilities needs a touch-sensitive screen combined with that awesome qwerty keyboard for rim to keep a firm grasp on the market. the 9700 already feels outdated and i almost feel ashamed that i got excited about it. rim is going to do so much better. i hope this phone will be as well-designed as it seems to be shaping up to be. only time (and that elusive sighting in the wild that's just around the corner) will tell.

I agree totally.

The 9700 is a great phone but it was no reason to get excited. It is just a bold in a smaller package, with a trackpad. Yes there are a few other minor changes, nothing revolutionary. Unless form factor is an issue for someone, changing to a 9700 from a 9000 is a wasted effort, especially with the dawn of the hybrid blackberry so close. If it wasn't called the Bold2 most of us wouldnt even assume it is the successor to the 9000. It would just be another blackberry.

The wait is going to be worth it for the dakota. The new features will help producivity and make using the phone easier. I don't have any new information though.
    01-20-10 09:28 AM
    While the idea of a blackberry in a Palm Pre form factor would be cool, I dont see it happening.
    I will be really, really interested to see what this device is like, I will still upgrade to a 9700, but I suppose its a bit more of a difference going from an 8900 to a 9700 than from a 9000.
    01-20-10 09:43 AM
    While the idea of a blackberry in a Palm Pre form factor would be cool, I dont see it happening.
    I will be really, really interested to see what this device is like, I will still upgrade to a 9700, but I suppose its a bit more of a difference going from an 8900 to a 9700 than from a 9000.
    Upgrading to a 9700 from a 8900 is totally legitimate because there is enough differences in my opinion. Most people that upgraded from a 9000 to a 9700 did it just so they can say (and show off) that they have the latest and greatest blackberry.

going from a 9700 or a 9000 to a dakota will be a big difference. It will be RIM's first revolutionary qwerty since the 9000.
    01-20-10 11:58 AM
    going from a 9700 or a 9000 to a dakota will be a big difference. It will be RIM's first revolutionary qwerty since the 9000.
    Do you think we even have a shot of seeing this thing this year? It seems to me like RIM is still decided what this is going to be? Just don't feel good about this coming any time soon.
    01-20-10 12:50 PM
    Do you think we even have a shot of seeing this thing this year? It seems to me like RIM is still decided what this is going to be? Just don't feel good about this coming any time soon.

From what I know, and from what co-workers have suggested August is the tenative release date for the device.
    01-20-10 02:07 PM
    I badly wish RIM would make a BB with Palm Pre form factor (maybe a little bigger) with an awesome browser and media player and google integration. I hate the keyboard on the droid and love the keyboard on the tour but hate everything else (except the fact it works with my work email) and am getting sick of carrying both a droid and a tour. Google should buy RIM and make this phone.
    01-20-10 02:21 PM
    I badly wish RIM would make a BB with Palm Pre form factor (maybe a little bigger) with an awesome browser and media player and google integration. I hate the keyboard on the droid and love the keyboard on the tour but hate everything else (except the fact it works with my work email) and am getting sick of carrying both a droid and a tour. Google should buy RIM and make this phone.

Palm Pre form factor is not going to happen. RIM will not do it.

In my opinion this form factor is very stupid for a Blackberry device. Wanting such a device is like wanting a high end German car that has a body kit and 24 inch chrome rims. Flashy, trendy among the young people, someones idea of what looks "good", but the manufacturer will never do it!
    01-20-10 04:13 PM
    Palm Pre form factor is not going to happen. RIM will not do it.

In my opinion this form factor is very stupid for a Blackberry device. Wanting such a device is like wanting a high end German car that has a body kit and 24 inch chrome rims. Flashy, trendy among the young people, someones idea of what looks "good", but the manufacturer will never do it!
    No its not, its like wanting a full sized touch screen with a good keyboard.
    01-20-10 06:53 PM
    what kind of leather backing will this have?
    01-20-10 09:35 PM
    No its not, its like wanting a full sized touch screen with a good keyboard.

No.

Hybrid is fine. Just not a slider/ pull out keyboard.
    01-20-10 10:10 PM
    Can you guys smell something here?
    01-21-10 12:00 AM
    As I stated earlier, he said one of the mockups he saw last year had a trackball and all subsequent ones had either the trackpad or nothing at all.

Also, just wanted to say, when we spoke. He said that there *might* be a front-facing camera. He said one of the designs had a special speaker/camera insert on the front which I'm guessing would be for something like video chat or front facing pictures.

So I'm guessing that RIM will still keep the camera in the back as the main one but they might have one in the front to support video conferencing/chat etc...
    01-21-10 03:29 AM
    I hope this doesn't (d)evolve into a slider. Hate 'em. The Pre form factor is tacky.
    01-21-10 10:37 AM
    Ah so I see an "OLD" image of the dakota/magnum seems to have surfaced. It follows the Bold 9000 stylings but my friend said the update definitely follows the bold 9700 styling and is a bit thinner while still being AS big as the Bold 9000.
    01-21-10 02:41 PM
    Ah so I see an "OLD" image of the dakota/magnum seems to have surfaced. It follows the Bold 9000 stylings but my friend said the update definitely follows the bold 9700 styling and is a bit thinner while still being AS big as the Bold 9000.
    That is perfect. As long is it keeps the Bold size at minimum it should work nicely.
    01-21-10 02:54 PM
    if this holds true, i might just wait for this and pass on the 9700. i was thinking of pressing the button and buying a 9700 but the dakota might just be right replacement for me. the 9700 does look sexy in appearance though. also it is very pocket friendly. but i love my 9000 too. so what do you think, should buy a 9700 or not?
    01-21-10 08:54 PM
254 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD