Hey, all I can say is.... I really, really, really, really hope so....but I'm not holding my breath

Chad
    01-13-10 02:30 PM
    i want to see pics of this before i make my next berry purchase. this is why im holding out on the 9700.
    01-13-10 03:10 PM
    Will the 8900 and 9000 get the 5.1 OS or will trackball devices be left behind? Will the 8520 and 9700 get 5.1?
    I've heard 85xx and 97xx will get os updates. Haven't heard about 9000 or 8900 updates.
    01-13-10 07:25 PM
    Today I was told again by a different co-worker that a likely release date is August
    01-14-10 02:20 PM
    so would waiting for the dakota in stead of getting the t2 supposedly in feb be the best thing for someone looking to get a killer verizon bb i'll WANT to hang on to for a while? or will it even be for Verizon first and not come out til the next year like they're doing with the essex after the 9700? i'm not opposed to the t2/9700 but after using my friend's iphone now and then, i think this would be my ideal phone. although i was enticed, i missed the curve-olution somehow and when i got back into bb, i saw that the 8900 and bold were respected, but until the 9700 came out (and i DON'T do AT&T) there wasn't an all encompassing 3g, wi-fi, and gps bb. i was pumped and then came rumors of the magnum and if august is it, i've gone this long without a bb, so i can wait til then (b-day's just after anyway *wink*) IF and only if it'll be this year and this crazy cool. i can't let go of a QWERTY but i need some touch in my life. it is 2010. android is enticing and i'm sure the new iphone's going to be pretty cool (so will their tablet) but if you're a bb fanatic, you just gotta have one. so how sure are we that it'll be out in the fall? thanks so much for ur insight. bog, i LOVE this site!
    Last edited by littlebastard31; 01-14-10 at 02:53 PM.
    01-14-10 02:50 PM
    if memory serves, it'll be a GSM device, not CDMA
    01-14-10 03:56 PM
    On Friday I was advised BY SENIOR MANAGEMENT that this device will feature touch screen and a trackpad along with a qwerty keyboard. The screen will be slightly larger then the bold 9000
    01-16-10 12:44 PM
    On Friday I was advised BY SENIOR MANAGEMENT that this device will feature touch screen and a trackpad along with a qwerty keyboard. The screen will be slightly larger then the bold 9000
    Oh man, I really hope you are right about this, and I hate to doubt people (because as you know, I'm one of those people that others doubt), but all of this doesn't make sense.

A LOT of people are talking about the Dakota Specs and saying things like "I saw it first hand" or "my friend who works at RIM", and are also giving away all of this info on the OS capabilities, etc...

Again, I'm nobody to say this... but guys.... please remember that when we first see these phones "out in the wild" they have no OS loaded in them or the OS's are barely operable at that point... If all these people really saw the phone, played with it, etc... then the phone would've leaked by now already....

All I want to say is... at this point I'm still not willing to believe anything that has been said about this phone and the Talladega.

These phones will be out in the wild (or at least the Dakota) around March or May, then we will see what was real and what wasn't (maybe one before with no OS), but for now... I'd say don't take any of these specs seriously because you might be disappointed when the phone comes out.
    01-16-10 01:04 PM
    Oh man, I really hope you are right about this, and I hate to doubt people (because as you know, I'm one of those people that others doubt), but all of this doesn't make sense.

A LOT of people are talking about the Dakota Specs and saying things like "I saw it first hand" or "my friend who works at RIM", and are also giving away all of this info on the OS capabilities, etc...

Again, I'm nobody to say this... but guys.... please remember that when we first see these phones "out in the wild" they have no OS loaded in them or the OS's are barely operable at that point... If all these people really saw the phone, played with it, etc... then the phone would've leaked by now already....

All I want to say is... at this point I'm still not willing to believe anything that has been said about this phone and the Talladega.

These phones will be out in the wild (or at least the Dakota) around March or May, then we will see what was real and what wasn't (maybe one before with no OS), but for now... I'd say don't take any of these specs seriously because you might be disappointed when the phone comes out.
    Thank you Sal!
    01-16-10 02:06 PM
    I love the concept of this phone but a touchscreen on a screen only *slightly* larger than the bold? Come on what's even the point?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 03:35 PM
    I love the concept of this phone but a touchscreen on a screen only *slightly* larger than the bold? Come on what's even the point?

I agree...what are we going to be touching on a screen a little bit larger than the 9000? Not that I'd mind, bring it on, but jesus that's going to be tedious. If this phone comes out like Sal said, around March...I'll be paying full retail, don't care how much it is.

01-16-10 07:44 PM
    I agree...what are we going to be touching on a screen a little bit larger than the 9000? Not that I'd mind, bring it on, but jesus that's going to be tedious. If this phone comes out like Sal said, around March...I'll be paying full retail, don't care how much it is.

Well... the phone won't be coming out on March... Testing Units will leak in between March and May if the phone has an official August release.
    01-16-10 07:50 PM
    how heavy will this device be compared to the 9000?

i really don't want to be carrying around a heavy device in my pockets.
    01-16-10 10:26 PM
    Well my buddy does visual design for RIM near waterloo and he worked on clay models and pics they had done up back in august 2009 of the final device.

He wasn't allowed to steal any pics or show me because I would have immediately forwarded them to Crackberry.com guys like Sal to put on their site, but from what he told me, he said it follows the visual cues of the Bold 9700, however, it is roughly the same size length and height wise, but is definitely slimmer and thinner. He said also that it had a hybrid touch screen for things such as flick scrolling, or pinpoint navigation but would still have a qwerty keyboard.

Now the problem is, a few mockups he said he saw had the trackball at one point, and the new touchpad while both were missing on another.

I have no reason to doubt my friend because he tried selling me his onyx back in like june 2009 for about $1100 bucks and forwarded me pics but I hestitated spending so much. And he would never lie to me just because.

However, keep in mind the folks at RIM are super picky about their phones and designs, ideas are always changed last minute and so it could end up being completely different than what he saw or his team designed. Obviously RIM keeps a look at future market trends in mind.

If I hear anything else updated or he's allowed to forward some pics, I'll definitely email Kevin at crackberry or guys like Sal so they can show them.
    01-17-10 04:07 AM
    Well my buddy does visual design for RIM near waterloo and he worked on clay models and pics they had done up back in august 2009 of the final device.

He wasn't allowed to steal any pics or show me because I would have immediately forwarded them to Crackberry.com guys like Sal to put on their site, but from what he told me, he said it follows the visual cues of the Bold 9700, however, it is roughly the same size length and height wise, but is definitely slimmer and thinner. He said also that it had a hybrid touch screen for things such as flick scrolling, or pinpoint navigation but would still have a qwerty keyboard.

Now the problem is, a few mockups he said he saw had the trackball at one point, and the new touchpad while both were missing on another.

I have no reason to doubt my friend because he tried selling me his onyx back in like june 2009 for about $1100 bucks and forwarded me pics but I hestitated spending so much. And he would never lie to me just because.

However, keep in mind the folks at RIM are super picky about their phones and designs, ideas are always changed last minute and so it could end up being completely different than what he saw or his team designed. Obviously RIM keeps a look at future market trends in mind.

If I hear anything else updated or he's allowed to forward some pics, I'll definitely email Kevin at crackberry or guys like Sal so they can show them.

Not really posting anymore, but your description is correct (minus the trackball) It's not bigger than the Bold 9000 (should be )
    01-17-10 07:54 AM
    If RIM fks up this phone size, (puts on Yosemite Sam voice) oooooooooo I'm going to be fuming.

01-17-10 08:07 AM
    It has to be at least as big as the Bold 9000. Please RIM, no more mini-phones! Or, if you are still going to make them, have at least one model that is bigger.

01-17-10 09:31 AM
    We can assume that it will be at least the size of the 9000 or 9530 due to the touchscreen.
    01-17-10 09:50 AM

Not really posting anymore, but your description is correct (minus the trackball) It's not bigger than the Bold 9000 (should be )
    See man... Its great to see you here posting, but its awful to read what you just wrote "Not really posting anymore, ...." WHY?! You are one of the very few people that know what's going on We need some good advice and info from the man himself "Sinternet Jr"

Enjoy your Sunday brother.
    01-17-10 11:28 AM

lol yea right. everything about their phones is repetitive and lacks innovation. it shouldnt have even taken this long to get the dakota out.

anyway if theres no trackpad im going to be severely disappointed
    01-17-10 12:58 PM
    This gonna have sure press? haha.
    01-17-10 06:15 PM
    This gonna have sure press? haha.
    seriously! that's exactly what i was gonna have to ask next cuz it's not gonna be pretty on the forums if that's the case. i know someone already said it'll have flick-scroll capabilities which is great but what about pinch-zoom?
    01-18-10 01:24 AM
    seriously! that's exactly what i was gonna have to ask next cuz it's not gonna be pretty on the forums if that's the case. i know someone already said it'll have flick-scroll capabilities which is great but what about pinch-zoom?
    only 1 or 2 people can answer that question correctly here, and the reason why it hasn't been mentioned before its because those people talking about the Dakota and giving out fake specs have never seen it. Otherwise the first thing they would've said is "WOW THE SCREEN DOES CLICK or DOES NOT CLICK".

I would love to know that too.
    01-18-10 01:54 AM
    The hardest thing right now is that we are getting very little info re:this device. Everything is speculation until this device is released into the wild.

01-18-10 08:39 AM
    I currently do not know if the device has surepress or not. It cannot be confirmed at this time
    01-18-10 11:37 AM
254 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD