I fail to see the point of a touchscreen when you have the track pad. Sadly it appears as though Rogers won't be getting teh S2 so this will be the next upgrade as it'll be the flagship.
    10-07-09 12:02 AM
    I don't see how it can hurt anyone to have both (trackpad and touchscreen).

If you have "big" fingers then the trackpad is gonna give you the precision you need. And if you don't, then you can use the screen and still have the trackpad.

What if your fingers are greasy? I'd much rather use them on the trackpad than on the touchscreen when they're like that

I don't see how it could hurt anyone.
    10-07-09 01:11 AM

If you have "big" fingers then the trackpad is gonna give you the precision you need. And if you don't, then you can use the screen and still have the trackpad.

What if your fingers are greasy? I'd much rather use them on the trackpad than on the touchscreen when they're like that

Thanks for the great info. you provide on these phones sal! Which device do you think will be your preferred device once the Dakota comes out- the Storm2 or Dakota? Thanks!
    10-07-09 04:54 AM
    Hey Sal, Have you heard much about this device? Or better yet seen it?
    10-07-09 04:35 PM
    this device is making me want to pass on the onyx now and just wait...
    This is so true

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 08:00 PM
    I disagree, you already have different types of blackberries i.e. (Bold, Tour, Curve, Pearl). So why not make two different types of touchscreens i.e. (Surepress like the Storm and Iphone-esque with select and tap as one motion.) You cater to those of both markets.
    The difference is application development. When I said fracturing the BlackBerry ecosystem I wasn't referring to different form factors, I was referring to two different classes of applications.

Prior to the Storm apps would run on any device with the appropriate OS version. Developers did have to keep different screen resolutions in mind, but that's true of developing for desktop computers too. Now with the Storm you have touch apps and non-touch apps, it's already causing problems. The great thing though is that SurePress lets them emulate a non-touch BB, so making apps compatible with the Storm isn't too hard. If you introduce non-SurePress screens it means you introduce a 3rd class of apps, and lose the ability to emulate so cleanly. Non-SurePress apps would also require a completely different basic interface, because the interaction concepts are completely different. That means introducing new APIs which are inherently incompatible with apps for the other class of devices. It would cause too many problems, people expect BB apps to work on any BB.
    10-08-09 04:20 PM
    Thanks for the great info everyone. Can't wait for it.
    10-19-09 02:01 AM
    I'm pretty sure RIM is committed to SurePress, and it's because their entire OS is based around it. If you think about it, there are two main interactions with UI elements. Select and activate, and select and menu. There's also some cases where one only selects then rolls right/left to select again. An iPhone style touchscreen has select and activate as one action. You could do select and active as tap, and select and menu as hold, but then what do you do about select only? It would require completely different apps, you couldn't really have a compatibility mode. One thing RIM gets is that the value of a phone is tied heavily to its apps, and fracturing the BB platform even more than it already is isn't good.
    Sounds like a no.. huh?
    10-26-09 12:36 PM
    This makes me happy I got a Tour when I did.. this device looks like it's going to be coming out just as the Tour's processor starts to actually pale in comparison to the other devices, not like comparing its specs to the marginally-improved Bold2. Not to mention the HSPA+ will be in full swing for Telus by then and LTE will be that much closer - browsing/ streaming will be ridonk.
    10-27-09 09:29 PM
    if this phone has a surepress its an epic fail by rim. it already has buttons theres no need for a button screen.
    10-28-09 01:09 AM
    p.s. the trackball or trackpad should remain. they should NOT remove this just because it has a touchscreen
    10-28-09 01:12 AM
    BOLD SIZE!!!

give us one for verizon.
    No, its GSM, so its ATT and TMo!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-28-09 12:57 PM

Show us the pictures of your Dakota!!!!!
    10-28-09 01:02 PM
    My question for those of you who know the ins and outs of the GMS devices is, would I be better to wait for the Magnum/Dakota to be released on T-Mo or upgrade to the 9700. My Pearl is seriously killing me and I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm not completely sold on the 9700. It's a great device, but would like to have a hybrid touchscreen/full physical qwerty keyboard. Suggestions anyone?
    10-28-09 07:37 PM
    I can only imagine this is going to be one expensive @$$ phone
    10-28-09 07:42 PM
    Oddly enough, this device is really interesting sounding. Lol. Is RIM smoking some good sht up in Waterloo just coming up with hybrids of everything.

Maybe they will hire Lyricidal to do Hybrid OS for it. Jk.

Question: Would its touchscreen use piezo like the Odin or would it be the same lame click as the S1.
    I'm all for it, but there is nothing groundbreaking or innovative about it. Palm was doing this with the Treo line for years and if they make it into a slider you have HTC and other manufacturers thats been doing it for a while also. Its a much better combination than the regular blackberries but will still be a blackberry

No won't be anymore expensive than other blackberries on the market. I'm all for this phone if it comes out in the treo form factor and not a slide form factor. But i guess i'm not as excited as most people here because its nothing groundbreaking or new to me. Just surprises me that it took RIM this long to come out with one especially since there is a void in the market that the treo line left behind that they can profit from.
    10-28-09 11:02 PM
    I'm all for it, but there is nothing groundbreaking or innovative about it. Palm was doing this with the Treo line for years and if they make it into a slider you have HTC and other manufacturers thats been doing it for a while also. Its a much better combination than the regular blackberries but will still be a blackberry

No won't be anymore expensive than other blackberries on the market. I'm all for this phone if it comes out in the treo form factor and not a slide form factor. But i guess i'm not as excited as most people here because its nothing groundbreaking or new to me. Just surprises me that it took RIM this long to come out with one especially since there is a void in the market that the treo line left behind that they can profit from.

i have said this many times. nothing rim does is ground breaking. they jjst locked down the company market and day to day consumers are addicted to bb. the hardware would be midrange at best on any other O.S.

this is just a breakthough for blackberries. i wonder how long if ever we will have to wait for a slide out keyboard a la htc touch pro
    10-29-09 01:03 AM
    Is the magnum/dakota is going to be released for tmobile?
    Last edited by leroypinto123; 10-29-09 at 06:12 AM.
    10-29-09 05:57 AM
    Is the magnum/dakota is going to be released for tmobile?
    According to all the leaked info, yes, this is a GSM device and will go to T-Mobile if they decide to pick it up.
    10-29-09 10:21 AM
    According to all the leaked info, yes, this is a GSM device and will go to T-Mobile if they decide to pick it up.
    It better be for TMo since we don't get the Storm2.
    10-29-09 12:14 PM
    Dakota is a game changer.
    10-29-09 03:33 PM
    It better be for TMo since we don't get the Storm2.
    Verizon isn't claiming it as exclusive. There's always hope.
    Last edited by barban7; 10-29-09 at 03:49 PM.
    10-29-09 03:41 PM
    Yeah, I'll wait for it
    10-29-09 03:49 PM
    Well then i'll probably invest in RIM stock months before the release!
    10-29-09 05:59 PM
    I hope you're right.
    10-29-09 06:28 PM
254 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD