iNEED this
    09-22-09 03:43 PM
    I don't think I'd ever buy a phone that has a touchscreen and a full qwerty. Not feelin that.
    09-22-09 04:23 PM
    I don't think I'd ever buy a phone that has a touchscreen and a full qwerty. Not feelin that.
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Me personally: I avoid computers that have both a keyboard and a mouse. Wayyyy too many options for my liking.
    09-22-09 07:28 PM
    Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Me personally: I avoid computers that have both a keyboard and a mouse. Wayyyy too many options for my liking.
    lol vgbhjnnbm
    09-22-09 10:29 PM
    i also want to wait for the essex and see what its all about.
    09-23-09 12:10 AM
    While I do like the idea of a touchscreen qwerty, your analogy is godawful.
    09-23-09 05:22 AM
    I personally wouldn't mind the blend of both a touch screen & full slide out qwerty. It's obviously a big time seller on other manufactures models. It would have a combo that seems to be what people want as of now, not saying in the future that may change. My only possible objection would be the weight & size of a device like this. Lets hope it isn't a brick of a phone like the Storm
    09-23-09 12:59 PM
    I have posted this before, but I think you take a Bold size phone, remove the row where the BB button and trackball are, increase the screen size down to the keyboard, give it a nice capacitative screen that is iPhone-esque (no click please) and you have yourself a winner.
    09-23-09 01:35 PM
    I personally wouldn't mind the blend of both a touch screen & full slide out qwerty. It's obviously a big time seller on other manufactures models. It would have a combo that seems to be what people want as of now, not saying in the future that may change. My only possible objection would be the weight & size of a device like this. Lets hope it isn't a brick of a phone like the Storm
    The Magnum/Dakota, based on my interpretation of the OP's description, would be just like the Bold except that the screen would be touchscren and the trackball becomes a trackpad. No slideout keyboard.

Personally I hate sliders - having had two of them before my Bold - it's way too inconvenient to pull out the keyboard for my liking.

The touchscreen would indeed be smaller than most but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be very useful. As far as "touch functionality" goes you really don't lose much with a smaller screen except maybe less room for an onscreen keyboard which is obviously not necessary.

I feel like I would probably still use the trackpad for most of my navigation with the touchscreen being an added bonus for specific situations where it would be more efficient.
    09-24-09 08:39 AM
    I would love a LARGE screen but the more I use a touch screen (Storm & iphones) the more convinced I am that its cool but not very practical. I won't complain if a phone has a touch screen but I can't live without a Trackball/pad. When Trackpads allow flick scrolling and swiping with an accurate cursor, There's no way a touch screen could be more efficient, although they're still cool. But I gotta have room for a real keyboard!!
    09-24-09 10:04 AM
    but i wonder if it would be a true touch screen like the (gulp) iphone or palm devices, or (in my opinion) crappy "touch screen functionality" of the storm. If I have to push the screen, it's not a touch screen, it's a push screen...
    09-24-09 02:26 PM
    Supposedly one of my friends is getting this phone to write a review on it for her column...
    09-30-09 01:20 AM
    No one at all on here's managed to get ahold of one yet, or has really any info on it, I highly doubt they're giving some random person a unit.
    09-30-09 02:40 AM
    Oddly enough, this device is really interesting sounding. Lol. Is RIM smoking some good sht up in Waterloo just coming up with hybrids of everything.

Maybe they will hire Lyricidal to do Hybrid OS for it. Jk.

Question: Would its touchscreen use piezo like the Odin or would it be the same lame click as the S1.
    09-30-09 03:14 AM
    rim has a variety of devices 1 for everyone so i would think screen would be touch sensitive like the iphone
    09-30-09 06:02 AM
    No one at all on here's managed to get ahold of one yet, or has really any info on it, I highly doubt they're giving some random person a unit.

She writes for some publication...she isn't the type of person to lie about it.

I was surprised that there was not much info on the phone yet when she told me about it and I researched it.
    09-30-09 07:02 PM
    Oddly enough, this device is really interesting sounding. Lol. Is RIM smoking some good sht up in Waterloo just coming up with hybrids of everything.

Maybe they will hire Lyricidal to do Hybrid OS for it. Jk.

Question: Would its touchscreen use piezo like the Odin or would it be the same lame click as the S1.
    I would think you would just use a straight capacitive screen. The Storms are that way to "enhance" the typing experience. If you have keys, it becomes less necessary. Just a guess on my part and what I hope to see.
    10-01-09 10:34 AM
    I wanna see the Magnum lmao
    10-01-09 04:09 PM
    She writes for some publication...she isn't the type of person to lie about it.

I was surprised that there was not much info on the phone yet when she told me about it and I researched it.
    Well considering all the inside information we have access to and no one's as much as confirmed more than that the device is being worked on and isn't gonna be out for at least 6-9 months means there's no way your friend's getting one any time soon.
    10-01-09 07:30 PM
    I have posted this before, but I think you take a Bold size phone, remove the row where the BB button and trackball are, increase the screen size down to the keyboard, give it a nice capacitative screen that is iPhone-esque (no click please) and you have yourself a winner.
    That is a phone I would buy!!!!!!!!!!
    I like big screens and qwerty. It will problably be ages until a blackberry like that will come out, and it's not a new idea anyway, there's been plenty winmo devices like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 04:27 AM
    I have learned to pay attention to what's NOT listed on features of a device. I wanna know, howz the WiFi on this device. Hopefully RIM maintains a 8900 level of WiFi capability on future devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 08:12 AM
    my friend has one of these, i'll try and get my hands on it
    10-02-09 09:06 AM
    ah a true bold successor
    10-02-09 01:33 PM
    but i wonder if it would be a true touch screen like the (gulp) iphone or palm devices, or (in my opinion) crappy "touch screen functionality" of the storm. If I have to push the screen, it's not a touch screen, it's a push screen...
    I'm pretty sure RIM is committed to SurePress, and it's because their entire OS is based around it. If you think about it, there are two main interactions with UI elements. Select and activate, and select and menu. There's also some cases where one only selects then rolls right/left to select again. An iPhone style touchscreen has select and activate as one action. You could do select and active as tap, and select and menu as hold, but then what do you do about select only? It would require completely different apps, you couldn't really have a compatibility mode. One thing RIM gets is that the value of a phone is tied heavily to its apps, and fracturing the BB platform even more than it already is isn't good.
    10-06-09 04:35 PM
    I disagree, you already have different types of blackberries i.e. (Bold, Tour, Curve, Pearl). So why not make two different types of touchscreens i.e. (Surepress like the Storm and Iphone-esque with select and tap as one motion.) You cater to those of both markets.
    10-06-09 11:00 PM
254 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD