After seeing Sal post this tidbit on his blog, I am hoping we start to see some information coming on this device.

THE-COOL-GUY-REPORT: Remember the Blackberry Magnum?

Remember a while ago, probably 6 months ago, we all heard about this "mythical" Berry called "The Magnum"? We all thought it was going to have a touchscreen, full QWERTY keyboard, and it was supposed to be the size of a Bold. So, what ever happened to that phone?

I guess the answer to that one is easy:

1) Name: Dakota
    2) Size: Bold size
    3) full QWERTY keyboard
    4) GSM 3G speeds
    5) Has a trackpad <--- yes, you read correctly
    6) Has a touchscreen (this is where the angels start singing)
    7) Its development is AHEAD of the Blackberry Essex. Yep, we are going to see this bad boy really soon.

Would you be interested in buying it?
    I am very intrigued by the this is ahead of the Essex quote. This would finally be the perfect Berry in my mind. (Browser improvement of course). Hopefully the information can start rolling in.
    09-18-09 02:52 PM
    Its development is AHEAD of the Blackberry Essex. Yep, we are going to see this bad boy really soon.
    Yes, the development started before the Essex, but that doesn't mean you're going to see it anytime soon.
    09-18-09 03:00 PM
    Yes, the development started before the Essex, but that doesn't mean you're going to see it anytime soon.
    Wishful thinking then.
    09-18-09 03:07 PM
    I guess what I mean to say its that we won't have to wait for years
    09-18-09 04:06 PM
    You're right Sal. No worries.
    09-18-09 04:25 PM
    Does that mean we could see an early 2010 release of something like this. I love my blackberry's I started with the original and moved up to the 7130G and now I am looking at replacing my 8310. I have been looking at the Samsung Omnia 2 and the HTC pro2 as I like my wife LG Xenon with the slide out and touch face screen interface.

It seems these other companies are leaving RIM behind with the advances in technologies.
    09-18-09 04:34 PM
    Trackpad and Touchscreen? Aren't they a little contradictory? I'm sure there is a reason for it. Any ideas or facts?
    09-18-09 05:27 PM
    Trackpad and Touchscreen? Aren't they a little contradictory? I'm sure there is a reason for it. Any ideas or facts?
    I see what you are saying, but its the best of both worlds. Whenever you have greasy fingers just use the trackpad like a regular berry, and whenever you are feeling adventurous just go with the touchscreen LOL
    09-18-09 05:30 PM
    It does seem a bit silly to have both options.

Maybe RIM are putting all there eggs in one basket.

Stick with one method i say and build round it.

would be interesting to see what they would come up with intergrating both input methods.
    09-18-09 06:20 PM
    Plenty of phones have had both. Touchpad for precise movements and navigating menus, and touch screen for hitting buttons and general touch screen funnery. I found navigating menus on the storm crap, but with a trackpad, problem would be solved.
    09-18-09 07:02 PM
    this device is making me want to pass on the onyx now and just wait...
    09-18-09 08:21 PM
    It could be a year+ out. We haven't seen any in the wild, no one's seen prereleases, specs, or any details really except what Salomondrin's leaked. You'd probably be safe getting an Onyx and one of these when they eventually come out.
    09-18-09 08:41 PM
    im in same boat yo, and cant upgrade till april
    09-18-09 09:46 PM
    I just don't understand you people who are so unimaginative that you can't fathom the use of a trackpad/trackball AND a touchscreen. I mean seriously...think outside the box for half a second.

That being said - I'd love to see this soon - I actually had thoughts of trying the oh-so-little Onyx to see if I could actually enjoy it without being Bold-sized but this might keep that thought at bay.
    09-18-09 09:51 PM
    BOLD SIZE!!!

give us one for verizon.
    09-18-09 09:57 PM
    Sorry GSM only, apparently Verizon doesn't really care about phones as they said the network is more important then having sexy phones...
    09-18-09 10:33 PM
    sal, can you clarify in how soon is really soon?
    09-18-09 11:29 PM
    Sorry GSM only, apparently Verizon doesn't really care about phones as they said the network is more important then having sexy phones...
    thats a kicker... cdma is really getting ripped off on bb lately
    09-18-09 11:45 PM
    I guess it is just me but... I burned out on this one. I waited and waited and posted (http://forums.crackberry.com/f150/bo...master-276578/) and then waited some more...

I'm getting an Onyx or a S2 as soon as the two are out available to touch and feel.

Is it just me, or RIM are spreading themselves thin lately becoming slow to deliver? Each device is rumoured for at least a year before we get to touch it and then another six months to finally reach consumers? Seriously folks, it takes 6 months to develop a car and launch it - as cool and awesome BBs are, they cannot possibly take so much time to dev and launch...

And there we have it - the early Saturday rant
    09-19-09 01:47 AM
    Is it just me, or RIM are spreading themselves thin lately becoming slow to deliver? Each device is rumoured for at least a year before we get to touch it and then another six months to finally reach consumers? Seriously folks, it takes 6 months to develop a car and launch it - as cool and awesome BBs are, they cannot possibly take so much time to dev and launch...

And there we have it - the early Saturday rant
    I agree to a point. The biggest problem is many of the phones are the same thing with basically minor tweaks.

However, you have to remember when you follow phones on sites such as this you are getting insight to leaked information. Therefore you may hear about a phone 6 months prior to anyone even wanting to you. Obviously, to us addicts, this is a blessing and a curse.

Good news. Thanks for the info as always. This is certainly the device I am hoping RIM to make.

I would never wait. Get the ONYX and enjoy it. Who knows when this thing comes out. You will always be able to sell your ONYX to buy the Dakota.
    09-19-09 07:46 AM

However, you have to remember when you follow phones on sites such as this you are getting insight to leaked information. Therefore you may hear about a phone 6 months prior to anyone even wanting to you. Obviously, to us addicts, this is a blessing and a curse.

This is very spot on, and that's how the agony begins.
    09-19-09 07:55 AM
    I found navigating menus on the storm crap, but with a trackpad, problem would be solved.
    Couldn't agree more.
    09-19-09 07:58 AM
    i just hope the touchscreen is more like the samsung omnia hd i8910. my buddy has it and its very tempting for me to get rid of my bb bold. i love the screen and the tactile feedback is perfect.
    09-19-09 10:08 AM
    please. NO SUREPRESS
    09-19-09 10:23 AM
    I don't see the problem with having both. As mentioned before you can used the trackpad/ball for navigating and the touch screen for selection. Since i switched from a storm to a tour there are plenty of time when i just want to tap the screen and other times when i had the storm i wish i was able to scroll over with the trackball. Personal preference i guess
    09-19-09 11:25 AM
254 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD