Not to add to the flames here but I never bothered checking my Bold 9700 to see where it was made, so just now I flipped it over, took the battery out and mine says Mexico 4.

By the way, I've always had issues with my "Send" key and issues with my trackpad.

So rack another one up for poor quality from Mexico and I've got nothin' again Mexico or Mexicans...I married one and she's one HOT HISPANIC! ;-) So I didn't marry her just for the jokes! lol!
    lzeng likes this.
    09-03-11 01:08 AM
    Hungary made ones are all perfect.

It's a shame that in Canada they have Mexico built ones. Not saying all Mexico built ones are bad, but they have a high number of defective unit due to dodgy Quality Control.

With Hungary units, you don't even need to check the BlackBerry, you just buy it and go home to enjoy.
    Absolute BS...i have a hungary made 9900 and it has a trackpad that leans to the left...no big deal for me and the screen is a yellow-ish tint to it...again no big deal but then im not anal ****wit who wants a perfect device....ive had 3 9700's made in hungary, again all with slight build defects and ive also had 2 torches and 2 9780's all built in hungary with build issues.
    andy957 and drfever like this.
    09-03-11 10:43 AM
    I agree with the OP am doing the same thing with her
    I won't but a mexico 9900 90% of them are defective as evidenced by people's rant on this 9900 forum
    I would buy a hungary 9900 with a korea/china battery
    Like the op, I can return it once only so I have to be carefull too
    So OP yes, try and get a hungary made 9900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    lzeng likes this.
    09-03-11 01:22 PM
    Xterra, it isn't 90% of the time. It's that 90% of people who have problems get on the forums to ask for help/complain:P

As to me, Made in mexico 9930 via Verizon. Not a problem on my first one. Made in Japan battery, gets good life.
    09-03-11 02:29 PM
    mine made mexico4 squeky trackpad and the plastic between the contacts bending a little bit out, but no deal breaker.

my torch was also mexico4 wobbling like ****.

if you can't get one out of hungary try to get one from mexico5 they seem to have less issues.

I don't understand it anyway why are we in europe receive mexico4 ones and in the US bold's out of hungary are sold. weired
    09-03-11 02:54 PM
    Telus in Canada seems to have the most Made in Canada units. That said, I never experienced any issues with my Mexico 9800 (that weren't caused by me). I just traded into a Canadian Torch for the same reasons people buy white vs. black. The Canadian Torch has a better keyboard but more screen wobble. The trackpad has a crisper click but is also canted slightly upwards. The Canadian Torch's battery door is looser and the bezel creaked until I greased it.

I wouldn't correlate build issues with country of origin. You just hear less about Hungary and Canada made units because less exist here. 100% of the Rogers phones I checked were Mexico, and the manager there said she hadn't seen a Canadian phone in years (she also had a thing for Canadian made BBs).
    09-03-11 04:14 PM
    lol just get a phone already...your prob. going to fuss over it all this time then drop it in the toilet in a week. Its murphys laws...u can run but u cant hide

what about getting it a futureshop or bestbuy so you can get a 3year protection plan to protect your investment.
    Jake90087 likes this.
    09-04-11 09:02 AM
    I wouldnt care if I wasnt using my own money to pay for the phone im 15 and work a part time job and have to pay for my phone bills and I have school soon I dont want the phone to have any problems this is the first expensive thing I have to pay for with my own earned money..
    I would love to watch you buy a car and later in life buy a house with your current attitude at minor "defects". It's just a freeking phone.
    09-04-11 09:23 AM
    I have two 9900....
    one bought in Switzerland in one of the local cell companies shop ( swisscom )
    made in Mexico4....even if Hungary is just a few hundred KM away......and the one i bough a few weeks a go is from Hungary and i bought it in India.
    Both are working perfectly

They are letting you break the seal on every box??

With respect, I highly doubt that.
    it is written on the outside of the box
    Last edited by Ti-Mike; 09-04-11 at 10:07 AM.
    09-04-11 09:55 AM
    If you are in Canada, you should call 1-800 number for RIM like I did and complain about Mexico made low quality. I did that and I received an email saying they are looking in to it. If we all do that, this will get noted by RIM's upper management for sure.
    09-04-11 09:58 AM
    Telus in Canada seems to have the most Made in Canada units. That said, I never experienced any issues with my Mexico 9800 (that weren't caused by me). I just traded into a Canadian Torch for the same reasons people buy white vs. black. The Canadian Torch has a better keyboard but more screen wobble. The trackpad has a crisper click but is also canted slightly upwards. The Canadian Torch's battery door is looser and the bezel creaked until I greased it.

I wouldn't correlate build issues with country of origin. You just hear less about Hungary and Canada made units because less exist here. 100% of the Rogers phones I checked were Mexico, and the manager there said she hadn't seen a Canadian phone in years (she also had a thing for Canadian made BBs).
    In Calgary BestBuy Mobile, Telus Canada has the most Mexico units and has the most problems so far.
    09-04-11 09:59 AM
    That's a very good idea actually mss-ca, if everyone thinks and acts like you, we will soon have at least 90% quality BlackBerry phones.

If we all just say "yeah get real its just a squeaky trackpad" and let RIM get away with it, then chances are, this is all we will get in the future QNX devices too
    Thanks, I work at BestBuy Mobile while going to school. I got permission from store manager to tell my customers who come back with issues on their BB 9900 for exchange to call 1-800 specially if it is made in Mexico. (even after BestBuy exchange their phone) I hope this generates a **** load of calls for RIM.
    09-04-11 10:11 AM
    thank you for proving my point ! and I only get one exchange so I want the phone to be perfect im gonna be on a 3 year contract and I want it to at least last me two years
    Really?
    I exchanged 4 phones 9700 model made in Hungary, i am at the 5th now (2 in shop when choosing(poor build), 1 after 1 year of usage (trackpad), 1 after 10 month of usage(screen).
    Now i am expecting a replacement for my 9900 made in Hungary. (trackpad).

I really can say that the quality control departaments are full of idiots.
    12-05-11 09:03 AM
    Here in indonesia, we have mexico and hungary units. Mine is just lucky unbranded hungary unit, havent had any problems. The first batch of 9790 launched here most have slanted/squaky trackpads.. they were made in Taiwan. I guess quality control issues are everywhere. My friend's hungary 9900 woke up to a bricked phone, not nuked.
    12-05-11 10:39 AM
    Uk phone made in Mexico. No issues with build quality here.
    12-06-11 03:20 AM
    my first 9900 was a mexico 4 and apart from being unable to charge the phone everything was perfect. i went back to my carrier and got a replacement unit from Hungary and it was perfect!
    12-06-11 05:14 AM
    how do you know some of the issues you listed are defects. Have you seen a Hungary made 9900 and compared it to the mexico ones.

probably takes you a few hours to choose a loaf of bread. Extreme nit picking
    The OP mentioned that he/she is 15yo. Case closed!
    12-06-11 05:36 AM
    I would love to watch you buy a car and later in life buy a house with your current attitude at minor "defects". It's just a freeking phone.
    See my previous post.
    12-06-11 05:38 AM
    mine is made in mexico 4 and it's perfect.
    12-06-11 07:11 AM
    Mine is made in Mexico and works like a charm no problems....Viva Mexico!
    Right on!!
    12-06-11 09:01 AM
    Give the kid a break already! He's 15 and about to spend his hard earned money on a new toy for himself! I get it!

Mexico 9900 here, and have had no real probs. Bricked once for no apparent reason, but upgrading the OS to .540 seems to have solved the problem, as well as poor battery issues. Do that right away and you should be fine. Great phone; very happy with it. As with any device, be prudent and back up regularly with deskto manager and use Blackberry protect as well. For added piece of mind, buy the carrier protection from Telus for an extra $7/mth if you can afford it. Drop the protection after the first year because it doesn't make sense to carrier it through the entirety of your 3yr contact.

Just my 2 cents.
    12-06-11 10:02 AM
    I currently have a MEXICO 5 9900 from my local carrier Globe in the Philippines which has a 7 day exchange warranty only + 1 year service after that. I'm currently on my 5th day. As another poster here advised check for build issues I did. The * key made a different sound at first but soon had the same sound as the others (broke em' in) on the 3rd day. The trackpad is very slightly crooked by 1mm (and this is nitpicking already ;P) otherwise it's perfect. I updated the OS to 7.0.0.579 and have charged from 3% to 100%. Charged again from shutdown to 100% running on for 18hrs straight and did not brick. All my compatible apps from my 9780 were transferred and have 2 days battery life with moderate use, 3 updating apps in the background on 3G/Edge combo (where ever I am). Screen color is as it should be white (unlike a yellowish hue of my 9800).

I hope this one is a keeper.

My wife has a Javelin 8900 mexico 3 and was bought 2nd hand in 2009 she's been using it ever since. She has dropped it countless times, was holding it and used it to absorb a fall with it face down. Me throwing it to the wall�(battery deformed) 0_o. And have only updated to recently to a later OS. She's even thinking 2x in getting a 9360 when the 8900 still works perfectly.

Getting a physically perfect 9900 may appease you initially but what happens when it crashes on the 2nd day and nuked revival methods prove futile?

Get a unit that is the best of the lot if hungary made ones proved elusive. There are Mexican made ones that indeed meets/exceeds expectations...
    02-05-12 05:45 AM
    my device in made in mexico to, and by now all works great.....no problems at all
    02-05-12 06:46 AM
    virgin mobile they dont have a seal on it cause they have to put the sim card package inside the box so its already opened and I have mexico 4 I've tried two more and they still have problems
    I think it will take more to keep you happy than RIM offers. These "defects" you mention can happen to devices built anywhere. You have been reading this forum too much as the Mexican units do not have a higher failure rate.
    02-05-12 07:24 AM
    Give the kid a break already! He's 15 and about to spend his hard earned money on a new toy for himself! I get it!

Mexico 9900 here, and have had no real probs. Bricked once for no apparent reason, but upgrading the OS to .540 seems to have solved the problem, as well as poor battery issues. Do that right away and you should be fine. Great phone; very happy with it. As with any device, be prudent and back up regularly with deskto manager and use Blackberry protect as well. For added piece of mind, buy the carrier protection from Telus for an extra $7/mth if you can afford it. Drop the protection after the first year because it doesn't make sense to carrier it through the entirety of your 3yr contact.

Just my 2 cents.
    Even a kid at 15 needs to learn about real life!
    02-05-12 07:26 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD